“Great Hotel in Hermosillo”
Review of Hotel Colonial

Hotel Colonial
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Hermosillo
Ames, Iowa
“Great Hotel in Hermosillo”
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Hotel Colonial is an excellent choice when staying at Hermosillo, Sonora. Being a little away from downtown is just an opportunity to get around in the nice city of Hermosillo. Warm attention from everybody at this hotel. You find comfort in an fresh environment. The restaurant just accross the rooms has very good meals. Try the "jugo verde" a very healthy juice.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Tripnena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pasadena, Ca.
Reviewed 31 August 2008

I had the pleasure to visit the Hotel Colonial in Hermissillo Mexico while playing bass in a band. We were in town for a big music festival. THe promoter made all the arrangements and he booked us in the Colonial.

Upon arrival I was impressed with the look of the facility. Very clean with a contemporary design. The rooms were of good size, clean with good cable selections on the TV. Free wireless access was a plus.

The restaurant had a buffet for breakfast and dinner. This may sound stupid, but if you want good Mexican food... go to Mexico. I stuffed myself on everything. The prices at the hotel seem to be more in line to American prices than Mexican. I paid 25 pesos for a can of beer ($2.50) . I went to the Wal-MArt and was able to buy a whole 6-pack for 25 pesos.

The pool was nice with lots of seating and a BBQ for grilling.

The area surrounding the hotel looks kind of seedy, but maybe that's just me. I was told not to walk to the store so I took a taxi that was parked at the front door.

No problems, would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank rock_botttom
Detroit
Reviewed 20 August 2008

I have stayed at the Hotel Colonial many times in the last two years. The staff is exceptional. Any help we need or anything we want, we ask and they deliver. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Fresh bottles of water is supplied daily or whenever asked for.
My last stay was 6 weeks and I had absolutely no trouble with anything at the hotel. The hotel has a very beuatiful pool area which is very relaxing. I also enjoyed no problems with the new wireless connections they provide.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Beds are very hard.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank billdev
PHOENIX
Reviewed 9 July 2008

I was in this hotel with my family when going to guadalajara city and we felt a great hotel, we pay only 78 dollars a night. It is indeed very beautiful and the people are very nice ... bed is a little hard but the decoration and facilities are first class, clean and fun pool, gym small but good, the Internet never fails.
exit to the south or the north is very fast, , the breakfast buffet is free !!... I recommend it widely hotel because we did not have any fault and it's very nice, beautiful and cheap.

Stayed July 2008
2 Thank JONNY65
tucson
Reviewed 19 June 2008

My family and I were driving to stay in san carlos mexico for last weekend, and decided we would stop in hermosillo the night before to be rested in the morning. I saw the reviews on "the colonial" and believed them. Yikes! The staff was very nice when we got there, i will give them that. We paid 114 dollars, as this was supposed to be "luxury" ...yikes. you can find more luxury in a 25 dollar motel 6. The beds? HARD AS ROCKS. Seriously. It's an old mattress (s) stuck on a wooden plyboard! The room smelled pretty bad, there were stains on the carpets, and you had to put your key in a device to turn the lights on. not only that, but all the lights came on! you couldn't just close a few, the lights are on the roof of the room , so it either had to be pitch black or blazing light...very agitating.

The decoration of the room was ok, the bathroom was ok...but of course we woke up in the morning and the water wasnt running. I went outside and looked at the pool an it was nasty. the "breakfast buffet" was supposed to start at 6Am, it was 645 am and all they had was juice...so we left.

The people are very nice there. No drama in the night. But, oh my god, your back will kill you the next day. Their beds are STONES.
I walked into a vacant room and touched the bed. Same thing. They need to buy some matresses and boxsprings that are not from 1951. This is an honest review...I have never written one before, but feel compelled to warn others...don't say i didn't warn you.

• Liked — leaving in the morning
  • Disliked — the beds were like sleeping on the street, only less comfortable
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank ontheroadagainTucson
tucson az
Reviewed 13 May 2007

(Repeating info from another review) People expect because they are in Mexico that all things will be less expensive. In Hermosillo this is not the case. HMO is a booming, prosperous industrial and business center for Sonora, as well as the state capital. Hotels cost pretty much the same here as an equivalent hotel in a large US city. One tip I would provide about most Mexican hotels is that the beds are very firm; the mattress is often on a wooden platform with no box spring; that has been my experience everywhere in Mexico except in upscale hotels in Mexico City.

My rate at the Colonial was $82 US including taxes. A billboard offered a special rate of 876 pesos ($82) when mentioning the specific promotion code B1. The normal rate is 1166 pesos ($109). The room was well equipped, very clean and comfortable. There was no wireless Internet, but there was a high speed wired Internet connection which worked great.

The staff was bilingual. The hotel is located in the "government zone" on Rio Sonora which is just south of the city center. There are restaurants nearby as well as in the hotel. A hot breakfast ordered from the menu was included in the rate, and was quite good. This is probably the "third best" hotel in HMO after the Fiesta Americana and Araiza Inn. I have stayed in several hotels in HMO. The only negative thing I would mention about the hotel is that it is built like a motel with outside entrances to the rooms. Otherwise it is very modern and well-equipped. The pool are is in a very pleasant courtyard.

• Liked — comfort and amenities of room
  • Disliked — motel layout though hotel was circled by wall and had security
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
6 Thank Bob B
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 16 February 2007

A friend who lives in Hermosillo made my original reservation, for one night, a Thursday. I stayed there one additional night, 10 days later, or so, a Sunday night. The hotel had a lot of vacancy. It was January, after all. I was put in a third floor room the first night, and did not realize there was no elevator until I was already down to the room. I have no idea why they didn't give me a ground level room. The second night they did. The rooms were identical. The first one on Thursday was $110 and the second one on Sunday was $80. I guess weird American pricing for business people has found its way to Hermosillo already.

Anyway, I recommend this hotel. There is a taxi stand outside the front office, as well as a nice place for breakfast, which was included in the rate.

Very clean, nice grounds, fairly centrally located; certainly near many of the government buildings.

• Liked — Clean, spacious room, location
  • Disliked — Fluctuation in price
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo