“Great overall experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Middleton Park House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castletown Geoghegan
Limerick, Ireland
“Great overall experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I attended a wedding here recently and I couldn't recommend the venue highly enough. I had a fabulous experience from the welcome we got on arrival, to the quality of the food and the hospitality of the staff. Will definitely be visiting for the Sunday lunch which came recommended to me from another guest who attended the wedding. Thank you for the excellent dining experience.. Will be recommending your venue in future.

Room Tip: The rooms on the bottom floor are quieter
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Sarah K
Paul D, Director of Sales at Middleton Park House, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for your kind words regarding Middleton Park House.
We take great pride in the quality of our food ,and our customer service.
We would be delighted to see you again for Sunday lunch .

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Carlow, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I attended a wedding there on 11.04.14, The meal took 5 hours and when the main course arrived, we all received a piece of steak and two small dishes of veg were provided for 8 people. We asked for more veg and were told by two different staff members that we would have to wait until the entire room of 180 guests were served. I received no more veg just a portion of salmon. The room had no TV and when my husband went to check out the following day he was told that I had not paid for the room when I checked in. Several members of the family left with the story. When I approached the gentleman on duty he was quite certain that I had not paid and when I insisted that I had paid he advised me that the bill would be passed on to the groom, my husbands nephew, who was in earshot at this time. I then produced the receipt I had been given when I checked in. The staff member then made an attempt at an apology which I felt was not enough after the defamation of character I had been subjected to, and while I had hoped to be a returning customer, I was bitterly disappointed. Surely you should have your facts right before you go accusing people in the wrong

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
19 Thank Anna B
MiddletonParkHouse, Director at Middleton Park House, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear A Bolton,

Having just spoken to the couple to who’s wedding you attended at Middleton Park House, and to hear there sincere disappointment to your comments I felt it necessary to reply to your review.

We at Middleton Park take great pride on all aspects of the service we provide.

We especially are proud of the quality of our food and service to which all guests were highly complementary on checking out on the morning of the wedding you attended. Indeed guests informed me it was the best meal and service they had experienced at any wedding they had attended.

Some of the points you raised are at best comical and mischievous, and with respect to the Bride and Groom to whom I found extremely charming and a delight to have met and dealt with, and to the rest of the wedding party who again were a pleasure to have at Middleton Park House I will answer some the complaints you made.

The meal took five hours:
We pride ourselves on the size of our portions and our service, but we also appreciate that guests attending a wedding can only eat so much, and like to dance and have a drink after their meal, therefore we only serve the meal prearranged with the bride and groom. The evening buffet dose not constitute part of the banquet dinner.

Room had no TV:
The house is over 200 years old, we do not have TVs in the rooms as guests attending a wedding are encouraged to enjoy the house and the occasion, we also do not nor have plans for a swimming pool or a jacuzzi. Middleton Park House is a unique period country house, and we endeavour to hold its charm.

Receipt for room:

Defamation of character is any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person.

Madame as I accepted at the time and apologised, a clerical error had been made with your husband on checkout. As for your reference to several members of your family, how would this be possible as both of you were the only remaining guests apart from the Bride and Groom at reception at that time. The reason we issue receipts is to ensure against errors being made, it is far from a common occurrence but mistakes happen in all areas of business daily. Had you produced your receipt at the onset there would have been no need for the bride and groom to have any knowledge of this error or the need for the long conversation that followed. At no time was any reference made to your character or integrity, as I acknowledged it was our mistake.
You did say to me more than once that afternoon of the damage you could cause by posting a bad review, and that is your prerogative. We will continue to review all our operations to limit any errors and will always accept responsibility when we commit errors. Thankfully these are infrequent and few and we continue to be one of Ireland's top wedding venues.

Regards

Paul Dooley

Director

Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We were here with a large family group for a multiple birthday celebration lunch recently and I have to say that despite the good food and nice service I was appalled at the freezing cold conditions to which we were subjected without any acknowledgement from the management. It was so cold we were unable to remove outdoor clothing and even then everyone of us was shivering. There is no excuse for this - yes it's a big and old house but we had booked quite some time in advance so heating at least the areas we were going to use was perfectly possible. I fear that the current management looked to maximise the short term profit on the day and forgot that with a little more care and attention we were a most probable returning group (sadly not any more). It's amazing to me that a management team can be so very careless.
The food - in particular the steaks and lamb - was extremely good but dear me at what price!

Stayed February 2014
11 Thank Travelleralways2
Dear Madame,

Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment.

We at Middleton Park House are always happy to receive feedback from all our guests, whether it be positive, constructive and in some cases not so positive.

However we also feel it necessary to respond at times to criticism’s that we feel to be over the top and unfair.

I was on duty on the afternoon of your family gathering and totally agree that it was a particularly cold afternoon. When you say you were subjected to freezing conditions with no acknowledgement from the management I would have to strongly disagree with you.

The main area of complaint on the day was the bar and main hall area. On booking it was made clear that we never open the bar for Sunday lunch, as all drinks are served in the restaurant. This is in not as you stated to maximise short term profit but a practical and responsible business decision, as we do not serve bar food on a Sunday.

The decision to open the bar on this particular day was made by me on request by a member of your party ten minutes before the main party arrived. I did explain on the spot that as the bar is closed the heating would be turned down to a minimum and it would be better to have drinks served in the restaurant where the temperature is always constant at 18 degrees C, as is the normal temperature in any hotel or restaurant. As you stated it is a big house so to get the bar to 18 degrees would mean turning the up for at least two hours prior to guests arriving.
I did light the fire but this is a more cosmetic rather than practical operation.

