“Another Great Stay At Orton Hall” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 17th Century Orton Hall

17th Century Orton Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orton
Manchester
“Another Great Stay At Orton Hall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

This was our third visit to Orton Hall and again enjoyed ourselves immensley. If you want the clinical experience of a hotel, then try somewhere different, but if it's perod, historical, peaceful and chilled, then you can't beat it. The heating is not an issue, there are sufficient means to keep warm in the winter and the cost is nothing. We have stayed once in the summer and twice in the winter and have never had a problem.

There have been a few changes since we last stayed, notably new furniture and decor, remodelled kitchen and an electric power shower in the bathroom (Duke of Clarendon Suite)

We used the complimentary health spa membership which went down a treat. Both of us had a massage, I used the gym and then we spent about an hour in the pool and sauna (health spa is not on-site). Great benefit thrown in.

All in all great value for money, beautiful building and grounds and ideally suited for exploring the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales. Will be back in the summer.

1 Thank PeterJonesManchester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

Stayed there with my girlfriend for a short break, got a good deal by going onto the websites special offers. When you arrive, you need to see the housekeeper before you go to the Hall in order to collect the keys but was only 5 minutes to go there. When we arrived, the Hall was very quiet, we felt like we were the only ones there! The Hall is divided into around 10 self contained apartments, we stayed in the Clarendon suite which is on the first floor at the front with a view of the garden. When we got in, the room did seem cold but soon warmed up after the heating was put on. On the first night we went to the George Hotel for food which is around 10 minutes walk away, nothing fancy on the menu, just typical pub food done well.

On the second day we went to the Chocolate factory in Orton, (think it was called Kennedys) and it was fantastic, ended up spending quite a bit on chocolate there as it is all made on site and delicious, you can even watch them working from the cafe on site which I thought was a nice touch.

Went to Windermere to see friends and took about 25-30 minutes in the car and in the evening we cooked a meal in the Apartment. The kitchen was quite well equipped, enough for a stir fry and noodles anyway!

On the last day we went to the Spa which is complementary with the room. The Spa isn't on the site but it's definitely worth a visit. When we got back we realised we had to tally up what electricity we'd used which took about 2 minutes and cost us just under £5 even though we'd had the heaters on and the electric cooker.

In all, if you want to stay somewhere a bit different, then this definitely is the one for you. I went in a couple, but the grounds in the Hall are huge so would recommend it to families with younger children.

2 Thank RustyRusterson
scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2010

We booked an apartment here last minute and got it for a good price. The owner sent us a detailed email the next day telling us to drive to the housekeeper's house to collect the keys, unfortunately, because we were already travelling I was unable to access this email and so arrived to an empty locked house with no idea how to get in. We had had a long journay and had to spend over an hour phoning relatives to try and get some contact details. When we eventually spoke to the owner I found her to be rude and aggressive. This could be avoided by placing a notice with a phone number on the front door for late arrivals.

The hall is wonderful, the apartment is large and well equiped and the bed was comfortable. However, the whole place is absolutely freezing and the heating, which is paid for separately, is totally inefficient. We were so cold we ended up wearing several layers each (and this was supposed to be a romantic weekend!) In fact, we decided to go out the 2nd night for a meal, rather than staying in, just to get warm.

The shower kept falling off the wall, the bathroom smells musty and damp, and the whole place could do with a good clean - the wonderful wooden panels on the roof are covered in cobwebs - looks atomspheric, but I prefer my living quarters to be cleaner. I wouldn't go back even in summertime which is a shame as it could be an amazing place with just a bit of extra care.

We were lucky enough to be there during the farmer's market which was enjoyable, and the local chocolate factory is amazing - try the mint wafers!

Camberley, Surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2009

We stayed in the Duke of Cumberland suite for New Year 09. The advertising blurb waxed lyrical - the reality was sadly different. Arriving, we entered into a dark and extremely cold hallway which had very poor lighting. At no time could we use the communual facilities because there was no heating there. The first floor apartment was chilly when we entered as there was only one storage heater, additional heating was by electric radiators which you had to pay for and as the ceilings are high it never became over-warm. The massive picture windows at the front that give you great views of the grounds were permanently running with condensation. The bathroom in particular was always cold even though we left the heated towel rail on all the time and water streamed down the walls when you had a bath or shower. My main gripe was the state of the settee and chair - they were filthy! I'm not a fusspot - I camp frequently - but the whole suite was disgusting - grey with ingrained dirt and covered with brown blotchy stains. We got the rug out of the car to cover the settee before we sat on it. The kitchen was old and nothing had a 'PAT' label to show it had been tested for safety - surely this is a requirement? The cooker and grill were lined with aluminum foil to hide the fact they needed cleaning - not a safe practice when you see the antiquity of the fusebox - no rcd here. Also, the worktop was lifting, the sealant was detatched, the tiles needed a good scrub and the toaster area was full of crumbs. I complained when we got home and submitted photos - that was January 2009. I recieved a reply saying the owners were out of the country and would contact me on their return. In March I re-submitted my letter of complaint - it's now April 18th and I still have not had a reply. These people need to up their game and act professionally - both in the standard of the accomodation and bothering to answer complaints.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bevs316
Phoenix, AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2008

