“Nice cabns, not so nice owner!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whiteway
Blazing Horizon Cottages
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just got back from these cabins/ restaurant. Called in June to make a reservation and was totd there was only one night available. Booked it and sent an email the end of June asking questions about the particular night I booked. Owner responded but did not say " just to let you know....you have to booked for two nights". The day before we went we got a message wondering why we had not checked in the day before. I called and thought it would get straightened out. What I got was a very rude response of how I had put her out since others wanted to book a cabin I didn't even book. No problem with the misunderstanding but among the worse customer service I have encountered! You will enjoy these cabins as long as you don't have any issues! After much discussion, we got a bit of a discount. Should gave us more with other issues such as very dirty BBQ with no brush to clean it...a brush there but no bristles on it! One bathroom completely shut down in a 4 bedroom. Could be fixed until Monday. Told story of how a child put something down the toilet.....not my issue! Not much good for us.... 41/2 star?? Not in my books. My main issue with all of this was the costumer service. If I was told...."Sorry about what happened, I will do whatever to make up for it." all would have been fine. Instead we got a rude response and every excuse you could think of as why she was right and we were wrong. Need to start remembering the customer is paying the bills and keeping your business running.To top it off we got overcharged for our lunch! $48 for two bowls of soup and a sandwich! Never again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Joanne M

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Upfront disclaimer: we didn't stay here. We stayed at the nearby (5 minutes walking distance) Ocean's Delight Cottages, but we peeked into these cottages while we were dining at the associated Brown's restaurant (which was not good, but that's for another review).

I am writing this review for those who are undecided between the Ocean's Delight cottages and the Blazing Horizon cottages (as I was when I was first looking at accommodation in the area).

From what we saw at the Blazing Horizon (and experienced at Ocean's Delight), your better bet is the Blazing Horizon cottages. Two things struck us: (i) the Blazing Horizon cottages are much more modern and sizeable (we acted like stalkers and peeked in the windows of what we hoped was an unoccupied cottage) and (ii) each cottage at Blazing Horizon is better separated for privacy (they are located vertically to each other, rather than horizontally as is the case at the Ocean's Delight cottages) .

Take your pick (of course) but had I known what I now know, I would've picked Blazing Horizon.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank KEP55
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Awesome view, cozy and roomy, it was just like being at home. It had a Jacuzzi tub, full size fridge and stove and a kitchen table, a place to sit outside and a fire pit, we were only there for one night so didn’t get a chance to explore what was nearby. The cottage we had, had another cottage right beside it with an adjoining door so if you had a large group it would be great, There is a restaurant close by, the good was good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CherylEdmonton
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We stayed at Blazing Horizons for 2 nights in July. Wish it could have been longer. The cottage was a delight. So clean, quiet and gorgeous view. A great price too. I would definitely stay here again. Just a short walk up to Brown's restaurant. Home cooked meals were so delicious.
The owner is so friendly and helpful and made us feel so "at home".

Room Tip: Ideal for someone who has problems with mobility. View from any of the cottages is great.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marilyn H
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights and we couldn't have been happier. We booked online, and when we drove up to the KYRA cottage we were SO pleasantly surprised. The price we paid is a complete VALUE!!! Believe me. We had up to date furnishings, comfy linens, lots of pillows and cushions. Full kitchen and full bathroom with bathrobes even! We were in the 3 bedroom cottage and felt like we were at our home away from home. There was a fire place too. We felt so peaceful with the Shag Rock views on Trinity Bay and the forest beside us. Heavenly!! I only wish we could have spent more time there to enjoy the local sights and have a fire in our firepit, or a BBQ. We enjoyed eating at Brown's Restaurant on site, a couple of times. The staff led by Barb, are just incredible and SO friendly. Everything we ever heard of the friendly people in Newfoundland is true at this establishment! Absolutely perfect, and if we ever are back in that area, we will certainly be staying at Blazing Horizons again!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We didn't stay at the cottages but we ate at the restaurant 3 times. The menu is extensive & the food is really good. Friendly staff & management. Next time in NL, we'll stay at the cottages. They look great.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2011

We have stayed at these beautiful cabins twice now and tried a third time (spur of the moment and they were booked up unfortunately!). The restaurant has THE BEST staff and the food is fantastic! We love staying here and traveling into the city for shopping and it's great that these cabins are only approx. 45 minutes from St. John's! I would stay here anytime and travel that distance than stay in the city for the same price and not near as comfortable as this!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Been to Blazing Horizon Cottages? Share your experiences!