“I Did Not Stay Here, but”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Penasco
El Mirador Village Hotel
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
Tucson, Arizona
“I Did Not Stay Here, but”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

I was interested in staying at El Mirador because the price was good for an ocean view room in Rocky Point. Their website lists rooms with a pool view, ocean view and a combination view. I tried to book an ocean view room on line and noticed that it was not a secure website so I called the hotel. I was told that the hotel does not have any ocean view rooms at all just pool view rooms. The website, which is dated 2007, is being updated I was told and the information on it was not correct. I was also told that the on-line reservations system they have does not work.

The address on the TripAdvisor page is incorrect. That address, the numbers and street that is, belong to someone in Mesa, Arizona who is listed as a contact person for the hotel if you click on the "contact us" link. The correct address in Rocky Point is 140 B Matamoros,

I asked if the person I was speaking with was at the hotel, and he said he was. I asked if the number for the hotel was a 24 hour number to reach the hotel and was told that someone is there only until 9PM. I asked I could be emailed directions to the hotel or a map and was told no.

I read the hotel rules posted on their website, and some of them seemed a bit odd for a hotel. If you make you reservation less than 35 days in advance you must pay in full but if it more than 35 days in advance you only pay for the first night in advance but 30 days prior to your arrival your credit card will be charged for the remaining days, if you cancel your reservation there is a $50 charge, there is a security/damage deposit of $50.

Now with all this in mind, I decided to stay elsewhere.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ira S

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have been going to El Mirador for nearly 15 years. To give a little background on the property, it used to be a trailer court where the trailers were in the worst condition possible. If they had A/C and it worked, you were lucky. There are some original rooms in the permanent structures located closest to the office. We learned early on to always bring ear plugs as you never knew when the noise outside would permeate the walls.

Why, you may ask, would we have drug our three daughters to this hotel? It was inexpensive! We could leave Phoenix, drive 3 1/2- 4 hours and spend the weekend at the beach for an affordable price on our extremely limited budget. My girls (now in their mid- to- late 20s) still wax nostalically about their times at El Mirador.

The current facility is MUCH better than the old trailers, but perhaps some of the charm is missing! We continue to select El Mirador over the big resorts, not out of financial necessity anymore, but simply for the fact that we want a more "Mexico" experience. If we want big resorts, we can stay in Phoenix. Also it's a great bang for your buck; thus, my ratings on the place.

One reason for the wristbands, I suspect, is because, in the old days, people would cram as many people as possible into the trailers. The wristbands are one solution to make certain that you belong there.

Now that we are grandparents, we will continue the tradition of taking the kids and grandkids to Puerto Penasco and staying at El Mirador.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank carolinarico
Cardiff by the Sea California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

El Mirador Hotel

Not bad for the money. Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) has many beautiful resorts (with high prices to match) and has some cheap run down joints that are not scenic, clean or desirable to an American tourist. Hotel Mirador provides a decent place at a decent price. Lots of good points and a few short comings:
The Good:
The hotel is immediately right on the beach. Outside they have community BBQ grills, picnic tables, a palapa for shade, and a modest swimming pool. El Mirador appears to be only about 5 years old and is maintained better than most properties. The grounds are kept clean (no graffiti, no cigarette butts, no trash). The room itself is nothing fancy, modest, but clean with ok beds, towels, soaps, tiny TV, little refrigerator and plumbing that worked well. (Commenting on bath plumbing my seem odd but I have had many inexpensive Mexico hotels where the bathroom didn’t appear clean enough, or water pressure in shower was low, or shower temperature varied from burn you hot to cold, or toilet was lame, this place had none of those issues). This hotel is within walking distance of a few non-upscale bars and restaurants which was interesting to me but they were certainly nothing special. I had the opportunity to meet the owner who is a very nice mature dude from Phoenix. He takes interest in keeping the place maintained and very much cares for both the property and guests.
The not so great:
This is a 4-story hotel with one slow elevator. I ended up on top floor but really didn’t mind as I called it exercise running to the car and back. Some would find this a problem. The walls between rooms allow sound to travel so if you have neighbors who are anything less than very quite they will disturb you. It is hard to tell who the real clientele are here. I saw friendly families of Mexican nationals, I saw people from Phoenix who were there to party hard, young people, old people, nice people, odd people but there certainly didn’t seem to be a consistent demographic of those you would be sharing the your temporary home with. There was an older Mexican couple at the front desk when I checked in (not the owners) who were not mean but certainly not nice either. They were just going through the process and did nothing to welcome me other than execute and hand me a key. The immediate neighborhood includes a number of trailer parks. The area in general seems neither terrible or great (both of which you can find in other parts of town).
Overall:
Not a mistake to check into El Mirador. This is clean place, on the beach, nice owner all at a reasonable price. You get all that you pay for, yet it falls short of a caliber of property that my wife or more well to do friends might expect. I will be back and happy with Hotel Mirador, but only when the budget and expectations of who I am traveling with is appropriate to this neighborhood and class of property.

Room Tip: 4 story hotel with slow elevator. Higher level is good for view, lower level easier to access. Built...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank ElGuapo49
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

AC is good, rooms are clean.. BUT if you plan on heading to the beach, FORGET IT! HORRIBLE! Worst my family and I have ever seen! Pool closes at 9:30pm everyday. Even at a city hotel they close at 10 or 11 weekends. Service is the worst! The "manager" was the rudest ever! Does not even welcome you or thank you. Maintenance man was rude and mean! Yelled at some kids who were just having fun. He is lucky they were not OUR kids! TV gets NO cable or even regular channels. Stairs smell. Elevator is worst condition ever! No one seems to care. Unless you are there to be drunk the whole time, it is not the place to be! I prefer paying more but being treated well and appreciated. Considering I have a choice of where we stay. Beach should be cleaned up with all the horrible rocks!!! A little attention to customers and making them feel welcomed always helps. Cleaning crew were very nice and helpful! Those ladies are the only possotive thing I have to talk about. They work hard and assist everyone how ever they can.

Room Tip: First and second floor are great. Pool is BEAUTIFUL and great size, Only thing it closes to early fo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Irma A

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Penasco hotels

Glendale, AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

What I liked about this hotel: Great price, good location, right on the beach, very clean, cold ac, modern,nice clean pool. Now the down side. We were on the fourth floor. They turned the elevator off after the cleaning staff went home. It was the slowest elevator I have every been on. No ac in it. We just walked up and down to avoid it even when it was on. The last day there, as we were checking out, we decided to use it because of luggage. It became stuck between floors. There is a buzzer but no telephone in it. We kept hitting the buzzer and after a few minutes they came and let us out. They want you to wear a wrist band the whole time you are staying in the hotel. Like they band they put on you at the hospital that only goes on once. We were not going to wear a band the whole weekend and took them off. There was no problem with that. On Saturday night of Labor Day weekend the music from a nearby bar kept us awake. The biggest concern I had was that the stairs are in the middle of the hotel. We were staying in a room on the end. If there had been a fire in a room between us and the stairs there was no other way to get down.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends