Siladen Resort & Spa
US$59
US$125
US$101
Priceline
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
Onong Resort(Manado)
  • Beachfront
Bahowo Lodge(Manado)
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsfishsiladen resortdive sitesgreat divingbunaken marine parkdive stafflunch and dinnerpastanorth sulawesibeach frontmanado tuabuffet stylethe reefsoutdoor bathroomdive shopmuck divinglow tide
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Went to Siladen in September and we had a fantastic trip. I've been diving and taking pictures for 20 years and there are only a few places in this world I would go back to more than once; Galapagos, Palau and now Siladen. The resort was clean and well maintained and as always in Indonesia the Staff was friendly and attentive. We really we to dive though and we were not disappointed. Stefan and Valentina run the diving and they were both very knowledgeable and friendly. Valentina was especially good at locating the macro critters on our check list and Stefan was spending his time doing advanced training for our group. It was nice that we had a dive staff catering to what we wanted to see and do. The start of every dive day began with want do you want to see and how can we help. Too many times dive resorts tend to go through the motions, not at SIladen. I primarily dove with Deli and I can't say enough about his service and skills. Ok what did we see: dolphins, turtles galore, sharks, napolean wrass, baracuda, squid, octopus, cuttlefish (mating), mandarin fish, frogfish, jumbo shrimp, jacks, tuna, nudibranchs, bat fish, eagle rays, eels, pipefish, all the little crabs etc etc.

What can I say, this place was great.

Room Tip: Get a beach view
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robert W
Danidive, General Manager at Siladen Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Dear Robert W,

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay in the resort and I hope that you will come again to visit us soon.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Siladen.. for somebody like me, not poor, nor rich (at all), Siladen was a dream come true. When i got there, the staff was incredibly nice from the beginning!Every client is personally taken care of, with smiling, friendly people!We had a beach view room. I appreciated the privacy of the room. Though the light inside the bungalows were too dim (difficulty seeing through our drawers), the room was really well kept and cleaned. I loved the hotel body soap!!!

When my friend got bitten by a santepeed (well, we are in the jungle!), the staff and crew where really nice and took care of her all day long! The locals even got their own remedee to help her (and it really did!)

The resort is on an island with tides, so the see isn't right up on the beaches at all times. You have to be careful no to walk on the coral if you want to go for a swim. I would generally take a nap in the afternoons (when it was low tide) or go for a swim in the beautiful pool... (if I wasn't diving of course!).

The only thing that is too bad (and that isn't the resorts fault) Is the trash floating around. You can see here and there some plastic bags or bottles floating around.. the indonesians aren't very aware yet of the environmental issues... they still have things to learn. I appreciated though seeing the staff of the hotel picking what they could when they would stumble across some trash in the waters. You could see some trash floating around, but i didn't at all bother the general ambiance of the resort.

The food.. wow!!! full buffet for breakfast and lunch, with a "a la carte* menu in the evening. To not waste food, they would ask us at lunch time what we wanted to order for the evening from the menu card, i thought the way of doing was a good idea! The cocktails from the bar were beautiful!The barman so friendly!

Everybody comes here for... the diving!!! wow! i had a blast! the dive teachers were really nice and friendly!I did my advanced and nitrox class and felt really taken care of! One evening, i was the only one wanting to do a night dive. they could have cancelled it being the only person, but they didn't! I had the whole boat to myself with the most smiley and friendly people taking care of me!I really appreciated the dive teachers, they taught me a lot of thing to progress on my diving, they showed a lot of things under water all by respecting the sea and it's inhabitants. Under water, they would also pick up the trash if they saw plastic bags floating around... we were never crowded on the boats, never more than 4 divers with one guide. It was mostly reef walls, so much to see!

The spa was also really nice, with wonderful women taking care of you and making your stay that much more relaxing!

When you go to siladen, you have to keep in mind that the sodas and cocktails have to be paid for, same thing for the massages. The prices could seem expensive, but you have to keep in mind that most of the things come from the maneland, it takes a certain organisation and budget to get everything on the island. Also, the massages are more expensive than the ones I had elsewhere in indonesia, but still, very cheap compared to european prices.. (100 CHF for 4 1 hour massages!!!)

I would go back any time!I even sent a post card to my travel agency, thanking them for bringing me to this place! It is not a party time kind of resort, and i really appreciated that. You never feel overcrowded and I was really able to rest. Also, they can take care of your kids while you are diving, and have a family bungalow also!

Room Tip: beach views: really worth the cost!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Valerie B

Dear Valerie B,

I am extremely happy to know that you have enjoyed so much our resort and I hope that in the future you will be visiting us again.
Thank you very much for the beautiful comments!

Reviewed 11 December 2012

We visited the Siladen Resort and Spa in September. We first spent a week in Singapore and then made our way to Siladen to round out our trip. The resort had a great mix of International divers which brought much diversity and interest to the diving and dining at the resort. We enjoyed the beach front accommodations and the mix of Indonesian and Italian cuisine.

Upon our arrival at the resort, we were greeted by Valentina. She introduced us to the resort and the diving. She was thorough in understanding the diving skills and desires for our group of 4. She also introduced us to the other excursions available during our stay. The following morning we met Stefan and Delly on the dive boat. Our group of 4 spent the rest of the week diving with this trio. They did a fantastic job of showing us some wonderful diving in Siladen. They were knowledgeable about the conditions, the dive profiles and the creatures that we would encounter. They were inquisitive about the skills, abilities, and interests of everyone on the boat. The dives and the boat assignments were then coordinated to accommodate everyone. Valentina, Stefan, and Delly were just as excited as the guests about finding interesting and unique creatures on each dive. Stefan and Valentina were essential in communicating on the boats. The dive crew was very competent, but communicating in English may have otherwise been a challenge. The Dive Masters and crew were hard working, friendly, and helpful. They were creative in trouble shooting gear issues and loaning equipment to make sure no one missed out on a dive. They met the needs of the beginners as well as the most experienced on our boats.
The staff in the resort were very friendly and helpful. The spa staff (two massage therapists) left a little to be desired.
We have been diving for 15+ years and this is a resort we would recommend and return to.
The dive conditions were pleasant and easy. The reefs are in great shape with lots of life. We also went on the pilot whale/dolphin excursion and the jungle tour. Both were well worth while for a change of pace. September was a great month to visit - no mosquitos and great weather and conditions!!!!

Room Tip: Beach front for wonderful sunset and quiet solitude
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Cmr,

thank you for the beautiful comments.
I hope that you will come back to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 9 December 2012

Hi! I will try to write my opinion in English (so, sorry if any mistake): I have been in Siladen Resort for 4 days with my wife and we really enjoyed it. The resort is really nice. The rooms are all build in wood. Our bungalow was in front of the sea, every morning we woke up with a wonderfull view of the sea from our bed!! The rooms are well furnished, all Indonesian style, maybe a little bit too dark inside (romantic but no good for reading a book). The toilet was opened, it was wonderfull to have a shower feeling yourself in the midle of paradise... (By the way, the soap was wonderfull... smells to cinammon!).
They have an excellent pool, the food is delicious, I specially reccomend the Tuna Salad, the Catch of the Day (fish, of course) and.... pasta!

We came to Siladen mainly for diving and our expectations were more than satisfactorily met. The Diving Centre was very well runned by Stephan and Valentina. Very proffessional both. They were also most helpful in our diving experience, always trying to find nudibranches, squids, turtles and many more for us. On the boat, you always get some hot tee and fruits after every dive. As my wife and I did not really know too much about all fish we saw there, the monitors always were glad to explain all details about the decens of different fish and nudibranches we saw.
The diving material was on an excellent condition, we felt very save in all moment, they all took care of us.

As a sum up, this is an excellent place for a holiday with your couple or with friends. Specially if you like diving or snorkling. Delicious food and a quiet resort for having a good rest.

Room Tip: They all seem to be nice, but I reccomend the ones in front of the beach.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IñakiS S

