Mayan Palace
Penasco Del Sol Hotel(Puerto Penasco)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$93
US$94
US$40
Average 3/5
Las Palomas Beach & Golf Resort(Puerto Penasco)
  • Pool
Sonoran Spa Resort(Puerto Penasco)
  • Pool
Playa Bonita Hotel(Puerto Penasco)
Good 3.5/5
Casa Blanca Golf Villas(Puerto Penasco)
  • Beachfront
Laguna Shores Resort(Puerto Penasco)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsindoor pooltimeshare presentationgolf courselazy riverin townbakal restauranttime share presentationocean viewsea lionspool restaurantrocky pointmeal plangrand blissunder constructionbird islandmeal couponsmexican fiesta
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Stayed here with family in February. The hotel is nicely laid out and the rooms were spacious and well equipped. the grounds are very attractive. The pool looked inviting but it was far too cold to swim. the indoor pool was less attractive but available. The gym is dated with old equipment and there is an outrageous fee to use it. The pool table in the bar is dated and there is a fee to use it. The internet is available but there is an outrageous fee to use it. The drinks and food available at the bars and restaurants were outrageously expensive. There is a lot of empty beach to walk on, the sea was far too cold to swim. The staff were great and worked very hard to make you comfortable - but there's nothing there! So we would drive in to the little town daily. Services there are still limited and there is not much to see/do if you dont like ATVing which appears to be the big draw. The shrimp that the town is famous for are amazing and fishing boats for hire relatively inexpensive. Puerto Penasco - not really that interesting. Mayan Palace - presumptious and overpriced and definitely not worth returning to.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank anchoman1
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I stayed at the Mayan Palace in the summer of 2011 and it was great!! The hotel lobby is beautiful!! It's really cozy and welcoming. The decor and the colors blend together well. I stayed in a 1-bedroom suite--it was very spacious and comfortable. It had a full-functioning kitchen with a stove and refrigerator, plus necessary utensils. The living room was quite spacious and comfy with a flat-screen tv. The bedroom and adjoining bathroom were just as spacious as well--with a big closet in the bedroom as well as right outside the bathroom. The grounds are very nice, with an outdoor and indoor pool! What I absolutely loved was that the beach (area) is private!! The only people there are people from the Mayan Palace--so it's very safe as well as private. I will definitely stay here again!! Even though it's a slight distance from town, it's worth it because of the privacy.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Angelica015
Reviewed 10 May 2012

In late April I stayed at the Mayan Palace resort in Puerto Penasco Mexico. I have previously stayed at this resort (May 2007) and had my reservations. I found a deal online and thought I would give it a try again. Heck it has been 5 years, things must have gotten better. WRONG!

FIrst off, the original resort has been done for years and they are building the new addition. Unfortunately, they are no further along then they were in 2007. Restaurants/bars are expensive ($6 for a beer) and the facilities are looking dated. The beach, once clean and pristine, was covered with seaweed and shells. I could not walk to the ocean without shoes.

For those outside of driving distance I must tell you it is difficult to get to. The resort is 200 miles from Phoenix Az (50 mile drive into Mexico once across the border). If flying into Phx, plan on renting a car. I have heard a shuttle is offered, but where it drops you off is a gamble. The resort is outside of town and is at least a 40 minute drive. This is time is now increased by the meandering entrance road that purposely takes you past all of their on going projects.

Timeshare presentation: SKIP IT. I like to go on them for a few freebies and to learn a little more about the resort, but 90 minutes = 3 hours to them. Everyone is your buddy until you decide not to buy. Don't be fooled by the MEMBERS UPDATE TOUR they offer, it is still a timeshare pitch.

Did I enjoy my stay? Yes. Were the rooms clean and comfortable? Yes. Would I go again? Yes, but with a much lower expectation level. It is a nice place, but don't expect anything to get done in a hurry. They say it will be finished in July of 2013. I guess we will see.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank toekneem
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I booked and prepaid 7 nights through a Living Social offer. A good deal at 50% off.
I read all the reviews about the resort and so was prepared for anything and everything.
Check-in went very smoothly and was even offered a room with a view of the Sea. We had to wait
for the room to be ready and we went and got lunch at the poolside grill. Expensive! 1 drink, 1 crayfish taco and 1 club sandwich was $38. But food was tasty and service good. Note: Resturant is not open for lunch. Then we went and sat in the lobby. We were approached by timeshare personnel and we just said we were not interested in presentation or offers and they said OK and left us alone.
Our room was very nice. Bellboy luggage service was great. We had a lot of boxes since we had brought food and drinks for the 7 days stay.
So now its about 3 pm and what to do. We went down to the pool, but water was too cold to enjoy so we went to the inside heated pool. Pool was also too cold to enjoy.
So now what. We walked around the resort and to the beach. Nice walk. Took pictures to send
to friends so they could be envious of how pretty everything is.
There was a cold strong wind and even though sun was shining, it was too cold to sit out by the pool.
So went back to the room to watch TV. Not.
We don't speak spanish so were limited to about 3 English stations. Read our books.
Our bed was OK, not as hard as I had thought it would be. It already had an eggshell cover on it.
Next day we drove the 30 minutes into town. We drove all around and walked the Malacon and had a great lunch for $12 for the two of us.
On the way back to the resort we checked out the golf course. Very nice looking, but we don't golf.
Water and wind still too cold. TV still in spanish.
Read our book so more.
The next day was a repeat of this day. Except we did go to dinner at the resturant. Nice atmosphere. For what was offered, the buffet was too expensive - almost $40. We ordered from the menu and our dinner for two was about $50 and very good.
Too be fair, we did not participate in any of the offered activities at the resort.
But the next day after being there for 2 1/2 days we went home.
Actually we drove to the casino in Phoenix for a little action and things to do.

Had it been warm enough that we could have hung around the pool we would have stayed longer. I thought that the first of May would be warmer, but it was not.

Overall the resort is very nice. Rooms were nice. Service was great. Food was good, if expensive. If you played golf it would be perfect.

Again, to be fair - we live in Las Vegas and I guess that we are used to more activities and the enforced quiet time was not as much fun as I thought it would be.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bob w
Reviewed 7 May 2012

You seriously left your phone in the car and expected nothing to happen. You are an idiot. Where in the US would any proprietor claim responsibility for your oversight? You seriously stayed up until 2 am for a cell phone. Congratulations, you ruined your own vacation by worrying about a cell phone. A CELL PHONE. It would be wise to refrain from making such blanket statements as "they're all thieves". Are all people from California ignorant and entitled whiners? I've traveled to Mexico many times and to the Mayan Palace at Puerto Penasco quite often and all trips have been lovely and without incident. Guess what? When you treat people with respect and kindness, they typically return the courtesy.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple