“A bit of a disappointment for what you pay for” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mayan Palace

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Penasco
Mayan Palace
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
Moreno Valley, California
“A bit of a disappointment for what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

With somewhat of a surprise, this large, isolated resort turns out to be about 20 miles east of Puerto Penasco (The TripAdvisor locator map is way off, as usual for this community) and 5 mi off the main highway going east to Caborca.

Although the approach to Mayan Palace is impressive looking, there are many indications of lack of cleaning and maintenance in the corridors and various rooms once you are in the hotel. If you are not too picky and bring a lot of ready-to-eat meals and beverages for the room, you will be OK. Check your room immediately on arrival for toilet paper, towels, clean linen, functioning heat and A/C, etc. I found the hotel was not serving many of the items on the dining menu when I was there. Generally, it was a bit of a disappointment for what you pay for and was not typical of other Mayan Palace resorts.

On the upside, they have done well on their pool and waterfront amenities and the beach is fantastic. You can spot Penasco miles off to the west. Sunsets are usually spectacular. The staff is generally friendly but they often hit a brick wall when they ask their executive superiors for help on your behalf. Bottom line: I think this is a good spot for families but not for singles or couples who might be happier in town.

Room Tip: The best sunsets are on the east wing, far from the central core and of course, with ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank MonkeyOnTheWing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

We are Mayan Palace owners, and have stayed here at this property several times. I am going to address some of the things that some people have said that have not been good about this property, having stayed here several times, and knowing the property well.

First, yes...it is NOT as fancy as the other Mayan Palace properties, and they know that. They seem to always be working on the property every time we are there, and there are promises to make it better looking with each visit. They are also adding a "luxury" addition to the property, that should help in the looks department. However, the beach is LOVELY, the pool is nice, and the staff is wonderful and helpful.

Second, yes, as owners we are aware of the small kitchens, and so we always bring a crock pot or an electric skillet or roaster, and seriously I have cooked an entire turkey dinner in that little kitchen during one of our stays! You just come prepared and you will be fine!! Bring a couple of ice chests too, the fridge is small for leftovers. Also, people who complain about the utensils make me laugh try plastic forks and paper plates...who wants to do dishes on vacay anyways!!!??? Folks who want to complain are going to find reasons, but honestly, a small kitchen and no utensils...sheesh!

The beds are rock solid, which I love. If you don't like that, you can ask for some egg shell mattress covers/softeners and they usually have some. The pull outs are super comfy and my kids love them. We usually either do the one bedroom, or upgrade to the two, and have had as many as 10 people no prob in the two bed room. You are not there to hang out in the room are you??

As for how far it is from the town, and the roads. Yes, the town is about 15 miles away. NO it's not dirt road the entire way. The last mile or two after you turn off the highway into the property is dirt, and they are working on paving it. But the main highway all the way out to the property is paved, and like all Mexican highways, there are going to be bumps. Average drivers can get town in about 20-35 minutes. Unless you drive like my aunt Agnes. Again, if you want to go be involved with the nightlife of Rocky Point and drink and party "in town" every night, this is probably not your resort...YOU WILL HAVE TO TRAVEL. BUT...if you want to basically have a pristine beach virtually to yourself, with no one there trying to sell you kitzch, then this is your resort. They don't even try to force you to buy their drinks or food too much near the pool! And if you bring your own drink to the pool (in a plastic cup), no prob...how many resorts let you do that??

Spa is amazing and if you do take their tour, they give you a voucher for a discount. We get our massages for $40.00 plus tip. love it!! Golf discounts are also available. Indoor pool is nice as well for when the winter winds pick up and it's chilly.

Even if you have a problem with the room, which we did once, they are quick to fix it. They worked on it steady and got it fixed quick. We had a microwave issue as well, and they got that fixed too. Accidents happen...in the USA and in Mexico...so acting like a broken A/C is the end of the world is a little silly. GO OUT ON THE BEACH PEOPLE...OPEN THE SLIDERS and get some fresh air!!! the weather is usually beautiful every evening, and the breeze off of the ocean is amazing. I have been there in the heat of summer and the cool of winter. There is not a bad time to go.

Can you tell .... I love love love this place. It's family friendly, staff is excellent, drive is easy, nothing to worry about with the whole "be afraid of Mexico" never felt safer...honestly, I was more worried during a vacation in parts of California than I have been when I am here!!

