“Cerrito de la Virgen - A Spiritual Climb”

Cerrito de la Virgen
Bay Area
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Cerrito de la Virgen - A Spiritual Climb”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I have been to the Cerro de la Virgin many times. It's on the main highway to Guaymas, but 10 minutes out from Hermosillo, 20 minute roundtrip, minus how long you take to climb up stairs. I've never counted the stairs, but there are quite a few. An average person, I would say 5 minutes. It was quite warm so bring some water, but I would recommend for all age levels. I have seen people climb up on their knees as well.
But as you climb you will see flowers and plaques from people who have come to give offerings to the Virgin de Guadalupe for blessings asked for and received.

It is said a convict painted the image, that while he was in jail he prayed to the Virgin to save him from prison and if this occurred, he'd paint on a stone her image in the town of Hermosillo. So it was, and the tomb of former convict is at the foot of the painting in stone. I'm not sure how much of this is true and how much is legend, but I think someone by the name of William Jordan Enberg painted the image at the formerly known "Hill of Snakes," now known as the "Cerrito de la Virgin."

Visited September 2011