“The nicest most quaint little gem in the Midlands”

Cedarwood House B & B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castletown Geoghegan
Cedarwood House B & B
Dublin, Ireland
“The nicest most quaint little gem in the Midlands”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in Cedarwood House a few weeks ago as myself & my partner were attending a nearby Wedding. I am so utterly shocked to see some disapproving reviews of this establishment as our experience contributed to a wonderful weekend. Upon our arrival the hosts greeted us with Hot & Cold Beverages along with confectionery's. This for me was a delightful welcoming as we had traveled all morning & knew it would be quite some time before our meal at the function. The weather was simply stunning due to the recent good spell and the house was lovely and fresh with our room windows open. From a below comment I understand some other residents found there to be dust in there rooms, which we did not experience at all. I However i do know from having my own windows open most nights over the past few weeks in my home that i have came into contact with lots of dust travelling in along with insects & this is a natural uncontrollable factor? I found the house to have its very own character & thought the decor although not to my personal taste very fitting with the owners personality's & indeed the location of Cedarwood House. When we arrived I witnessed a young lady performing housekeeping duties satisfying the house was well maintained. From the number of guests from the Wedding we attended alone staying in Cedarwood I would highly believe they experience a very busy business each week with the local Wedding Venue. Therefore I would find it difficult to believe the house is not regularly cleaned and would be in an unsatisfying condition in every room?? The lady owner Josie was very pleasant to us at all times & made us feel very comfortable in her home.I found the room which we stayed to be very cosy & relaxing. The bed was very comfortable & i had a fantastic nights sleep. We attended breakfast the next morning at around 9.30am and helped ourselves to a delightful spread. We were asked if we would like to be served the day previous but were more than happy to help ourselves as it meant we could choose as much as we liked. I understand some people may prefer to be plated breakfast but i found the facilities in the dining room very satisfactory. My partner whom has a love for food even after 1 or 2 many Guinness the night before definitely made the most of the self service. We checked out with Josie's husband and had a lovely little chat with him before heading on our way, he was very helpful with providing us directions to return home via Mullingar. Overall my partner and I had a very enjoyable stay & would be delighted to stay here again on any occasion.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LMcG22

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

what a wonderful place to stay! We had booked to stay here whilst attending a wedding locally. Our hosts could not have been more accommodating, sandwiches and tea waiting for us on arrival! They are lovely, warm people! We were also late checking out and they were so kind and accommodating even going so far as to offer us a cup of tea while waiting for the late stragglers to pack up! The breakfast was delicious and it was a help yourself fry up!! Happy days!!! The room was lovely, clean and comfortable. Thank you so much for being the icing on the cake of an already wonderful weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nolap
Dublin
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Josie, the owner, is a lovely welcoming lady. Her family too are all very helpful. Rooms are nice. The celebrity homage decor is a little strange but no harm.

Breakfast is unusual in that it's a buffet. Great for those who want all you can eat I guess, especially after a wedding in the nearby Middleton Park House. However, I thought for 45 euro per person, they were holding the wedding venue guests to ransom with the low cost buffet. 35 - 40 would be more appropriate.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oaklands2013
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in July for a wedding. The location was great for Middleton house which was the only positive thing I could say about this B&B. The room was cluttered with dated furniture. We had a room that wasn't carpeted properly with dust everywhere which hadn't been cleaned properly. There was also electrical sockets hanging off the wall which hasn't been finished properly. Bathroom was dirty too with cobwebs.
Breakfast was the worst I have experienced in any accommodation. A self service breakfast does not have a warm feel for a B&b. The toaster took that long to work my wife was finished her breakfast before I started. They brought us tea which had a burst tea bag which added to the misery of our experience. We paid 90 euros for the experience. I'm really surprised at some of the better comments on here.definitely would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Jacktrip79
Belfast, Ireland
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed here whilst attending a wedding in Middleton house. Location was spot on beside wedding venue and church. I was greeted by Josies husband who seemed very nice and I was shown to my room which looked lovely. It was a very hot day and the b&b seemed cool which was great. So I rushed off to the wedding and came back later that nite to wake up and get a shower. A spider and its 20 or so babies had nested in the shower so obviously the ensuite vastina room needed a clean or rub down. The sink was dirty, the bedroom itself had major cobweb issues over doors and in corners of the roof. One corner of the room hadnt seen a Hoover in a while and the dust didn't help my hay fever. I tried to charge my phone and realised all the plug sockets are half hanging off the wall- i would consider this a safety issue. So I headed down for breakfast at 10am having been told breakfast was at either 9 or 10am. I was unimpressed by the self service system which lacks a cosy b&b feeling. Also I felt we ended up with the left overs for breakfast. It felt worse than a hostel. The food was not great probably because it had been siting since 9am. Had I known that I could have eaten at 9am. So I couldn't wait to get out of the place, we packed the car and I came back in to drop the keys and €90 payment. I had planned to explain these issues to the owner but he was speaking to another guest and josie was not to be seen anywhere. He just took the keys and money and continued his conversation without even asking how I got on or engaging in any conversation. I walked myself to the front door and let myself out. For these reasons I felt strongly about writing a review here. I certainly would not recommend this place to anyone. Like a previous guest on trip advisor here I hada great wedding yet left the b&b with a real bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Hindi83
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Myself and my husband stayed in this B&B on Thursday night after attending a wedding in the Middleton Park hotel. From the moment we arrived both Michael and Josie could not do enough for us.
The room was really pretty and the bed was comfortable. The next morning we had a lovely breakfast and afterwards Micheal and Josie sat down and had a chat with us.
We would recommend this B&B to anyone attending a wedding in the area or just passing through especially tourists to Ireland as this family will give you a great Irish welcome !!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Orpington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Myself and my family arrived to be greeted by both haul and Josie. We had the most amazing welcome. Even better when we booked into the family den!! Again a big surprise, with all the extra's we had.. It was more like a hotel room then a b&b. the breakfast was amazing, we stayed in the b&b as attending a wedding local.
If you have teenagers the den would be the place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 6 in Mullingar
Fort House B & B
Fort House B & B
#3 of 6 in Kilbeggan

Been to Cedarwood House B & B? Share your experiences!