Dear Inakis S,

thank you for your great comments.
For your information we have changed all the lighting system in the rooms and know there is much more light inside.
I hope that we will host you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Where do I start? Our pictures are worth a thousand words...
Room: Our "ocean view" room was obstructed by trees and the room was dark; we called it "the cave". When brought to their attention, Siladen called the lack of lighting "romantic". We had to use flashlights during the day to go through our luggage! The room was filthy- light switch, feces on toilet, dusty, sheets were stained, bed canopy was filthy, weird drippy brown stains on lampshades. The towels were over-deodorized (my skin smelt like the yucky cheap detergent after using it), shower water had a septic smell, sink didn't drain, no WIFI access in your room (only in lobby/pool area, which is really inconveinent when you want to look things in your room; like finding another resort to stay at to get out of Siladen), no hot/cold water tank in room (we went through tons of little plastic water bottles. Poor choice for a resort that claims to be environmentally-friendly.)
Food: We had gastrointestinal issues the first few days after every meal. We wound up relying on Peptobismol to make it throught the days. The food looks like its fresh, but it rides dirty.
Diving: The Indonesian staff (as with all places we've stayed in Indonesia) were very nice. The dive guides were good, however they were touching everything underwater! It was hands on, pulling things apart to get at a critter- it was a real turn-off. The Italians running the dive shop were unprofessional to say the least; napping on the dive boat, first through the buffet line past guests at lunch/dinner, ignoring me at the dive desk and carrying on like im not standing there..also there is no camera room- a dingy, dirty classroom with a desk is what you'll find here. Most of the diving here is all wall dives- lots of coral, we saw more on the night dives then we did during the day.
Boat: Dive boat was usually not crowded, but around 11:45 when we returned from the dives, we'd have to walk through the local village to get back to the resort- This was a 10-15 minute walk back with our dive camera, wet towels, etc. I could see this happening once or twice, but it was regularly, morning and afternoons- every time the tide was out we'd have to hike to and from the resort. Be prepared to see emaciated dogs everywhere- sad.
Overall: the pool was beautiful- its huge and newly tiled. Staff are attentive. Room had a tv with some cable channels, mini bar...but other than that, I'd say this place was a real let down. Siladen is overpriced, expensive and wasteful. When you are at Siladen to dive in a protected marine park and you see water bottles, trash bags, plastic trash floating everywhere, it is ridiclious that there are no water tanks in the room and that every guest, throught the day is getting new little water bottles to stay hydrated! Reducing waste is the KEY to keeping these area prestine- Siladen just doesn't seem to care. See our pictures and decide for yourself.
We made the best out of this trip (praying that the last resort we came from would have a cancellation and could take us back) but I would NOT recommend or return to Siladen until they work on the basics: water tanks in rooms, room and food sanitation, treating all guests equally (not just the Italians as mentioned in other guest reviews) and stop mishandeling the marine life.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Daniella67
siladenresort, General Manager at Siladen Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2012

We always have great respect for the views of our guests. First I would like to clarify that during your stay with us you never contacted me to point out to any of the short comings you have highlighted in your review. In fact when I asked how your stay was, you continued to state all was well. Perhaps your negative review of the Resort stems from the fact that when you asked our Diving Center Manager to refund your diving because of your alleged stomach bug he told you it is not the Resort's policy to offer such refunds. You insisted so much we nevertheless offered you some freebies. But your stomach bug could not have been that bad if at the end of your holiday at Siladen you had completed 19 dives (you had booked 15) and your wife completed 16 (she also booked 15). The Diving Center Manager's inability to offer you a refund may have also prompted you to criticize him in your review though looking at other guests's reviews Stefan and Valentina get top marks from just about every guest for how they manage our diving operation.

We do agree with one aspect of your review, also highlighted by other guests, and that is that our villas are currently dark. This is a problem we are currently addressing and hope to have solved shortly. The rest of your review is clearly aiming at getting back at the Resort.

Rooms and bathrooms at the Resort are cleaned twice a day. There is simply no way the bathroom was left in the condition you describe in your review. If you had spent more time asking me about our policies I could have explained that we do not have hot/cold water dispensers in the rooms for reasons of hygiene. And yes we do place complementary water in plastic bottles in villas. Yes this is not the most "ecological" of choices but we do recycle 100% of the plastic we use, as well as glass, aluminum and organics from the kitchen. We have also started a garbage collection program in the village of Siladen and while walking through the village you may have noticed large canisters disseminated throughout the village. Every guest has always found the 10 minutes stroll through the village pleasant and interesting as the villagers are extremely friendly. If you had asked for help, one of our staff would have been delighted to assist you in carrying your camera.

The Resort cannot be blamed for the plastic pollution at sea which depends on the policies of the local Government not on those of our Resort. We do our best, as I indicated earlier, to take care of our grounds and to educate the local villagers. We also carry out regular clean up activities with the local school children. So I am sorry to say that we "do care" and in fact spend a lot of time looking after the environment and identifying ways to reduce waste (at least our own).

Last but not least I will not comment on your criticism of our dining experience. There are numerous reviews on this site, including as recent ones as yours, praising the exceptional quality of our food.

In conclusion, though we respect your opinion, we feel you review was motivated by personal resentment rather than honest observation of our operation.

Kind regards,