Ok, let's first address the safety and security of traveling to Mexico, especially driving into the country. It's a legitimate concern and risk. However, of the few stories I've heard of, none involved American civilians traveling to Mexico.
That being said, if this resort had 1) much less expensive food at the restaurants, 2) water slides and/or a lazy river--they've been saying for at least 5 years that they'd have a lazy river, yet still no lazy river, and 3) more activities for kids, then I would visit this resort at least 4 times each year.
This has been our 3rd stay in as many years as we make our 5-hour trip from the Phoenix area. Remember, it takes an extra 20 minutes or so to get to the Mayan Palace versus the Sandy Beach hotels. You are isolated without quick access to restaurants off the resort premises. As a result, you pay top dollar for the restaurant buffet and pool food. The food is average. But being isolated isn't a bad thing, right?
The staff is so helpful, humble, and friendly. My car didn't start as we were checking out and of the valets got under the hood and helped us start the car by banging the starter with a wrench. The maid service cleans daily. At most time shares, you usually get just a mid-week cleaning.
The pool is large and great for kids. The one-inch tiles have been breaking off since I've been coming and eventually they will need to shut down the pool and fix it. But there are plenty of umbrellas to enjoy shade.
The beach is the cleanest beach I've been on. The water is so warm during the warm months.
The room beds aren't very soft. I prefer sleeping on the softer couches. The rooms are spacious. The floors are entirely laid with travertine stone. The A/C always works fine.
The workout gym is located above the spa and has plenty of weight stations and treadmills. My wife and I are usually the only people there. And it over looks the Sea of Cortez.
If you are ok for spending a week on just relaxing and enjoying water then this is a great resort. I was able to get this as a Getaway through Interval Internationl. Soooo cheap.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Mayan Puerto Penasco is an awe-inspiring vacation for guests of all ages. This desert oasis of relaxation and wonder offers a truly unique getaway, with its world-renowned golf course, luxurious outdoor pools, Jacuzzis, fire pits, and stunning surrounding scenery. As soon as you enter The Grand Mayan Puerto Penasco, you’ll leave the rest of the world – and all of your cares – behind. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Mayan Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mayan Palace Puerto Penasco Hotel Puerto Penasco
- Wyndham Puerto Peñasco
- Mayan Palace Penasco
- Puerto Peñasco Wyndham
- Mayan Resort Puerto Penasco Mexico
- Mayan Palace Puerto Penasco, Mexico - Sonora