“Evening Meal”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Calder Bridge
Ravenglass, United Kingdom
“Evening Meal”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Fantastic quite location, intimate dining experience. the food was beyond expectation. fresh flavors that were well presented and well served. timings between courses was, for us, just right. all courses were cooked to order and not a 'ping' from a microwave was to be heard!!

I would go so far as to say that this had to be the best evening meal we have had in West Cumbria in a long while

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This place is fantastic, the food is excellent, the service first class,and what a lovely building with a warm and friendly atmosphere,there wont be many places in the lake district with food quality like this place,and to top it off meet the chef Jon what a knowledgeable guy on food this man is.
The hidden gem of west Cumbria been three times so far this year and will be back soon keep up the good work folks.

Room Tip: The lakeland lager is very nice
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank barry m
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Me, my husband & our children went back to the Sellapark for our wedding anniversary as we were married there the previous year I must say we have never been disappointed. The food is always delicious & very well presented the staff are friendly & the hotel itself is beautiful. When we were married there the wedding planner made our day perfect at the Sellapark & the staff were brilliant all day. The rooms were very spacey, clean & well decorated. We often pop in for food wether it be in the afternoon or evening as it has a homely feel & it never seems to disappoint.

Keep up the good work!

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Smurfet01
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I stayed overnight for a business trip - as it seemed were all the other guests who, like me, were there to visit the nearby nuclear re-processing plant. If you want to learn about nuclear physics, just listen to the conversations around you in the bar or dining room! The room was fine, the lamb for dinner was very good indeed, and the whole experience was only let down by breakfast. I ordered the 'milk poached smoked haddock', and as I was the only guest in the breakfast room at that time, could hear what was going on in the kitchen. I was a little concerned when, shortly after ordering, I heard the 'ping' of a microwave, and sure enough my fears were confirmed when moments later my 'milk poached' fish was delivered. Inevitably it was dry, tough and virtually crispy at its edges. The service was friendly and overall the stay was good value for money. Now, about that haddock........

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We were staying at this hotel for a night whilst travelling around the Lake District. Although not in the Lake District per se, you can get there in less than 15 minutes, and probably pay less as a result too.

I thought the rooms were very nice, spacious and pretty. The bathroom was also very large and quite nice to look at, something you don't normally get with bathrooms! I did find it odd that the steps from the shower were carpeted, especially considering the fact that the rest of the bathroom was tiled.

We went for a walk around the grounds which was lovely; you can get right down to the river behind the hotel and it's very peaceful. It was always quiet during our stay, despite the fact that there were many other people staying there.

The one thing that riled us a bit was the restaurant. When we checked in that afternoon, only three hours previously, we were shown a door to the dining room. So that evening we walked in through the dining room door, waited a bit whilst servers and diners stared at us, then sat down a bit awkwardly. It took absolutely ages for anyone to come up to us, and we kept getting weird looks. We were eventually asked if we had a reservation (didn't think we'd need one), and they went to check and said they could "just about fit us in". At this point I'll just say that at no point in the evening were the tables completely occupied.

After a while it seemed to become apparent that the "done" thing was to go to the adjacent bar, place your order, and wait there for it to be ready and then be sat in the restaurant. We would have been happy to do this, had we known this was the case. It left myself and my companion feeling a bit awkward, and we did feel that the staff weren't quite as polite to us as they were to other staff.

The food however was very tasty and well presented, at excellent value. Do note that they give you a free pre-appetiser which I hadn't known about, otherwise I wouldn't have ordered a starter; it left me very full! Particularly good was the pork main which came with no less than 6 different kinds of pork product, which my companion liked an awful lot! I would also highly rate my honey mallard.

The next morning we ate breakfast in the hotel which was included in the price. We had the same waitress as the previous night, and again felt she wasn't as polite to us. This time it was to the point where she didn't offer us any toast, or indeed bring us any. Through listening to her interact with the other diners in the room during our meal, she asked every other group, and brought them toast. I'm not sure if this was an oversight, or if she thought we were trying to be cheeky the night before, but I didn't particularly appreciate it.

Overall though, this was a very good hotel at a decent price, and I would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

We have just stayed at the Sella Park Hotel this weekend. We had a lovely time, room was great, really big and the bathroom was huge and very modern. Nice fresh coffee in the room as well as the usual teas. Food was great ( scrambled eggs and salmon for breakfast was wonderful !!! ). All staff were lovely and friendly. We would definitely stay again and would recommend to friends looking for a peaceful, relaxing break. Thanks again for a lovely stay.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Our room was very nice, clean and tidy. The room was well equipped with everything you needed, it had wifi. The bathroom was pretty big with a good shower and the rest of the room was on 2 levels with the bedroom and a little living area. We stayed in the Lowswater room (I think!) Food was ok and the guy on reception was friendly. We did get locked out when we came back late one evening as the key wouldn't work to open the door!

• Stayed September 2013
#3 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby

Been to Sella Park Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!