“Not bad for an overnighter.”
Review of Damson Dene Hotel

Damson Dene Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crosthwaite
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The best thing about this Hotel is that it's got a lovely olde world feel about it. The log fire in the lounge and the seating on the big settees make it a nice place to unwind after a long day. We must have dropped on a 'dog free' day because we never saw or even smelled one on our visit. Our room was a four poster with a Jaccuzi in the bathroom, the down side being it was broken and no matter how many times we pumped the button as per instructions it wouldn't work and the bath was so small it wasn't really a bath. Also the shower wasn't really a shower as such, it was a hand held thing with nowhere to hang it up, not much cop when putting shampoo on!! Theres a proper spa in the Hotel anyway although we never got chance to use it. The view from our window was onto a flat roof so basically no view at all, the room was nice and clean and the bed was very comfortable. The meals were excellent, I had Beef which was cooked perfectly, our friends had Lamb but had to send it back as it seemed undercooked,some items were served not as on the menu but all our complaints were dealt with very quickly and courteously. The buffet breakfast was top quality and freshly cooked, top marks for that as I love my Full English. The bar areas are nicely laid out overlooking the pond and just the place to relax in. This Hotel was featured in a Channel 4 documentary a few years ago although I never watched it, there's a few mementoes from the cast framed on the walls. Would I visit again? Yes... Probably.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor as the lower ones our friends had were quite small and dark .
1  Thank Tigerman579
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Thanks so much for your review and stay. We are pleased you enjoyed the old world feel of the hotel and that you enjoyed relaxing in the bar area. I am sorry your friends had to send their lamb back. Slightly "undercooked" lamb is actually a beautiful thing, but perhaps not to everyone's taste. We certainly hope you return to visit in the future. Thanks again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,207)

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed at the hotel some years ago. At that time it was quiet and laid back. Set in the countryside with lot's of pleasant walks at the location as well as pleasant gardens it was ideal for a relaxing weekend get together with friends. So.... we thought we would do it again, Hotel looked the same upon arrival, the weather was great. Entered the reception area to the smell of damp dogs. Waited to check in for too long whilst a couple complained about their room. Stayed in room 34 which was almost underground, the corridor and the room smelled of damp dogs also. Window was wide open. When it was closed the smell of dog was overpowering.

Decided to have a coffee in the room whilst getting ready for our night out. The noise of dogs barking in various rooms bewcame unbearable. I tracked down three of the rooms where the dogs were barking/howling and knocked on their door to ask them to quieten them down. No one answered the door, so I went to reception and complained to the receptionist who had obviousely had a bad day and scowered at me before emphatically stating: " well it is a dog friendly hotel" I believe that this reaction had well used by her. I provided the numbers of the rooms where the noise was coming from and she dissappeared without a word. Never to return despite my waiting.

Upon our return to the hotel there were dogs in the lounge, dogs in the bar, dogs in the car park and dogs in the rooms. A dog had been sick in the hallway (I hope it was a dog) and the stench was incredible.

People were turning up to book in the hotel with three and four dogs. Although this review doesn't read as if I like dogs I actually do and have had them almost all of my life. However, this was not a hotel as such, more like a waiting room for Crufts.

Beds were so small! Rooms and bathrooms were good apart from the Doggie smell off the carpet. Walls were so thin we could hear every word spoken by neighbours from both sides of the room.

Breakfast was good but bar meals were only average. Didn't use the spa so can't comment. Car parking dificult at times as not enough spaces when hotel is busy.

Staff were from varying countries. Bucharest, Spain and what appeared to be Poland. Must say tho' they were all pleasant.

Upon checking out had to wait again as another couple complaining about their room.... somethiung about... you guessed it ... the smell of Dog! Sorry Damson Dene but won't be coming back.

Room Tip: Do not allow yourself to be put into the underground rooms, all numbered in the thirties.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JOHN W

As stated in the review below from this person's partner; we are very sorry they did not enjoy their stay. Yes, we are dog-friendly. We do our very best to make sure that only well-behaved, clean dogs are booked in. This being The Lakes, dogs do get wet. Normally, this is not a problem as our cleaning team are experts at keeping the hotel spotless. The rooms in the thirties are hardly underground and they have beautiful views of the surrounding countryside.

On another note, we are very proud of our international staff. They are friendly, efficient and professional. They enrich the hotel with their experience and cosmopolitan outlook.

