“What a wonderful location for a wedding!”
Review of Damson Dene Hotel

Damson Dene Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crosthwaite
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We stayed for my daughter's wedding and had a wonderful time. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the event went off smoothly. It felt very intimate and the setting was beautiful, without the hassle of normal Lake District traffic problems. The hotel does need some money spent on it but it is 'shabby chic'. We enjoyed the swimming-pool and the beauty/ relaxation treatments! The food was good and plentiful.
There were some problems but the sign of a good organisation is how it deals with them - and we can't fault how Wayne and the staff responded. It pays to be courteous and civil to everyone- unpleasant guests are a damned nuisance to everyone!
A nice extra was being able to pet other people's dogs! And some guests even left kind notes in my daughter's guestbook! Overall, a lovely, value-for-money place with very pleasant staff.

1  Thank barnesroberts
newbybridge, Public Relations Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2010

Thank you very much for your lovely review, what a compliment to receive from the Mother of Bride we couldn’t be happier that you enjoyed the wedding and have taken the time to post such a positive review on trip advisor for us. I will pass on all your comments to Wayne and the team, we hope that you will come and visit us for a holiday soon.

There are newer reviews for Damson Dene Hotel

Reviewed 26 July 2010

We were looking forward to our 2 night Break in the 'Lakes' , but was quite disappointed with the Damson Dene Hotel. It is only about a 10 minute drive from Bowness and Lake Windermere, but seemed quite remote. The Hotel doesn't look as attractive in real life as it does on the website, infact had we seen it beforehand, we would not have booked a room here. The staff that we spoke to all seemed pleasant and were very polite. Our room, which was a Four Poster with Jacuzzi (with a single fold away bed in for our Daughter), because of an 'upgrade' as we were told the family rooms were full, although sounding quite luxurious, was infact very small and the bathroom also and incidently the shower over the bath which we were under the impression was one we could actually shower under, had a 3 foot hose and so the only way we could shower was to kneel down in the bath. The room looked clean but the stairs leading up to the landing was always full of dog hairs and the corridoor leading to the rooms were very narrow and 'pokey'. We also didn't sleep much on both of our nights, as the first night we were disturbed off and on by loud talking and laughing from people outside up until about 3.00 am and on the second night it was the usual loud noise when somebody in the next room went to the toilet and then ran the tap. We paid for breakfast and dinner and thought the food was quite good, but all things considered and on the whole thought the Hotel was a little over priced and we wouldn't want to return here.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us at the hotel. The hotel is in a quiet country location, surrounded by fields and woods which is part of it charm, a very traditional Lakes location, we realize that this is not always what everyone looks for in holiday but we do emphasis this point in our literature.
The bathroom is designed around the Jacuzzi bath, the shower is an extra but the heart of the bathroom is the large Jacuzzi bath, we are sorry if you were expecting a shower. The building is an old country house and hence the rooms are smaller with smaller corridors but this again is very lovely but not, as I accept, what some people look for in a hotel. I think maybe that the hotel wasn’t really what you were looking for in accommodation; perhaps maybe on your next visit to the Lakes you would try our more modern town centre hotel, ‘The Riverside Hotel Kendal’.

Reviewed 25 July 2010

I booked the hotel, then read some bad comments so I went there with a double feeling. But...the hotel was great! We had a big familyroom although some rooms may be a bit small but we got lucky. The kids loved the fitnessroom and swimmingpool very much which were very nice too! There was a nice jacuzzi, sauna and steamroom next to the pool from where i could keep an eye on the kids. Breakfast was ok when you like cooked english breakfast. It would be perfect if there were fresh fruit, breadrolls and some cheese or cold meat with it. Dinner was perfect as it was, every day a different menu with choise of at least 6 different starters, mains and desserts which were all perfectly cooked! There is a nice bar where you can have a drink in the evening or at 3 km there is a very nice pub which serves good food too. I'd recommend this hotel to others and I'd go there again if i'd plan another trip to the ever so beautiful Lake District! Thanks to the staf for being so friendly! Only negative thing I have to say is that my internet wasn't working at the hotel but other ppl's seem to work, guess Belgian laptops are not allowed in uk LOL.

1  Thank Anneke1969
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Arrived with a group of 19 for a family wedding, hotel ok, nice location and surroundings. Breakfast of a good standard, and plenty food to be had. Wedding service went very well, and the Wedding Breakfast was excellent, but that's where the good things finished. We were in a private section of the hotel restaurant, a function room for the meal and evening gathering, which had been paid for, for the whole evening. We had music playing through 1 speaker, and was told in no uncertain terms to turn it down, or preferably off, as it was disturbing the other guests, bear in mind this was only 8pm. The room was then left set for the meal, with nowhere for the guests to dance, to the now almost inaudiable music. We left the room to get more drinks, only to find the staff setting the tables up for breakfast sittings!

As for the bar being open until all residents have gone to bed, (Read the managers comments further down) the bar closed just after midnight, and we were then literally thrown out of the bar area and told to sit in the lounge / reception area, and then to add insult to injury, the bar server then told us to shut up and be quiet, and if we didn't he would call the police and have us arrested!!!

Great customer service skills Damson Dene, the 20 people from our party have all said we will never return.

Choose wisley people, a wedding is an expensive day, and money spends anywhere, don't let somebody or a venue spoil your big day.

