“Kippers To Die For!”
Review of The Knoll

The Knoll
Ranked #1 of 2 Lakeside B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My partner and I spent two very comfortable nights at The Knoll in July 2013. We were attending a wedding, in nearby Finsthwaite, followed by a reception at the Lakeside Hotel. This was just five minutes walk from The Knoll, which meant I could leave the car and enjoy a few pints of the local ale. We received a warm welcome on arrival, and shown to our room on the second floor. It was a very warm evening and, being an old Victorian house, there is obviously no air conditioning. I'm sure they would have found us an electric fan if we had asked. Instead, we left the window open all night, and we were amazed at how quiet and peaceful the location was - the silence being punctuated only by the occasional hoot of an owl!

We didn't get to try dinner at The Knoll, as we had previous arrangements with family and friends at other locations, but the breakfasts were fabulous. Between us, over the two days we stayed, my partner and I sampled traditional British breakfast, also home made kedgeree - which was really satisfying - but my favourite was, without a doubt, the plump Manx kippers, poached, then lightly grilled and served with malted grain brown bread and butter.

Would we go back? Most certainly! Comfortable, friendly, in a peaceful location and kippers to die for!

There are newer reviews for The Knoll

Reviewed 23 July 2013

My boyfriend and I decided, relatively last minute, to take a short trip to the Lake District as I had never been and it was always a place my friends would go in the Summer when I was at school. Whenever anyone spoke about the Lake District they would say how amazing it was so I had to see for myself...

We chose The Knoll from about 10 different hotels that were recommended on here and other Lake District websites - I can't remember exactly why we chose it over the others but I think it might be to do with the great location.

When we arrived, we parked up and was greeted by Jen, one of the owners who just took us straight up to the room and left us to it - in a good way! None of that faffing about at reception like you do in other larger hotels.

We needed a bit of time to decompress & figure out what we would do for the rest of the day so we asked if they had anything left for an afternoon tea, as advertised on their menu. They whipped together a great selection and made such a difference not to have to worry about finding somewhere to eat at an awkward time of day.

We booked the four poster bed room at The Knoll which was a gorgeously decorated, spacious room. The bed was incredibly comfy and as a female I did feel like a bit of a princess. The room size was really good, and the bathroom had a bath with a shower over & was a decent power shower (I hate those hotel showers that just dribble out). The bath came in handy after a long day of sightseeing! Nice big towels which make a difference to me, those tiny towels are useless.

We ate in the hotel dining room that night which was lovely food and great hospitality. This isn't a criticism of the hotel - it's really the patrons fault - but the atmosphere was a bit stilted because there were three couples in there not wanting their conversation to be overheard so it was a little quiet (even with the background music) and the same with breakfast. But you can't help that. It only takes one couple (which was us!) to have a normal conversation for the ice to be broken.

Breakfast was also lovely - a decent spread: Cereals, yoghurts, fruit, croissants, cooked breakfast for all tastes. What I would say is that it would be better (for me) if the breakfast time was extended by half an hour - it's currently from 08:30-09:30 and I'm not really hungry enough by then yet. But that's a personal preference.

We then spent the next three days touring around the Lake's which were - as everyone had said - absolutely stunning. We even took a dip in Crummock Water (I think that was the Lake/Reservoir) one afternoon which I absolutely loved! We were really lucky with the weather - apparently it rains a lot up there but we didn't see a drop and it was 25 degrees and sunny every day!

Coming back to the hotel was a treat - very relaxed atmosphere, come and go as you please, no one to answer to and the owners were always extremely helpful. They even put together a packed lunch for us one day so we could sit outside and have a picnic somewhere!

All in all a fab hotel and I highly recommend it - I love 'boutique' hotels rather than the large chains - very much a friendly and personal service.

I would definitely stay there if we ever venture up there again :-)

Room Tip: The four poster bed room is right at the front of the house which has a nice view of the garden, loo...
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from two nights at The Knoll. All I can say is we wouldn't hesitate to use this guest house again, we were given a warm welcome and a lovely room, a blessing was having two windows given the recent heat wave, at least that gave us a nice bit of airflow. The bed was supremely comfortable and the room had everything we needed.
Breakfast was superb, locally sourced fresh ingredients, you can tell the difference. Our only regret is that we were not able to try the evening meal, which came highly recommended to us by another couple on the day we were leaving. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would come again.

As a footnote car parking especially if you have a larger car can be tight, there is however a small area a few yards from the Knoll that we used, this is not a complaint rather just a mention.
Oh and for the owner, I do indeed know Mark Nash it came to me as we were leaving, it happens I have known him for years. Once again thank you for your warm hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Our overnight stay at The Knoll was all that we had hoped for. My wife and I arrived to a friendly welcome and were shown to our double room. The Knoll is a delight. It is clean and well kept. Our hosts could not have been more helpful and the breakfast was truly excellent. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: You can hear other residents coming in at night and some people can tend to be noisy. Ask the advice...
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We have been holidaying at The Knoll for 7 years now, and have never been disappointed (and those who know me know I am hard to please!)
From the warm welcome you receive upon arrival, to the hearty breakfasts, to the divine evening meals. Every moment spent in The Knoll is a pleasure.
A convenient 3 minutes walk from the steamers on Lake Windermere makes Ambleside and Bowness on Windermere totally accessible without a car. And there are plenty of great walks within close proximity.
We will never stay at another hotel in the Lakes. The Knoll has everything we want, or would need.

Room Tip: The deluxe double, and four-poster bedrooms have large corner baths, which make for the perfect roma...
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We are frequent visitors to the lake district usually stay around Ambleside & Grasmere. Also stayed in Keswick area. Really enjoyed the Knoll, lovely welcome, Bedrooms exceptionally comfortable well equipped So comfortable. Found it really relaxing and really enjoyed this quieter part of the lake district. Came on a Living Social deal. Would recommend this lovely small country house and would definitely stay again. Service great and personalised

1  Thank EnglandBlackbird
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This is a really welcoming establishment with a superb friendly staff. The most important thing I found was that it has a soul to the place which is unlike many places I have stayed at.

The food is excellent ,rooms modern and spotless and the hospitality second to none.
Information on local walks are available in the room and staff even made us a flask of coffee to accompany our bag of goodies (fresh strawberries, carrot cake, biscuits and Kendal mint cake )which were offered as complimentary on our suggested picnic walk.
I fully recommend this establishment.
Well worth the visit

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeside
Lakeside Hotel
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to The Knoll? Share your experiences!