Sella Park Country House Hotel
US$141
US$404
  • Breakfast included
US$108
Grove Court Hotel(Cleator)(Great Value!)
US$81
Ennerdale Country House Hotel(Cleator)(Great Value!)
US$109
The Manor(St Bees)
US$108
Seacote Hotel(St Bees)
US$81
US$78
The Pennington(Ravenglass)
US$148
All reviewswest cumbriabusiness tripseparate buildingsmoked haddocklarge bathroomsea basslovely hotelrecommend this hotelan evening mealcouldn't do enoughafternoon teathe main housedouble roomfollowing morninglounge arealovely foodlittle gem
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Just visited for dinner on friend's recommendation - didn't stay. Have to say up front that the food was stunningly good, but things did not get off to a great start. On taking seats in the slightly tired-looking bar, my female companions each ordered a dry sherry. The young bar-person promptly delivered two sweet sherries and when challenged, offered the explanation that she was "not very up on sherry"! She then returned to take our order and I asked for an explanation of one of the dishes. Asked about 'Canon of Lamb', she first attempted to blag a description, saying that "it was lamb cut up into small pieces', before abandoning the attempt by saying, 'Actually, I'm not very up on lamb"! Such a lack of training is entirely a management failing, in my view. Furthermore, any attempt by the management to create an atmosphere of exclusivity is not assisted by being asked if we were on the 'local newspaper's cheap meal deal'. On the other hand, the restaurant staff could not have been more helpful - they even produced gluten-free bread for one of our party. A good selection of interesting dishes made for a very pleasant dining experience. Atmosphere was a bit lacking for a Saturday night . The place is a bit out of the way, but by the time we finished our meal around 10pm, we were the only people in the restaurant - think there were only three other tables occupied.

Would we go back? Probably, but only to enjoy the expertise of the chef, for which the front-of-house irritations are just about worth bearing.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

So, I a bit of a poor snob when it comes to hotels. Having had the privilege of working and staying in some absolutely beautiful hotels. I feared that Sella Park would be a bit tired and sad, but I was pleasantly surprised. Check in was slow, but there is a nice relaxed air about this. Once you realise that there are only a few staff members on for each shift and they do everything you let this slide and just adjust to the pace very quickly. I was booked in for 2 nights and my room was over in the side block. The corridors and carpets do look like they could use some attention, but my room was fine. Very clean, the bathroom looked like it had been recently refurbished. The toiletries on offer and the tea & coffee are far more than I had expected. The bed was fabulous and I think I was lucky (room 18) to have 3 windows in my room & bathroom, the room felt light and airy. The purpose of my trip was to attend a wedding so I can’t comment on the restaurant, but the food we were served was delicious. The staff are helpful and friendly, and the grounds are very pretty. Yes I know they are close proximity to Sellafield, but you only see it for a second as you walk down towards the river. If you are in the area do stay there. I would recommend, and if I am ever up there again I would stay. Na faults, no negatives. The management should be proud of their team. Don’t expect crazy, faultless 5 star service, what you can expect is a relaxed atmosphere and service that won’t leave you frustrated!

1  Thank Essexbird77
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Set in the most beautiful ground, with the river Calder running through. Gardens to walk round or just sitting. The rooms and excellent, plenty of space and well decorated. The building has a very welcoming friendly feel about it. The staff are very accommodating and helpful. A good choice for breakfast and the snack and meal menu are excellent value. Dog friendly, will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Recently stayed at the hotel for a friends wedding - and the staff and facilities were amazing. Such a beautiful hotel in gorgeous surroundings. It was peaceful and relaxing. The staff could not have been more helpful. Nothing was too much for them. Service in the bar/breakfast room was fast and staff went out of their way to help us with directions to local towns/villiage. I was so impressed with their service through out our stay. The rooms were stunning and immaculate and the bedding so cosy, clean and comfy. My partner and I have already discussed when we could next visit. Cannot express enought thanks for making such an important weekend run so smooth and be so memorable.

Room Tip: Every room I popped into was perfect.
Reviewed 27 August 2013

we stayed for several nights very warm and friendly place ideal for our daughters wedding, very clean, fantastic food, the staff were amazing we couldn't have asked for better. The surrounding gardens were beautiful ideal for the photos.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family