“Nice pleasant stay - Restaurant Good”
Review of Damson Dene Hotel

Damson Dene Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crosthwaite
Reviewed 4 December 2013

A very pleasant Groupon stay for 2 x nights; we had to cancel original booking due to family illness and re-arrange for 29th and 30th November, The staff who changed the booking for us could not have been more helpful. This is a nice cosy hotel tucked away with a nice pub for non-residents as well, a nice Restaurant and very pleasant staff. It was tastefully decorated with Christmas trees and Christmas decorations too. We agree with lots of comments on here about the place looking tired in places but don’t let this put you off since it is spotlessly clean. We would not usually choose to stay at a dog-friendly Hotel and we did find dogs were always in the bar whenever we went in; thankfully this was not a problem for us on this occasion. One negative thing we did notice was that you can clearly hear what is going on in rooms above and next to you. We knew when TV’s were on and off, when they were chatting and walking around etc. We dined in the Restaurant both nights and we found the food very nice indeed. The staff are all very pleasant and efficient. Tablecloths would be a nice touch we feel, rather than just table mats. There was a good choice at Breakfast too and once again staff very obliging, We would consider this Hotel again if on a deal for a short break but to be honest would prefer a no pets welcome establishment as first choice usually.

1  Thank RossyRamblers
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for your nice review and for your kind comments about all of our staff. We are further pleased you found us to be good value for money. Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I have just come back from our 2 night stay at the Damson Dene and loved it!
The staff were so friendly and welcoming, particularly the manager Wayne who really went out of his way to talk to all the guests.
The hotel is lovely, cosy and very clean with a nice lounge area in the foyer, a lovely bar area and a large dining area.
The food was superb! We had the 3 course meal on the first night which was excellent with really large portions. The trio of sticky toffee puddings were amazing! Breakfast was also very good.
The bar prices were very reasonable and there was also a pub quiz on the Saturday night run by Wayne which was really good (I believe there was also one on Friday night too!). It was a great way to spend the night as we got chatting to other guests and have a good laugh!
The room itself was quite small but it was cosy and the bathroom was quite a decent size. It was very clean though and previous reviewers who claim it's worn may need to remember this is a 3 star hotel, not the 5 star hotel they may be looking for! I thought everything else about the hotel certainly made up for any wear and tear in the room!
The leisure facilities were ok - the pool was quite cold and the place needed a spruce up as there was a bit of peeling paint - however I believe it is getting decorated over the next few days!
All in all we had a fab time and I will really miss feeding those ducks in the morning! Thank you Wayne and co. for your excellent hospitality, we'd love to come again!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Jen_Andy_Lawson
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you for your stay and wonderful, 5-star review. We really cannot thank you enough for all of your kind comments about our staff, food and lounge area. We're pleased you enjoyed the pub quiz as well. We'd love for you to visit us again.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in November on a special offer following an earlier stay at a hotel which is part of the same group. Nice welcoming log fire in reception on arrival, warm welcome from receptionist. Rooms rather compact but very comfy and warm. I have only rated it average though, because the standard was what I would expect from a 3 star hotel and because of the sound of running water to adjoining rooms as other guests used their bathrooms. This sounded quite loud at times as the hotel is in a very peaceful location.
Had a meal in the Restaurant one night and in the bar on the other - both excellent. Full english breakfast also excellent and the staff very friendly and efficient. Didn't use the Spa or gym so can't comment on that. Will stay there again especially as we received another special offer voucher on checkout. Overall we really enjoyed our stay.

1  Thank 165andrewb

Thanks for your lovely review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for your kind review of your dining experience and our staff too. We will look forward to warmly welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

THE GOOD:

The food at Damson Dene is incredible. We had dinner included on the first night but chose to eat there on the second night too as the food was so good. For quality, presentation and freshness it would have held its own at a five start hotel.

The location is great, around a 10 minute drive to Bowness/Windermere, its near enough not to be a chore and far enough to be nice and quiet.

The view from our room was great and a real joy to wake up to.

The grounds of the hotel are lovely and although we visited in winter it was really nice to walk down to the pond and see the ducks.

The manager, Wayne, is really enthusiastic and takes time to talk to guests and engage with them.

The pool area is nice and a decent size. Unfortunately the steam room was not working when we were there but there was no sign to inform us. There was a sign to say the jacuuzi wasn't working, but it was! The sauna was lovely.

THE BAD:

The Service can be quite hit and miss. The staff are friendly and but sometimes you can tell the guests are not always the first priority. For breakfast on the second morning I asked for 2 poached eggs. They took so long to come that people at the next table who arrived after us had almost finished their food by the time they came. Two waitresses had been having a good old natter for some time so I asked if they could see where my eggs were, when they arrived they had quite obviously been ready for some time and the waitresses had just not bothered collecting them. I was quite disappointed as one of them was inedible and really not worth the wait.

