“Needs a good clean”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crosthwaite
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
“Needs a good clean”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2010

I ended up at this hotel when their sister hotel the Riverside in Kendal had double booked my reservation even though I'd reserved & paid for it 2 months previously. The Damson Dene is in the middle on nowhere and when the Riverside told me I had to go & stay there & wouldn't do anything else I had to ask for the postal code to put in my satnav. What they don't tell you is that post code leads you to a farm house, whose poor owner is sick to death of people turning up at her property who think it's the Damson Dene!!
The DD hotel is very tired looking, guests rooms had received a rather unimaginative makeover but the worst thing was the amount of dog hair on the carpets. In our room the carpet was covered in what looked like golden retriever fur - unless the previous guest was a blonde with a severe case of hair loss. No way had the room been vacuumed before our stay. The stairs leading to the rooms also had dog hair on them and were very tatty.
There was absolutely no hot water on the morning we were due to leave. The receptionist told me they were "filling the pool" oh - so that's alright then!! When I again tried to have a shower after breakfast there was still no hot water so had to contact reception again who reported it to maintenance. It was still a while before it was sorted so I had to have a shower in the swimming pool changing rooms! This had happened to at least 2 other lots of guests who had gone to reception to complain.
Breakfast was ok, staff helpful but a staff member's dog was wandering in and out of the breakfast area.
The pool is ok, jacuzzi is very dangerous to get in and out of and changing area could be better. The best thing about this place was the gardens with lawns, trees and pond. My son has a disability and the reason I'd booked the original hotel in Kendal is because I could drive there and everything's on your doorstep. With this hotel I had to drive 7 miles just to get something to eat as I don't like to be stuck in a hotel's restaurant. I couldn't relax and have a drink because I had to drive everywhere. Would not recommend particularly as if you don't have a satnav or, like mine it doesn't always get a satellite signal - it's very stressful finding the hotel at night after you've had to drive to Bowness to eat something. The hotel's brochure describes it fitness centre as one of the best in Cumbria - what a joke - it's got a few machines in a small room and no air-conditioning!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank acornfencing
newbybridge, Assistant to the Director at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2010
We are very sorry that you had to be moved from one of our other hotels, it is a very rare occurrence that this happens and it has been dealt with very seriously. In regards to the problem you had with your satnav, it is only one particular make of satnav that experiences this problem, our postcode is correct and we have tried to contact the satnav company but to no avail, I can only apologise for this. I am sorry that you had problems with the hot water; it is a problem that we are currently rectifying with our plumber. The hotel obviously wasn’t right for your needs and what want from a holiday in terms of location and in terms of the style as it very different from the one you had originally booked. We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and I have passed on all your comments to each department to be dealt with and rectified.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
newcastle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2010

we stayed here for a 3 night break with family. the majority of the staff were friendly,
the rooms were small, the tv was placed on the wall so you couldnt really see it from the bed, it also had poor reception. the showers were useless, going from hot to cold and little power, the towels were ruff and in short supply, i had to ask for a facecloth but the rooms were clean and tidy with tea etc, hairdryer etc. The grounds were clean and tidy. The breakfasts were ok, the cooked breakfast was on a hot hob and looked a little dried out at times, but tasted ok. The evening meals were fairly good, and we had a good deal with the hotel. the beauty treatments were good priced and staff were helpful in re-scheduling. Yes the hotel was a little dated in parts, some being modern decor and old fashioned in other parts, but for a 3 star, it was clean, tidy, staff were accomodating, and the food was good. Location was a bit of a pain, as although it was stood on its own, it was right onto a little road, but was only 10mins from windemere and the view was ok. would go back again. good value for money. great how you can take your dogs.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry that you experienced problems with our showers this is a problem that we are currently investigating and we have been assured from our plumbers will be fixed. We hope that you will come and stay with us again soon and that we can improve on you experience.
newcastle upon tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2010

From the moment I entered the hotel I was greeted with a friendly smile and a great welcome .My room was clean and had all the ammenities a city centre hotel would have,the bar area was quite but again a friendy face on the bar,this is a great place to unwind and take in the natural beauty of the lake district,a car is needed to get about as this hotel is set in the country. There was a lot of families staying at this hotel so very child friendly ideal as the leisure club is a great place to enjoy.A very pleasant welcome at breakfast ,self service with plenty of choice and a great view over the gardens.The manager is an asset to this hotel his proffesionalism and customer care are spot on.looking forward to returning again in August with the family and friends

