“Great service and exceptional food, but lighting in restaurant not great.”

The Punch Bowl Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Crosthwaite B&B and Inns
Guildford
“Great service and exceptional food, but lighting in restaurant not great.”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Great food and general service good. The restaurant has peculiar lighting which makes a quiet romantic dinner difficult as you feel like you're under flood lights! Anyway, apart from that the food was terrific and the manageress on duty that night went out of her way to ensure we were looked after. For that alone, we will return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Barrowford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Decided to have a day out, rang & booked a table with Lauren 2 in the Bar/lounge by the fire Sunday lunch for two...
Lorraine i think looked after us, had a couple of great local pints on their recommendation, then sat us down in a lovely room, fire lit great Christmas feeling...
Had nice bread & butter (with salt, for those who like salted butter, nice touch..) I had a lovely twice baked Lancashire Soufflé, Heather had very delicious Kedgeree with quail eggs & little curry sauce, we both followed this with Roast Pheasant lunch, served pink, fab...!
Then our waitress recommended Chefs versionMarmalade Bread & Butter pudding a delicious finale to a wonderful meal.. Definitely worth the trip..!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulRFence310
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We recently stayed at this wonderful 'gastro-pub' after much searching for somewhere special to celebrate my husband's birthday. The inn is situated in the very beautiful Lyth Valley and very close to the M6, so easy to find, but still feels remote!
We had opted for the 'Peake' room, which was lavishly furnished with views over the valley (some of the best sun rises we have ever seen). The best part was probably the bathroom, with its large roll top bath!
Service was good for the most part and the dinners there were wonderful. The chef there is absolutely fantastic. The food is inventive, seasonal and delicious! My husband had the same starter two nights in a row as a result!
If you can get the right deal, it is not too expensive to stay there for the quality you receive. We are coming back in the future with friends!

Room Tip: Peake was fabulous, you don't need to splurge for the more expensive rooms!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RLA94
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I visited the Punch Bowl Inn & Restaurant by mistake. Some years ago I deviated from the M6 to visit a restaurant south of Kendal on the recommendation of a review in Scotland on Sunday. I was pleased and wanted to return. On this occasion I thought I was returning to the same establishment but was wrong and I am so glad for that. This was more memorable and I will not forget either the name or the place. The food was excellent and the service friendly and welcoming - a singing waiter added to the wonderful atmosphere of the place. It goes without saying that the food on offer far surpasses that available in the Service areas on the M6 and is well worth the extra miles to reach it. Plan your journey north or south and allow yourself time to go there. The trouble you take will be well rewarded.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here on recommendation as part of mini tour for our honeymoon. Basically I cannot wait to come back!.
The inn does what it says with none of the pretentiousness often associated with more formal establishments. We stayed in the suite 'noble' which was luxuriously fantastic!.
I must admit I had a small reservation about there being no hot drinks facilities in the room, you call down to the bar and they bring it up. However the time between call and tea for two arrival at our door was far less than the time it would take for a kettle to boil!!!.

The food was brilliant I cannot remember the last time I had such a good meal, the mixture of clientele being new guests returning guests and locals is testament to what the staff work hard for and easily achieve.

Fantastic place, awesome food, brilliant staff. Without doubt The Punchbowl Inn will be a stop over on my way to lakeland forever more!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
macclesfield
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Punchbowl for 2 nights as part of a special offer, bed and breakfast with dinner on the first night, our room was spacious nicely decorated with free standing bath giving it the wow factor, staff at reception very friendly and efficient, had a few beers in the lovely relaxing bar area, evening meal was lovely had steak for the main course, but the starter let me tell you was the nicest thing i have ever put in my mouth, it was black pudding, bubble and squeak with a hens egg, have not stopped telling people about it since, it was quite expensive for a 2 night break but was good value considering the quality of our stay, we will be back very soon and would recommend this place to anybody

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

We have just come home after a great night in the punch bowl inn. We were made to feel extremely welcome by all staff members. On arriving we were treated to a cream tea in the bar, where are 2 year old boy was also included with a big glass of milk.

We opted for an evening meal. Dinner was fantastic!!! I would highly recommend the chocolate & banana mousse - delicious!

The bed was extremely comfortable & the bathroom had a deep free standing bath. Breakfast was equally as good as dinner.

We will be back in the future. Great place!!!

Stayed November 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crosthwaite
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Lakeside Hotel
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,264 reviews

Been to The Punch Bowl Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!