32  Thank Iamanamenotanumber
newbybridge, General Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2010

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Damson Dene Hotel.

We endeavour to please all our guests who attend functions and special occasions at the hotel, the wedding reception you attended was no exception. We try where possible to cater for all needs like the playing of load music even if not pre booked or arranged, which was the case on this particular occasion and absolutely no request were made for a dance floor. We have to consider the the comfort and relaxation of other guest staying at the hotel. As the function room adjoins the restaurant it was not possible to have the music turned up without disturbing other guests, even though it was only 8.00pm. As I am sure you can appreciate 8.00pm is a busy time for any Restaurant. At no time was any member of the party told to turn the music off. The Restaurant had been vacated for almost an hour before staff prepared for the next service period, staff had checked with a member of the party that the room was finished with.

We want and encourage our guest to enjoy their celebrations late into the day (in this case almost 1.00pm) guest are asked to take drinks through to the lounge and on occasions we do remind guest to be considerate of others staying in the hotel with regard to noise levels. I am sure you would want the same courtesy attributed to you if you were not with a wedding party. I am certain this was undertaken with the greatest of respect to guests and without the threat of being arrested. There is also no question in my mind that my staff and myself treated all guest attending this function courteously and with the utmost respect.

Once again thank you for your comments

Reviewed 7 July 2010

Hotel in need of some tender loving care. Rooms and furnishings looking a little tired.Rooms were not large but adequate for short break. Hotel in a peaceful location, no mobile phone signal, made for an even more peaceful stay.
The staff were all very friendly and could not have been any more helpful if they tried.
The food was excellent , sufficient choice and good quality. The restaurant overlooked the lovely gardens.
Overall a delightful stay. Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank weekenders56
newbybridge, Assistant to the Director at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2010

Thank you for this lovely review and we all hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2010

Grandparents offered to have the kids so that my hubbie and I could have a weekend away for his 40th. Booked a four-poster room, as it was a special occasion.

Got to the hotel. Made our way downstairs and along numerous corridors before reaching the room. The bed literally took up 99% of the room. I would describe myself as slim, but I had to turn sideways to get past the foot of the bed. I went in the bathroom and it was just vile. Grey, striped, ill-fitting lino on the floor reminded me of the toilets at primary school. I could have cried.

I went back to reception and told them I felt very sad, and I'd wanted a nice room for hubbie's birthday.

They were quite nice, and moved us to a room on the top floor, which was five times the size of the original one. They had to move the champagne and flowers out of that room, which had been reserved for guiests yet to arrive, so I felt very sorry that they had now been transferred to a ver poky room.

The wallpaper was peeling off the walls. The paint was peeling on the window. The bed made the most terrible racket when you just sat on it, let alone anything else (!) The TV only had two channels that worked. I went in the shower at 7.30pm and there was no water pressure at all, and what dribble did come out was freezing. The grey lino was ripped, and there was a significant amount of mould around the tiles.

We enjoyed our meal that night, and the staff were very polite, although none of them could really speak any English.

That night we were kept awake by the noise of some huge extractor fan coming out the kitchens, and a very bright exterior light.

Our paper did not arrive in the morning.

The shower, however, was pretty good in the morning, so obviously they need to be used off-peak.

Breakfast was OK, and the view was nice.

When we left I told the staff I was gutted and really disappointed with everything. She gave me 10% off the bill, saying she wasn't authorised to take any more off, and I could write to the management if I wanted a refund.

I didn't bother, but will NEVER go here again, at least not until it's had a £3 million makeover. The whole place just needs rubbing out and re-drawing.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank griff2girls
newbybridge, Assistant to the Director at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2010

I am really sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and that you are upset that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Please accept the my apology on behalf of all the management and we will investigate into your comments.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

The brochure for this hotel makes it look so much better than it actually is. Our first room was located at the end of a corridor in the bowels of the hotel with a view overlooking the service yard & skips full of old mattresses. We were told that the hotel had internet connection in the rooms but this room was so remote we were unable to log on and the TV didn't work. We asked to move rooms so that we could get the internet and were given a room on the first floor. Again this was that the end of the corridor and again there was no internet connectivity. The shower temperature was totally uncontrollable and it would suddendly go from comfortably warm to either freezing or boiling in a nano-second. The toilet seat was loose. The TV would switch itself off out of the blue, especially when the people in the next room shut their door!!!?? We did have a much better view though - it's just a pity the double glazing in the window was so frosted up that it was hard to see.
The food was average (if you wanted a basic steak and chips off the menu it cost an additional £5.00)
The staff were pleasant though and the bed was comfortable.
We booked a three night break, but only stayed two as another night of coaxing the TV into action and suffering the intollerable shower didn't appeal.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sashabel

We are truly very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. Admittedly the hotel is an old building and we do sometimes have problems with things like the TV wiring and the boiler, but we work really hard in other areas to make up for this. As you will have noticed during your stay the standards or customer service is extremely high and if any guest is unhappy our staff will try every endeavor to rectify the problem. We take our food very seriously; all the ingredients are sourced locally or come from our own farm and kitchen garden. We are very sorry that our hotel didn’t suit your needs for your holiday and hope that you enjoy your next visit to the Lake District.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crosthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#4 of 13 in Kendal
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection

Been to Damson Dene Hotel? Share your experiences!