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank nat45_10
west yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

We stayed at the Damson Dene 9th & 10th April, Having read some reviews we were a little apprehensive, The rooms although dated , were clean had hairdryer , iron, 'The Tub ' toiletries even a mini sewing kit & shoe shine , The pool sauna & steam room were perfect. Highly recommend a session with the 'Healing Hands'.
All the staff we encountered were very polite and friendly at all times, which makes a big difference. The food Mmmm , not the worst we've had , breakfast was good and of ample quantity, main meal starters & desserts were excellant , main meal was o.k , good selection of wines at reasonable prices for hotels,
Would we choose to stay at Damson Dene again ? Yes without a doubt , it was a very good 3 star hotel , I'm certain the only thing preventing it from being 4 star is the dated rooms !

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
newbybridge, Assistant to the Director at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2010
Thank you very much for your great review, our beautician is thrilled that you would recommend her treatments. I have passed on your comments about the meals to our chef, average is not what he aims for, the kitchen really takes pride in the food produced and the ingredients that the hotel is supplied. We hope that you will stay with us again soon.
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2010

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel and I would not rate this as a 3 star hotel, the rooms are not cleaned properly, the grounds are unkept and the food is of a poor quality. Whilst the reception and waiting staff are friendly, the general manager was incredibly rude. When we complained about the hairs left in the bath tub and bathroom floor by the housekeeping team, he claimed we were lying.
Would not go back or recommend this hotel to anyone - which is a shame as the location is great and the site has much potential.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank MissAsliO
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at the Damson Dene Hotel. We do take cleanliness at the hotel very seriously; any reports of any problems are always dealt with very quickly and efficiently. We cannot always get everything right for every customer although that is always our aim sometimes it is not always achievable. I have passed on your comments to each department involved.
Newcastle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2010

The hotel is for dog lovers....there were dogs everywhere. They weren't supposed to bark but did. The place is cute but not clean enough. It has a 3 star rating but I would say that's too generous. The rooms I booked were not available when we arrived, and we were given rooms that were not big enough and didn't have enough beds. Then they told me these smaller rooms were more expensive than the family rooms I had booked. What? The pool was pretty good but the hot tub was not hot (I was worried about catching something in there). We could never get the phone in one room to work, and neither could the staff. Fraying carpet everywhere -- not what I would expect in a "decent" hotel. I had a horrible time and couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank NewcastleMisery
newbybridge, Assistant to the Director at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2010
Thank you for taking time to write your review, we really appreciate all comments, good and bad. We are very sorry that you stayed with us at a time when we had noisy dogs in the hotel; this is quite a rarity as although we do have dogs staying they are usually very well behaved. We are very confused about the room changes mentioned here, as it very unusual for rooms to be changed and even more so for a room to be allocated incorrectly, I have asked the Head Receptionist to investigate this. I can assure you that our pool and hot tube are extremely clean and well looked after, each morning all the water is tested as is required.
We cannot hit the mark every time, but it is always a disappointment when we don’t
Merseyside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2010

We have just returned from our first visit to Damson Dene. The hotel is in a lovely quiet spot close to Bownwess. The rooms have been refurbished and were spotlessly clean. Staff were very pleasant throughout the hotel. We decided to eat in the hotel as the menu had a good choice. However, our starter was lukewarm and we sent it back to the kitchen, when it returned it was only slightly better. The lamb was very tough and the vegetables very undercooked. We were extremely disappointed, as the hotel itself is a good choice for a short break, especially with the added bonus of the leisure centre. If we stayed again, we would eat out.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
newbybridge, assistant to the director at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2010
Thank you for taking the time to send us your valuable feedback. I apologise for you being served such poor meals in our restaurant, we really place a high importance on our food as we provide the meats from our own local farm and the a lot of the herbs and vegetables from our own kitchen garden, so it is very sad to hear that it has been poorly prepared after so much effort has gone into supplying a high quality local product. Since writing your email we do have a new Head Chef and we would love you stay with us again so we can serve you a meal we are really proud of.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crosthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,009 reviews
Newby Bridge Hotel
Newby Bridge Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newby Bridge

Been to Damson Dene Hotel? Share your experiences!