We had a voucher for a bottle of house wine on the second night. I asked if I could order a different bottle and pay the difference, which from the menu looked like the difference would cost £1.60. The waiter brought the wine, I tasted it, he filled the glass, and then presented me with a bill for around £10. When I questioned it he brought the menu over and proceeded to patronise me very loudly in the middle of a packed restaurant 'you ordered this and it cost more money which you now have to pay... yes?'. We eventually got to the bottom of the problem which was that the house wine which is the 'free' bottle isn't actually listed on the menu, this wasn't made clear when I ordered the wine and I felt was very sneaky and very poorly dealt with. Even though they had poured a glass of the more expensive wine it was whipped away and replaced after a delay with the new wine. I had almost finished my starter by the time I eventually had any wine to drink and the row actually took place while we were in the middle of our food!

THE UGLY:

The room we were allocated was very small and the walls were paper thin, to the extent that we could hear the gentleman in the next room breaking wind whilst mid urination! Beautiful!

• Stayed: November 2013
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you for your review, broken down helpfully in areas we did well and where we can improve; we do appreciate your 4-star ranking though. We are surprised at the comments about the service as it is usually such a strong point. To wit, I apologise about the eggs. Thanks again.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We came back! After our last stay we were looking forward to visiting again, and booked a little earlier to have a better choice of room. Given Room 22 this time - good size, well furnished, and the view when I opened the curtains next morning was a typical Lakeland scene plus 12 deer about 20 yards away. Minor faults were a weak shower and a radiator that needed bleeding to maximise heat.
The food was excellent again - lunch, dinner, and breakfast. Spa facilities good, with only the steam room not working on the day. Unusually for the hotel trade ALL the staff have personalities and are helpful and friendly.
Already looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Room 22 - good size for 2 - shower could do with an upgrade.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Great review thank you. We love that 5-star rating too and we're very pleased you visited us again. It is always enjoyable being greeted by deer in the nearby fields on the morning too! Thanks again.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Just had 2 nights at the hotel through groupon vouchers, room was ice cold when we arrived nobody had thought to turn the radiator on before we arrived. The hotel and room both need some updating but was clean and tidy. Evening meal was only average glad i wasn't paying price as the vouchers where a gift, on the other side of the coin the breakfasts where great and during our stay the staff were always polite and attentive. The leisure facilities where clean and warm and a pleasure to use, all in all apart from the above we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am surprised at your comments about our dinner as it is usually such a high point; we are pleased you enjoyed the breakfasts though. Thanks also for mentioning our leisure facilities too and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks again.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I have never left a review before, despite using trip advisor for every hotel I have stayed in, ranging from hotels in Europe to South America. I booked a 1 night stay dinner bed and breakfast deal through Groupon for me and my wife's 1st year anniversary, prior to arriving I emailed the hotel explains that we were coming to stay for a special occasion and if there was anything they could do that would make our that extra special, like a room upgrade could they do anything. I received an email saying the hotel was full therefore no room upgrade was available, no biggy but I did think that they maybe could have offered something else? Complimentary bottle of wine at dinner maybe?

Anyway, we arrived at around 4 to check in. We were greeted by a friendly man who gave us our room keys and explained the leisure facilities and booked us in for dinner. We stayed in room 26 with a nice view of the hotel grounds. On first look the room was nice, on the small side but perfectly acceptable for a weekend stay, bathroom was in a separate room and on first look that was fine too. On closer inspection though there were a few faults with the room such as a crack in the bath panel, badly plastered walls and dirty marks on the skirting board. We used the leisure facilities - a pool, steam room (which was more like a warm room than a steam room), sauna (which heated up when you put water on the heater but lost its heat straight away, the temperature gauge didn't work and the timer didn't either) and jacuzzi which was good.

Now on to the best part I the hotel and what has balanced the review to a 3 star - the food.

As soon as we sat down the restaurant staff were great and seem to care about what they were doing. The three course meal was really good and really did make up for the previous bad points. The meats were cooked perfectly and there was lots of it. After we had our meal we sat by the log burning fire - a great feature of this hotel, chilling with a glass of wine.

I had a decent nights sleep, the bed was a but firm for my liking but that is personal preference.

Buffet breakfast the next morning again was outstanding, the staff again great at the restaurant.

All in all would I go back? Yes but not paying full price, I would have to buy a groupon style voucher

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and lovely comments about our staff and dining experience. We also appreciate your constructive criticism about ways to improve the hotel. Do keep an eye as we are always running special offers. Thanks again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crosthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
#4 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness

Been to Damson Dene Hotel? Share your experiences!