“Hospitality at its best”

Cedarwood House B & B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castletown Geoghegan
Cedarwood House B & B
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We arrived in the pouring rain to a warm welcome from Josie. We were her only guests that night so she put us in the chalet. It was warm and cosy and we had our own sitting room. Next morning we went in to the main house for breakfast. An Irish full breakfast for one in Ceadarwood House will feed an army! and it was well cooked. You need to spend at least five minutes in the hall looking at all the curiosities that Josie has collected over the years.

Room Tip: Didn't stay in the main house but the chalet is right next to it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We travelled from the UK for a wedding near by.
On arrival we were provided with tea, sandwiches and biscuits - even though it was 8:30pm. After asking for local pub recommendations Michael provided us with a torch for getting back.

We were in the chalet attached to the main house. Was beautiful

The breakfast was out of this world, even accomodated my food issues.

Nothing is too much trouble for Michael and Josie. Will definitely be back to visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank carolanneneall
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Just come back from a wedding and stayed at the Cedarwood House B & B Had a marvellous stay Josie and Michael were so funny and friendly. First time in Ireland and well impressed with the warmth and hospitality of this couple

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed in cedarwood guest house march 2013 as we were going to a wedding reception at a nearby venue. From the moment we arrived we felt the warm welcome. We had travelled quite a distance and after we checked into our room, Josie took us into the dining room where she provided us with sandwiches, biscuits, tea and coffee. Josie told us there was no rush in the morn for breakfast. The following morning we got to the dining room around 11am. Breakfast was served with a great choice of cereals, fruit and of course the full Irish. We finally left round 1pm and we were not the last to leave! Josie said the she had a full house for the next few days, which I was not surprised at. We have recommended Cedarwood guest house to our friends and we hope to stay there again early next year.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 17 September 2013

My husband and I were in Dublin on business. We decided to spend one night in Castletown Geoghegan as Geoghegan is our last name and my husband's heritage comes from there. While Cedarwood House is not a fancy hotel, it is the personal home of Josie and Michael, and is just lovely! Settled in a quaint cedar grove, the garden is very nice and there are many outdoor seating areas and picnic or party areas on the property. We were greeted by Verina (daughter) and Michael upon arrival who made sure we were comfortable in the little chalet out front. We felt like family right away. It has it's own living area, eating area and bath, but they have several rooms available in the main house as well. We had a full breakfast before church at St. Michaels's on Sunday, and coffee and tea with Josie and Michael. It was difficult to leave. We will spend more time next time! Thank you Josie, Michael, and Varina for a once in a lifetime visit. You are SO special.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cute little chalet out front. It had a complete bedroom, bath, eating area and livi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just got back from castletown after a wedding, our b&b was lovely, and the owners Josie and her husband could not have been more accommadating, lovely room and a breakfast to last all day. They could not do enough for us so I would highly recommend it,in fact even without a wedding will go back.

Room Tip: Ask for the little chalet it is separate from the main house.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I'm not sure why others think this B&B is overpriced. Myself and my wife stayed here last weekend with our niece in tow to attend a nearby wedding. We stayed a lovely spacious room with a double bed and a lovely comfortable single bed all set up for the 12 year old. The breakfast each morning was fantastic (fresh eggs because they have chickens), and there was tea and sandwiches available in the afternoons. Our stay cost 160 euro in total, which is great value for what we got. See how far that will get you in a hotel on a busy weekend!

There's ample parking, and and lots to see within driving distance. The village is quiet and the locals VERY friendly (just don't mention windmills to them, you'll see). THE nearby pub is great craic at night, and there is even a little chip wagon down the street. Josie and her husband were lovely people and couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable, even offering to babysit our niece if we wanted to stay out late on our second night there.

I almost don't want to make any criticisms, but I believe in an honest and complete review. Firstly, there was no wifi available at all (though given the part of the country, there was also patch mobile reception!). I discussed the wifi with the owners and they assured me they were looking into it as other guests has also enquired. I believe them.

Secondly, there is black rooster in the yard who is lucky I didn't strangle or shoot him. He tends to start his crowing early, about 6:30, and goes at it again every half hour or so. If you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs. However, on the positive side, you won't need to set your alarm - this one does not require batteries and has snooze feature as default. My wife or niece didn't notice him, so in fairness I am just a really light sleeper and this is not too bad a point.

My final gripe is lack of hot water early in the morning. I imagine everyone is showering at the same time, so the hot water goes quickly. If you shower later on, there is plenty of hot water again. So I suggest having breakfast first, THEN showering. Josie should invest in an industrial wood pellet boiler (or some solar panels) like in small hotels, as she has a lot of guests at any time. It wasn't too bad, but in the winter I can imagine it not being too pleasant.

Overall, we REALLY enjoyed our stay, and are so glad we booked Cedarwood House and not somewhere else. It IS value for money, and definitely the BEST place to stay in this neck of the woods. Thanks Josie! We'll come by again sometime....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Greedo2013

Been to Cedarwood House B & B? Share your experiences!