“Good value and nice”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clyst Honiton
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Good value and nice”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Difficult to find but once there, it's a nice, clean hotel. The breakfast was of good quality, drinks at the bar were a bit on the expensive side. We had a quiet room at the back of the hotel in February, no aircraft noise.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Renate B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We spent a night here visiting in Exeter, its only 15mins from central Exeter, its close to the M5 junction and is located at the airport alongside the A30.
Its very quiet, we saw one plane and couldnt hear it, and theres no road noise either. Its a bright and clean newish property, tending to wear a bit, but can be recommended.
Breakfast was ok except for the OJ which was yellow water at best.
Staff general nice except breakfast lady who was having a bad morning.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mmuggeri
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed on 18th Jan and have given the management multiple opportunities to respond to my issues but they seem unable or unwilling to respond and put their side of the story.

In order to book my Groupon I had to call 3 times to get the receptionist to send me the booking form even though the voucher told us to ring.

I then returned it within an hour but had to chase it when I hadn’t had a response in over 3 days and it was only a week before my planned arrival date. They told me they hadn’t received my application despite the fact I had an email from Groupon asking if I had enjoyed my visit to the hotel as my voucher had been redeemed. When they found my application they processed it twice meaning 2 different confirmation numbers.

Our booking at Marco’s was lovely and the food very good.When we received our bill it was £40 more than it should have been. When I queried these items I was told ‘I had lied’ and ‘to get off my high horse’ as she’d already removed the extra items, this unprofessional manner really put a dampener on our special meal out as we both felt uncomfortable and upset by the confrontation.

My partner and I have never spent a night so hot, despite the air conditioning neither of us had a good night’s sleep and my partner hardly slept at all. The heating on the one floor that was in use was so high the air conditioning (which had error messages because the filters hadn’t been cleaned) couldn’t compete and we couldn’t open a window. This meant that we had to checked out by 9am and cut our trip short as we came straight home to catch up on missed sleep.

The breakfast was not what I would expect from a Hilton and is nothing like the food produced by the restaurant next door. Our options for hot food were cold bacon, the cheapest sausages I’ve ever tasted, soggy hash browns, congealed baked beans and scrambled egg. In the half hour we had our meal none of these items were refreshed and no fried eggs offered. There were no staff around to help.

When we told reception about our problems the 2 girls behind the desk knew all the issues were there and offered their apologies. They made comments that Marco’s always makes mistakes with the bills and said they personally avoid the breakfast as it is horrible. Although they were trying to make me feel better, all it did was reinforce that staff and therefore probably management know the problems in the hotel but have made no attempts to resolve them or compensate. Despite the fact that I had been told that 2/3 of the hotel was ‘out of use’, the staff said the problem was because they had been ‘swamped’ by the Groupon deal. I would disagree as the hotel didn’t feel busy and the majority of guests we saw were Flybe staff.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, despite the fact it's a Hilton.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren7979
Bektas K, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Exeter Airport, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read your comments regarding the groupon booking and maintenance issues you had during your stay, which I can confirm have been passed onto the relevant departments. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused for you.

I hope you will give us another chance to show you that this is not a true representation of the service we offer and come and stay with us again
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Great room very clean and spacious only let down by wooden stir things rather than spoons .
Staff were very pleasant however only one person working the breakfast room who was sticking to time that breakfast finishes at 10 so make sure you have all you need cause once it's gone it's gone.
Overall a great stay .

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights for work reasons. Firstly be aware sat nav if not updated will not take to the hotel. When you turn left into exeter airport road keep driving do not turn into their carpark. When you get to the end you will see a P4 sign on the left. Bare slightly right drive a few seconds then take your first right and you will see the hotel.
The hotel was clean and modern and the bed was clean and comfortable. Loved the big shower. However I didn't like the breakfast. I emailed in advance as I have a gluten and dairy free diet. And because I live out of hotels alot I have to let them know. Well I got no response to my email and no one was around at breakfast to ask. Scrambled egg was dry sausages were cheap and the fruit old. Despite this the hotel was quiet and relaxing.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We will not be staying at this hotel again, we found pubic hairs (between 6-8) in the bed and on the duvet, also one on the toilet! (see photos) The draw handle fell off/was broken, the desk lamp did not work and the sink was full of stale water and not emptied!

When we told the reception staff he gave us a new room (which also had a few hairs in the bed!) but he did not seem too concerned about the problems and the incredible inconvenience of having to move rooms once we had already got settled in (we checked in at night and were tired, just wanted sleep and not to be dealing with issues of basic hygiene!).

We were not made aware of the 100% satisfaction guarantee and were not asked how the room was or if we had any problems during our stay when we checked out.

Also the breakfast items were of dire quality, the bread was stale and hardly any left, no one around to assist during breakfast, and the hot food was £2 quality canteen food.

I cannot recommend this Hotel to anyone, hairs in the bed should not be found in any respectable hotel, this is basic stuff! And should this occur the service should be appropriate to recover, a full refund should be offered or something of value, the guy swapped our rooms without hesitation, but this isn't enough in this situation.

Photos are attached as evidence... recommend staying at a Travelodge instead.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mark H
Hampshire
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Two nights for just under £120 including breakfast. Room compact, but not cramped. Staff all pleasant. Breakfast is totally self-service, but the range was adequate and the quality good. Some confusion with the bill on check-out, but otherwise a good experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
#4 of 31 in Exeter
Exeter Court Hotel
Exeter Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kennford

Been to Hampton by Hilton Exeter Airport? Share your experiences!