I reiterate that the only reason I opened the bar was on request, and this would not normally happen but for the fact that I knew many of the people in the group including your husband his family, and your brother personally. I at all times apologised for the temperature in the bar area explaining that this area would normally be closed for Sunday lunch.

We at all times take the comfort of our guests very serious, however areas not in use at Sunday lunch, such as the main banqueting hall, guest bedrooms, cloakrooms, drawing room ,conservatory and all other ancillary rooms would have the heating turned down to a minimum. Again this would be standard in all sectors of the hospitality industry that operate in a responsible and prudent manner.

Again thank you for your feedback and we will always endeavour to ensure the comfort of our guests at Middleton Park House.

Kind regards

Paul Dooley

Director

Maynooth, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

We attended a friends wedding there last weekend and found it an amazing experience.
Had never stayed in a period manor house before and was bowled over,Now I know how the arti fartie's lived.
Great food ,Great service but for me the character and ombience is what makes this place stand out.Great to wander around and view the nooks and crannys.Although decor revamped still has brilliant features a joy to stay in.

Room Tip: Wish I had stayed in a suite
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Dylan M
Middleto, Online Admin at Middleton Park House, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us and leave such nice feedback.

We're so happy that you're first time in Middleton Park House was an amazing experience and we hope you'll come back and visit us again.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding at Middleton in early November and I can not fault the venue, staff and service we received. From the initial booking of our wedding right through to the day itself the staff were utterly helpful, pleasant and happy to complete any task needed or asked of them. Both Nikki and Maree were in constant contact with me on the weeks leading up to the wedding and every little detail was noted. We had our family arrive to the house the night before for dinner as some had a distance to travel and this was just beautiful. The food was of a really high standard and all our guests comment on the menu. We had complete exclusivity of the house for 2 days which was amazing and just added to the day itself. On the wedding day, everything ran so smoothly. We had a civil ceremony in the lower part of the house which was such a beautiful setting for a winter wedding. The house was cosy and warm and all the fires were lighting when we came up for our drinks reception which everyone loved and commented on. The food, the staff and the setting was just perfect.

I just have to add that on the weeks coming up to our wedding I read some of the negative comments below and was worried regarding the food and accommodation. To any bride reading this who has booked or thinking of booking middleton park house for there wedding all I can say is don't let these comments put you off. This is a period home, the floors creek and the wall paper isn't perfect, the water pressure comes and goes but this just added to the setting. It is not a generic hotel, this venue is a home away from home, beautiful architecture and full of character.

Thank you to all the staff at Middleton Park House. We had the most amazing wedding day.

Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Lola_Rose83
Thank you for taking the time to leave such wonderful and positive feedback. We're glad we were apart of your most amazing day. I will pass on your kind comments to our staff as well.

We look forward to seeing you again in Middleton Park House.
laois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Before i get into the nitty gritty of my complaint, i would like to compliment the staff for their wonderful hospitality and there helpfulness to our ever need, while attending a family wedding.

Now getting back to my complaint, arriving at this beautiful house and looking forward to luxury accommodation i was horrified when i was led down concrete steps to cellar like accommodation. To our disappointment the room was very basic not like the pictures we had seen on the internet. After the meal we went back to the room and the room was freezing cold, this was reported . To our disappointment when we arrived back into the room later that night the room was still freezing cold there was NO hot water and all the bed linen felt damp. Also there was only one extra blanket between two single beds!!

I felt i was over charged for the accommodation. I left my contact details at reception when leaving and i was promised a return call but i was never contacted back and this in my view is very bad customer service!!!!

Very Disappointed

Room Tip: avoid the cellar
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank phillyfallon
Middleto, Online Admin at Middleton Park House, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for your feedback and comments regarding our staff we're very proud of our establishment and our staff members they are all wonderful at their jobs.

Middleton Park House was beautifully restored in 2007 and the lower ground floor, which we and our guests know to be luxurious and elegant and not cellar like at all, has state of the art heating and a pressurised system controlled by an ACE monitoring system. It has over 15 heating circuits including in wall, under-floor, air handling and standard radiator heating. Your room temperature can be controlled by a thermostatic valve which does require you to adjust to your desired temperature, so therefore you won't be too hot or too cold; this is highlighted in the information book provided in your room.

If you had any issues with bedding or anything else our staff are always happy to assist if requested.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Lovely venue. Staff and service excellent. Having paid €150 to spend the night in a very basic cold room based in the cellar is not my idea of luxury. No heating or hot water when we came back on to our room later that night, this was reported. Heating came on as we checked out. Stairs are dangerous leading to these rooms. Not a happy bunny

Room Tip: Avoid basement rooms very basic and cold overpriced
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank 1947Carmel
Thank you for your feedback and kind comments. We'd like to point out again that when Middleton Park House was restored to the magnificent venue that it is today it was installed with state of the art heating and a pressurised system controlled by an ACE monitoring system. We have over 15 heating circuits including in wall, under-floor, air handling and standard radiator heating. Guests room temperatures are controlled by a thermostatic valve which does require them to adjust to their desired temperature, this is highlighted in the information book provided in the rooms. We want all our guests to be comfortable.

In regards to your comments about hot water we always suggest to our guests that they let the water run for a few seconds and the hot water will come, this is the same with most showers. Middleton Park House is 200 years old and the stairs are part of the structure and history of the house if you did not want to use those stairs there are numerous ways to get down stairs including two staircases and a lift.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castletown Geoghegan
#1 of 5 in Kilbeggan
New Forest Golf Club
New Forest Golf Club
#1 of 1 in Tyrrellspass

Been to Middleton Park House? Share your experiences!