Once again, we apologise that you did not enjoy your stay and that we were not the hotel for you.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

This really was a treat! We stayed on a two night groupon deal and also enjoyed a lake cruise of our choice.Not only could we find no fault with our stay,the high quality of the food and the exceptionally efficient and pleasant service from all staff deserve special mention.The setting is quiet and secluded yet only a short drive to Windermere.To top it all the weather was glorious.We'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ann R

Thank you for spending Mother's Day with us; everyone had a lovely time (I'm sure the weather did help with that as well!). We appreciate your nice comments about our staff, food and the location of the hotel as well. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed 2 nights on the groupon voucher and to be fair it's a three star hotel and that's what you get. the icing on the cake is the fantastic food , lovely staff and the gorgeous surroundings.
Our room was unusual the main part had no window which was odd but through a arch was a little annex with two windows and a single bed that my daughter loved as it gave her a little in dependant space of her own yet she was still safe .
The breakfast was one of the best we have had anywhere !
We are on Vodaphone and had no problems with service or internet .
On reflection I would say a tin of magnolia would solve a lot of the gripes people have and our room 2 did have an overwhelming smell of smoke of an evening from the fire how you would resolve this I don't know.
All in all we got value for money but I wouldn't pay rack rate

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank luvrholsCumbria

Thank you for visiting. Your review was enjoyable to read. Room 2 is a good family room; kids definitely enjoy being in their "own" room, but parents appreciate that they are close by as well. We are very happy that you found us to be good value and appreciate all of your comments about our food, staff and location. Thanks again.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed last weekend and found the hotel was very good but for one or two niggles. The water pressure in our room was low and barely able to run the shower, the other was that the internet connection was equally feeble. As a result I could not recommend this hotel for work conferencing or streaming Iplayer. To be fair though, everything else was A1.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Savsail
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thanks for visiting and posting your nice review. Very happy you enjoyed your stay save the couple of niggles; we are sorting out the bugs in our new WiFi system, but we aren't far from having it being perfect. Thanks again.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I had booked the two night Groupon deal for my boyfriends birthday and were really looking forward to it. The receptionist Yvonne was rather surly and not as friendly and accomodating as i would have hoped, which didnt give us the greatest first impression. We were given room 34 and on entry we were greeted by the most unpleasant wet dog smell. The window was wide open in the hope to get rid of the smell but it was absolutely ingrained into the carpets, along with lots and lots of dog hairs. I would have thought that pet friendly rooms would be kept for customers with pets only, especially accounting for people with pet allergies. We complained at reception and moved to room 20 which thankfully was odour free.

The room was satisfactory but certainly dated. The bed was hardly big enough for two people. The water in the bathroom taps spluttered out constantly and soaked everywhere.

We couldnt get Wifi in the room at all and had to stand out in the corridor to get any signal.

The food for the evening meal was probably the worst food myself and my boyfriend have ever had. We actually couldnt bring ourselves to eat course 3 and 4. The quality, portions and presentation may have been acceptable 20 years ago but certainly hadnt kept up to date with current dining standards. My boyfriend started with the pate, which was two huge dollops of mushy pate and one small piece of toasted bread, with some token salad leaves in the middle of the plate. I had the Tarte tartin, which was basically a half cooked cirle of puff pastry with caramalised onions ontop in the middle of a huge bowl full of spinach and salad leaves and some goats cheese pieces strewn around. My boyfriends risotto was the most disgusting mush on a plate we had ever seen, with giant pieces of green beans, courgette and broccoli in between white mushy rice topped with a large amount of goats cheese. My salmon came out totally raw in the middle so I asked it be cooked some more, it came back only just cooked through but with a lot of bones in it too. The 'potato rosti' was a mound of crushed new potatoes which had absolutely no flavour whatsoever. We had about two mouthfuls and couldnt eat anymore. They say you eat with your eyes and i can honestly say that this food had no attention to detail when it came to presentation, no thought involved regarding portion sizes and no idea when it came to flavour. The waiter did ask us if we wanted anything else but we politely declined.

On check out the receptionist asked us if we enjoyed our stay and we were honest. She stated that the hotel was known for its good food which we were surprised about. We declined the voucher she was going to give us for another stay.

On the whole i think i had high expectations mainly due to the website and the photographs of the hotel but in reality the whole place is dated and in need of a good once over. On a plus the waiters in the restaurant were attentive and polite and the pool was quite nice but we certainly wouldnt be going back to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid room 34 if you dont have a pet.
1  Thank lozza1983photo

We were disappointed to read this review, not least because we are quite well-known for the quality of our dining experience. As others can read on here, our food and the chefs preparing it are highly regarded for their skill. We are just sorry that this couple was unable to experience what so many others have. We do have several rooms held off as pet-free, but the nature and high occupancy of the hotel sometimes makes it difficult to allocate pet-free rooms at all times. Typically, the rooms are cleaned to such a standard that all pet residue and smells are gone. We do apologise that this was not the case.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Although I was a bit disappointed our room did not have a bath we had a lovely stay. The food served was top quality and my boyfriend was very impressed with the 'help yourself' style English breakfast. In fact he liked it so much he helped himself to a second full plate!! The evening meal was included in with our 2 night stay and was excellent.

The pool was small but clean. I did find it a bit cold for me, but I was informed that the temperature was average for a competitive pool. I also treated myself to a facial in the treatment room which was extremely relaxing and good value for money.

On the first night we joined the quiz and it was great fun. All money raised was for a local children's charity and Martyn was a brilliant host. There was a lovely atmosphere and all the guests seemed to be also having a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thanks for reviewing your stay with us. Guests certainly won't go hungry whilst staying with us, and our delicious breakfast buffets sets one up nicely for the day! We're pleased you enjoyed the quiz as well and the local children's group will certainly appreciate your help. Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crosthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#11 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Damson Dene Hotel? Share your experiences!