“Yearly visit never disappoints! ” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 17th Century Orton Hall

17th Century Orton Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orton
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Yearly visit never disappoints! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

My family and I have stayed in Orton Hall yearly since about 2003 and it never disappoints! Having stayed in many of the suites and more regularly Richmond Cottage at the back, I can honestly say this is my favourite place to go. Gorgeous landscape, grand living room, well kept gardens and generally exquisite atmosphere, I simply cannot fault this place! I have grown up here and have loads of memories of how wonderful it is to stay here- would highly recommend for couples & families! Simply stunning!

Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

This little place is a real gem, we stayed here over the Easter bank holiday weekend expecting tourists galore, however it was quite the contrary. The hall was a wonderful, serene place, with a traditional yet relaxed atmosphere. The village of Orton consists of traditional stone houses, a historic church, a village shop and post office and a chocolate factory (without Charlie) and is populated by a friendly and open community that are very tourist-friendly.

We stayed in the Cromwell apartment within the hall, it felt very homely in a grand sort of way. This living room was very comfortable, high ceilings, a grandfather clock, a big dining table and comfortable settee. The bedroom had a comfortable four-poster bed in oak frame with white voile drapes. The kitchen had everything you could need whilst on holiday. The entertainment facilities were excellent, a well stock collection of books, DVDs, board games and local maps. We were even left a complimentary bottle of prosecco (to compliment the one we brought with us) and a box of local chocolates!

The shared "Great hall" was indeed "great" although "grand" might be a more accurate description. There was a pool table and a lovely grand piano whose ivories I tinkled briefly.

An ideal place to recharge your batteries, wish we could have stayed longer. If you're considering this place, stop considering and book it.

Room Tip: Cromwell Apartment was wonderful.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Justin G
Wisbech
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I pulled the lamp away from the wall to see cobwebs against the wall and behind the desk, I meant to leave a message so that a Manager could inspect the rooms but I'm sure my room wasn't the only one. I'm a full time carer for my husband 24/7 and get two nights off a year so my time is precious hence the reason I booked a hotel with a spa, and I was really disappointed and upset that the spa was fully booked and there was no chance of any treatment of any sort. So the hotel and spa should be advertised separately as the hotel can't offer spa options. The receptionists tore themselves away from their conversation to point me in the direction of my room, no offer of help with my bags. The room I was given was small and dark, unlike a room I had stayed there many years ago, I suspect this was because I was a lone woman. The room was clean apart from the above and the bed was comfortable, room service couldn't have been better and I think if the issues I have raised were attended to it would be a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask if the spa is available and if the room is light and bright.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank KimCambsUK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Booked via Laterooms Saturday and Sunday nights in Cromwell Suite, having visited Orton and surrounding area before and always been curious about the stays in the big house one often saw listed.

Not disappointed - stunning historical grandeur can only describe it. Cromwell Suite in particular retains a very fine original fireplace and the views from the big curved front window over the front lawn and grounds are grand too.

All comfortably-furnished in apartment; one has range of the house's magnificent Great Hall too. Don't expect particularly warm interior in colder weather though: the house does not seem to be centrally heated, although electric storage and other heaters warmed our own suite well enough.

They don't take credit cards as payment, so prepare for alternatives!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jdboyd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at orton hall in the rochester suite earlier this year, for my husbands birthday, and will definitely visit again, apartment fab & the grounds were amazing, local village has nice pub & great famers market.. We met some of the owners who were just lovely, and made us very welcome fab place to stay and good value

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank CAZ8as
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights late November,the house and grounds are very impresive, even spotted a dear in the garden. We stayed in the Buckingham apartment, very clean and had everything you needed very high ceilings and it had turned very cold whilst we were there so apartments storage heating struggled a bit to cope.Shower was lovely and hot you do need to take your own towels and no wi-fi available which is quite nice as this is a place for relaxing after a day exploring and maybe a hot chocolate from the chocolate factory in Orton.A very nice experience overall.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a five day stay and can not fault Orton Hall the perfect place to relax and de stress ! The grounds are excellent and I would often sit and relax with a good book on my return from a day out. Stayed in claraden suite and it had everything I needed and more .. A stop at booths on way up to stock up on wine and nice things made my visit perfect. Will be booking again in the Autumn would highly recommend a stay at the hall you will not be disappointed

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orton
BEST WESTERN PLUS Peterborough Orton Hall Hotel & Spa
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa
Woodlands Hotel & Pine Lodges
Woodlands Hotel & Pine Lodges
#7 of 10 in Grange-over-Sands

Been to 17th Century Orton Hall? Share your experiences!