“Brilliant place - impeccable hosts”

Cedarwood House B & B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castletown Geoghegan
Cedarwood House B & B
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Just come back from a wedding and stayed at the Cedarwood House B & B Had a marvellous stay Josie and Michael were so funny and friendly. First time in Ireland and well impressed with the warmth and hospitality of this couple

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed in cedarwood guest house march 2013 as we were going to a wedding reception at a nearby venue. From the moment we arrived we felt the warm welcome. We had travelled quite a distance and after we checked into our room, Josie took us into the dining room where she provided us with sandwiches, biscuits, tea and coffee. Josie told us there was no rush in the morn for breakfast. The following morning we got to the dining room around 11am. Breakfast was served with a great choice of cereals, fruit and of course the full Irish. We finally left round 1pm and we were not the last to leave! Josie said the she had a full house for the next few days, which I was not surprised at. We have recommended Cedarwood guest house to our friends and we hope to stay there again early next year.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 17 September 2013

My husband and I were in Dublin on business. We decided to spend one night in Castletown Geoghegan as Geoghegan is our last name and my husband's heritage comes from there. While Cedarwood House is not a fancy hotel, it is the personal home of Josie and Michael, and is just lovely! Settled in a quaint cedar grove, the garden is very nice and there are many outdoor seating areas and picnic or party areas on the property. We were greeted by Verina (daughter) and Michael upon arrival who made sure we were comfortable in the little chalet out front. We felt like family right away. It has it's own living area, eating area and bath, but they have several rooms available in the main house as well. We had a full breakfast before church at St. Michaels's on Sunday, and coffee and tea with Josie and Michael. It was difficult to leave. We will spend more time next time! Thank you Josie, Michael, and Varina for a once in a lifetime visit. You are SO special.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cute little chalet out front. It had a complete bedroom, bath, eating area and livi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just got back from castletown after a wedding, our b&b was lovely, and the owners Josie and her husband could not have been more accommadating, lovely room and a breakfast to last all day. They could not do enough for us so I would highly recommend it,in fact even without a wedding will go back.

Room Tip: Ask for the little chalet it is separate from the main house.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I'm not sure why others think this B&B is overpriced. Myself and my wife stayed here last weekend with our niece in tow to attend a nearby wedding. We stayed a lovely spacious room with a double bed and a lovely comfortable single bed all set up for the 12 year old. The breakfast each morning was fantastic (fresh eggs because they have chickens), and there was tea and sandwiches available in the afternoons. Our stay cost 160 euro in total, which is great value for what we got. See how far that will get you in a hotel on a busy weekend!

There's ample parking, and and lots to see within driving distance. The village is quiet and the locals VERY friendly (just don't mention windmills to them, you'll see). THE nearby pub is great craic at night, and there is even a little chip wagon down the street. Josie and her husband were lovely people and couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable, even offering to babysit our niece if we wanted to stay out late on our second night there.

I almost don't want to make any criticisms, but I believe in an honest and complete review. Firstly, there was no wifi available at all (though given the part of the country, there was also patch mobile reception!). I discussed the wifi with the owners and they assured me they were looking into it as other guests has also enquired. I believe them.

Secondly, there is black rooster in the yard who is lucky I didn't strangle or shoot him. He tends to start his crowing early, about 6:30, and goes at it again every half hour or so. If you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs. However, on the positive side, you won't need to set your alarm - this one does not require batteries and has snooze feature as default. My wife or niece didn't notice him, so in fairness I am just a really light sleeper and this is not too bad a point.

My final gripe is lack of hot water early in the morning. I imagine everyone is showering at the same time, so the hot water goes quickly. If you shower later on, there is plenty of hot water again. So I suggest having breakfast first, THEN showering. Josie should invest in an industrial wood pellet boiler (or some solar panels) like in small hotels, as she has a lot of guests at any time. It wasn't too bad, but in the winter I can imagine it not being too pleasant.

Overall, we REALLY enjoyed our stay, and are so glad we booked Cedarwood House and not somewhere else. It IS value for money, and definitely the BEST place to stay in this neck of the woods. Thanks Josie! We'll come by again sometime....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Greedo2013
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in Cedarwood House a few weeks ago as myself & my partner were attending a nearby Wedding. I am so utterly shocked to see some disapproving reviews of this establishment as our experience contributed to a wonderful weekend. Upon our arrival the hosts greeted us with Hot & Cold Beverages along with confectionery's. This for me was a delightful welcoming as we had traveled all morning & knew it would be quite some time before our meal at the function. The weather was simply stunning due to the recent good spell and the house was lovely and fresh with our room windows open. From a below comment I understand some other residents found there to be dust in there rooms, which we did not experience at all. I However i do know from having my own windows open most nights over the past few weeks in my home that i have came into contact with lots of dust travelling in along with insects & this is a natural uncontrollable factor? I found the house to have its very own character & thought the decor although not to my personal taste very fitting with the owners personality's & indeed the location of Cedarwood House. When we arrived I witnessed a young lady performing housekeeping duties satisfying the house was well maintained. From the number of guests from the Wedding we attended alone staying in Cedarwood I would highly believe they experience a very busy business each week with the local Wedding Venue. Therefore I would find it difficult to believe the house is not regularly cleaned and would be in an unsatisfying condition in every room?? The lady owner Josie was very pleasant to us at all times & made us feel very comfortable in her home.I found the room which we stayed to be very cosy & relaxing. The bed was very comfortable & i had a fantastic nights sleep. We attended breakfast the next morning at around 9.30am and helped ourselves to a delightful spread. We were asked if we would like to be served the day previous but were more than happy to help ourselves as it meant we could choose as much as we liked. I understand some people may prefer to be plated breakfast but i found the facilities in the dining room very satisfactory. My partner whom has a love for food even after 1 or 2 many Guinness the night before definitely made the most of the self service. We checked out with Josie's husband and had a lovely little chat with him before heading on our way, he was very helpful with providing us directions to return home via Mullingar. Overall my partner and I had a very enjoyable stay & would be delighted to stay here again on any occasion.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LMcG22
Reviewed 22 July 2013

what a wonderful place to stay! We had booked to stay here whilst attending a wedding locally. Our hosts could not have been more accommodating, sandwiches and tea waiting for us on arrival! They are lovely, warm people! We were also late checking out and they were so kind and accommodating even going so far as to offer us a cup of tea while waiting for the late stragglers to pack up! The breakfast was delicious and it was a help yourself fry up!! Happy days!!! The room was lovely, clean and comfortable. Thank you so much for being the icing on the cake of an already wonderful weekend.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nolap

Been to Cedarwood House B & B? Share your experiences!