We stayed at Orton Hall for two nights as we toured the Lake District on our way to Scotland. As previous reviews have stated, the atmosphere in this hall is a very different experience. We rarely saw another guest...our joke was that guests came in but never came out. We stayed in the Rochester Suite which was very roomy. We loved our view from the rooms of the back grounds and sheep. Some may not but we loved waking up to the bleating sheep. It was quaint. The hall was a bit dark in the common areas and the rooms, adding to it's spooky ambience. The kitchen was roomy but we thought it was odd to be charged a fee for the electricity used. We thought that it should be included in our tariff for the night. We used minimal electricity so it was really not an issue. Be prepared to be remote. Keys are picked up at the housekeepers cottage who lives off the property. It was, therefore, very difficult to get questions answered because there was no staff (that we saw) on site. Cell phone and internet usage was very limited. We arrived around 8pm and were unprepared for how far we were from any services. Markets and pubs were already closed so we had candy bars and chips for dinner from the petrol station in the closest town (quite a drive). We broke our UK tour here and chose Orton Hall because of the access to a washer/dryer. Planning on doing laundry, we were surprised to see that the washer/dryer were both tiny and took forever to run. Come loaded with pounds as each cycle costs 1 pound each. Unfortunately, we ended up doing laundry in the jet tub and hanging clothes to dry. Not fun, but the source of some laughs...eventually. The bathroom was updated and roomy but the tub was poorly installed leaving the sides feeling quite wobbly. Pressure was good and the jets worked after much manuvering. We enjoyed our tour of nearby Appleby, a small village not far from the Hall. If a dark atmosphere and remote location is your goal, stay at Orton Hall but don't do laundry!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2008

This is about the 7th time I have stayed in Orton Hall, but the first time I have stayed in the Duke of Clarendon Suite. On this occasion, I went with just my 5yr old son - we both loved it, the only disappointing thing was that the whirlpool bath did not work at the time, and I had been really looking forward to having one! Once you go through the electric gates, you find yourself leaving all the stresses of home life there and totally relaxing.

On the 2nd Saturday of every month, there is a Farmer's Market in the village - it is really good, although on this occasion the weather was awful, so I think that may have put some people off. The chocolate factory and coffee shop are really good and we also had a meal in the George which was really nice. We visited the tea rooms for lunch, and although the food was ok, I found that the atmosphere was not as welcoming as all of the other places mentioned. On previous occasions, we have stayed in the Royalist and Rochester - and these have also been fabulous. My son is usually found hiding in the wardrobe of the Royalist, pretending it is Dr Who's tardis, and he loves the secret door in that one.

• Liked — the tranquility, and feeling like lady of the manor!
  • Disliked — the whirlpool bath was not working at the time of visit
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Krazykay
Vacaville, Calif
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2007

Orton Hall was an atmospheric delight with its imposing stone exterior and its high-ceilinged, wood-wainscoted, casement-windowed interior. The look and feel of the place was everything I'd hoped for.

We stayed in the Rochester Wing: 3rd floor, back left corner of the manor. It was quite large w/ 2 bedrooms & a bath connected by a long hall to the kitchen and large living area with 2 pop-out areas for dining. There was a door to close off the living area from the sleeping area so late-night TV viewing didn't disturb early-to-bedders.

Noise was never a problem. In fact, although we knew there were several other occupants of the manor during our stay, we never saw or heard anyone else during our 4-day stay. (It was actually beginning to creep us out a bit!)

The rooms were well-equipped with lots of reading material (although, yes, a bit dated), lots of videos (good selection), and a kitchen with everything you could possibly need and all the appliances in good working order.

The grounds were nice, and large enough for my husband & son to throw the baseball around while my daughter & I went exploring.

Now the downside: it was not very clean at all. I could understand the standing dust on the wainscoting and railings cus', realistically, the place is just too big to perform a thorough cleaning. However, the state of the kitchen floor and sink was inexcusable. The bathroom didn't look like it had been cleaned at all. The bathroom drinking glass was covered in toothpaste residue, and the glass shower door was completely obscured with dried soap and water stains and was "sealed" to the tub with masking tape. (Despite the tape fix, the door still leaked, creating a large puddle on the carpeted floor. There is no doubt in my mind that the carpet conceals an ever-growing area of dry rot.)

I'm torn in my overall rating. I loved the place so much, and yet was appalled at the lack of a good cleaning. Luckily, there was an abundant supply of cleaning products. I simply rolled up my sleeves and gave the kitchen & bath a thorough scrubbing before my family set foot in them. Should a guest have to do that? No, but it allowed me to enjoy the next 4 days there knowing I had.

I did let the owners know directly of the condition of the place so maybe improvements have been made since our stay.

• Liked — Atmosphere, space, setting, comfortable 4-poster bed
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orton
BEST WESTERN PLUS Peterborough Orton Hall Hotel & Spa
Woodlands Hotel & Pine Lodges
Woodlands Hotel & Pine Lodges
#7 of 10 in Grange-over-Sands
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa

Been to 17th Century Orton Hall? Share your experiences!