We drove down on Friday night from Phoenix, we actually crossed the border to Puerto Penasco in the dark. The road is brillant between the border and Rocky Point. There are excellent paved roads, bright working reflectors, working call boxes and excellent signage. There is allot of hype around the previous shoot out that happened with the cartel. Certainly, no body should be a mindless American, you have to pay attention to their laws not speed, run stop signs, etc as you have to answer to the Mexican authorities. I felt very safe. Regarding the conversation of crime, you would be exposed to the same level of crime in Phoenix, Mesa, South Central LA, the Bronx, should I go on .... Do not drive in Mexico with out the correct Mexican insurance, a $64.00 investment for the weekend is not worth cutting corners as it could mean a possible jail hold for being cheap and careless.
When, we arrived into the Sandy Beach area at th Sonoran Spa, it is a busy section of the town. There is not a big light up sign in front of the hotel, so at night it is easy to miss. A guard at the Sonoran Sky redirected us. The Sonoran Spa security guard was quick and efficient. The parking is free and the have guards posted every where.
The majority of rooms are owned by private owners, so there is constitnecy on style and floor plans, but upkeep can vary. Overall, it has a great, clean and classy feel. I was in a two bedroom on the ocean which is worth the investment. The ocean front is almost pristine, the beach is clean and the water a clear blue on the sea of Cortez. The one possible design flaw on the one bedroom rooms is that the bedroom faces is next to the front door and the noise from foot trafficc can be an issue at times. I had a chance to see one of the 3 bedroom suites with a large patio, would be great for parties
In the rooms, the AC was great, water pressure in the showers was strong and temparture appropriate. Most rooms have some type of WIF and Sat-TV. Most have kitchen set-ups so you would never have to dine out if you didn't want to.
I used the gym twice, I thought it impressive, it was better than some American chains. I did not use any of the Spa service, but was told by others that they do a very professional job. I did not dine at the restaurant, but other reviewers have ranted. There is Bar grill know as the HUT, out side the front of the hotel that got rave recommendations from others. The pools are great, there is a guard on duty so what little vendors that stoll the beach do not bother you.
The distance to the old port area is about a 15 minute drive, it is not walkable and I did not see any local Mexican public transit. The area enough bike, sandy buggy, ATV, rentals in the area the one could get around. The majortiy of Puerto Penascains are hard-working, tourist friendly, honest folk. They want tourist to return. Your selection of dining is varied, I would recommend the seafood. I brought home 20lbs of Shrimp, as it has a sweet taste.
The old port area is a typical area with the typical Mexican tourist goods, fun for a stroll. I was there for about 36 hours, but I am planning to return. The 4-5 hour drive from Phoenix is easy, Rocky point is inviting and there is allot of things to do. I would recommend the Sonoran Spa to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonoran Spa Resort - 202 Condos on Sandy Beach - Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point Mexico) - One, Two & Three Bedrooms - Less 4 Hours From Phoenix, Tucson & Yuma - Full Service Spa - On-Site Restaurant - Tennis Courts - Three Swimming Pools (One Heated) - Jacuzzis - BBQ Grills - Exercise Room - In Room Phones - No Spring Breakers Please ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers and Hotels.com so you can book your Sonoran Spa Resort Rocky Point reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonoran Spa Resort At Sandy Beach Hotel Puerto Penasco
- Sonoran Hotel Puerto Peñasco
- Sonoran Resort Puerto Peñasco
- Sonoran Spa Puerto Penasco
- Sonoran Spa Resort Rocky Point Puerto Penasco, Mexico - Sonora