“Great service and a LOT of flavour!”
Review of Dan's Kitchen

Dan's Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in St Helens
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Great service and a LOT of flavour!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was our first visit to Dan's Kitchen, having heard good things. Firstly, it's a very nice 'light' restaurant, and because it's quite small and busy, it has a good atmosphere. The staff were all very attentive, and worked well as a team. It's often annoying when you get 3 or 4 people serving you and they're all asking the same questions, but Dan's team worked well in unison. We had a couple of bottles of wine which were absolutely delicious and offered water for the table and some bread to 'warm up'. The bread was warm and crispy as well, good touch!

Anyway... we had starters and mains and everything was amazing. I personally had the Haddock macaroni cheese and cauliflower to start and I honestly can't believe how much flavour was in it; a very rich and creamy starter, but not heavy.

On to mains, I opted for the Cheese Burger, which may seem like a silly thing to order in a nice restaurant but I was keen to sample it. My brother is a burger reviewer in London, so I've had a lot of top end burgers. In honesty, I was disappointed to see a big floury bap - unless you're having a bbq in the garden, they just don't work. High end burgers should have a nice brioche bun. Anyway, the meat, again, had a lot of flavour and worked well. My co-diner's meals looked amazing as well and again all had lots of great flavour.

Dan's Kitchen has a few little touches that just put it a cut above the rest and worth the price - everything from the tasty bread to the flannels to dry your hands with in the toilets. Yes, it's a little more pricey than some places on the Island, but it's fantastic food and well worth every penny.

Highly recommended!

1 Thank talktotippers

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Not grand, but gets it spot on every time”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We have been here a few times now, and the experience gets better each time. The ingredients are local, especially the fish from Captain Stan in Bembridge. All the dishes are interesting but not too fussy. The wine list is well priced, good and varied - we have now tried most of it! Service friendly but not insistent. Last night we had Waldorf salad - crisp and fresh; Shallot tart with goats cheese which was Michelin star standard with pastry that melted in your mouth; perfectly cooked veal with tagliatelle; pork loin with a lemon risotto and sea green vegetables like purslane; and a beautiful pink piece of lamb. Great puds too. Can't wait to come next time we visit the island.

• Visited May 2014
“Probably THE best food on the Island”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is one of the nicest place to eat on the Island. Try the 3 course course lunch menu £19. suburb value for your money for excellent food.

1 Thank centre600
Hedge End, United Kingdom
“One of the best meals I've had!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Myself and my husband stayed in St Helens for a few days in May and after reading the reviews on here I knew that we just had to try out this restaurant... it did not disappoint.

To start I had the little selection of munchies and my husband had the smoked haddock, macaroni cheese with cauliflower, both were delicious and so were our mains - pork with creamed potatoes, cabbage and apple puree and roast cod with cheese and tomato polenta sandwiches. For dessert my husband had the rhubarb trifle which included ginger beer jelly and I had carrot cake with caramelised walnuts and avocado ice cream, both were outstanding. The flavour combinations throughout the whole meal were amazing.

With our coffees we were served amaretti biscuits, fruit jellies, marshmallows and chocolate fudge, this was a lovely touch and again absolutely delicious.

What more can I say.. oh yes, the atmosphere and service were also great and I would recommend to all! We will definitely be coming back here on our next trip to the Island.

1 Thank jen83
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Worth going to Isle of Wight for!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Staying nearby in Bembridge we walked here for a meal and had an excellent evening. Welcoming, friendly staff and delicious food. Local and seasonal produce used to create interesting, exceptional food. My starter of asparagus with crab and lemon cream was a perfect start to the meal, my husband enjoyed the munchie selection. For main my Chicken, onion bhaji, spiced sweet potatoes, spinach, mango was stunning, really tasty and unusual. Couldn't resist having a dessert (which I normally would not bother with) and was not disappointed by the chocolate mousse with cherries- very classy.

I will go back to this area just so I can eat here again, hope reviews like this don't make it so popular I can't get in. Will book ahead of another visit and plan my holiday around it!

1 Thank Maureen P