Just go...you will not regret it.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the beach further away from the elevators, towards the end of the units. that...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank TravlingAZGirl
Eagle Mountain, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

The Mayan Palace in Puerto Penasco is truly amazing! I went there with my family for a couple of weeks and everything was fantastic. Things to our hotel greeting when we arrived, to our bedroom was the best experience.

The service from the hotel maids were fantastic, they would clean the entire room spotless, and make little towel decorations such as a swan in the bathroom. Even outside, they have people walking around to cater your wants, such as for example, I was sun bathing by the pool and a hotel worker approaches me asking if I would like anything to drink. Things like that, where you don’t have to ask, is something different. They have amazing restaurants, along with little merchandise stores that you can paint your own vase or you can go see a movie in their hotel theater.

Since this hotel is right by the beach, it has an amazing view of the sunset and sunrise. Since the beach is so huge, it’s a great place to go for a morning jog or a nice walk on the beach without running into anyone.
I would love to go back, and stay their longer than I did last time! That is why I would rate this 5 out of 5.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Micah W
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Arrived at the Mayan Palace at 4:00 PM, check in was a breeze.
Now comes the not so fun part- When we arrived at our room, there were two maintenance men conducting repairs to the kitchen sink. Tools, rags, parts were all over the kitchen; the room was hot and dirty (dirt on the floor, under the TV stand and the coctail table needs wiping). They stated that repairs will be done in half an hour, one and a half hours later, the sink was not repaired. Well, after the maint men left, I called the front desk to get our room in order and to fix the AC. Housekeeping (Barbara) was very polite, she left the room spotless. The AC mechanics tried to fix the AC to no avail. I called to front desk again to see if we can move to another room, she stated that the hotel was fully booked and they will send the AC techs again. Meanwhile we were sweating our butts off, i demanded to speak to the Manager, conversely, the receptionist said that he left for the evening and that she will call us back. After numerous calls, the front desk mentioned that there were three small rooms available for us and that we will be moved to a suite that we paid for the following day. FULLY BOOKED?? Finally settled to a smaller room at 11; 00 PM. Next day after lunch, I spoke to the receptionist with regards to moving to 1BR suite, finally moved in at 2:00 PM. Room was clean, nonetheless, there were cockroaches, bugs and lots of mosquitoes. At least the AC was working, vacation finally started 24 hours after checking in.
On a positive note, the staff: Waiters, Housekeepers, Bell Service, Valet Parking Attendants were superb, customer service was top notch. The beach front was almost a quarter mile during low tide, nice place to walk and watch the sunset. Swimming pool was clean and the water was warm. Fitness center was closed for renovation.
The town was actually a good 35 minutes drive from the Mayan Palace, not much happening there. Golf, the Peninsula, - green fees $190.00 for 18 holes. Overall, this resort is a 3 Star.

Room Tip: Ask for pool/ocean view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 1SunandFun1
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

Excellent place to vacation time but service was not what I expect. The sells team of time share took 5 hours of our time which I consider a waste of time. The front desk people were no help or kind. Never the less it was really nice vacations.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank NohemiMacias
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We enjoyed our vacation in Puerto Penasco. Mayan Palace is a place just to relax on the beach or by the pool. This place needs a renovation; however, the staff is amazing and the service is very personal, attentive, and professional - the front desk supervisor/manager remembered our names a week later when we check-out, our housekeeping lady delighted us with flowers or extra towels every single day, the servers by the pool anticipated our needs, and of course, the service in the gift shop always ready to please us -. The cooks/chefs need to remember that they are part of the front-of-the-house, so they need to be more approachable and interact with the guests specially when they do the cook-out by the beach!.

On the other hand, I was very disappointed with a few things:
1) Internet. It keep dropping all day long and the hotel cannot do anything because it is operated by a third party based in Puerto Vallarta
2) Exercise Room. It should be an amenity and not charge to get it - nick and dime.
3) Kitchen in our suite. That was a joke!!!. The comment from "RetiredFred49" made a perfect description/comment.

Definitely, I would go back to the Mayan Palace because of the staff. They made a difference!!!.

Room Tip: Suites from tower 2 are quieter!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Mesa, Arizona, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I do not know where to start. the hotel is dated. do not do the time share presentation. it is the worst experience of my life. I have done 20-30 of them. I own 3 timeshares. i literally was thrown out because I said no. no ride back to the hotel. they just would not accept no for an answer. you are 45 minutes from town, not 20. you are locked in with few options. the main dining room is always a buffet, which is theme nite at about$ 25.00. the pool side is your best bet. the ceasar saled with 5 shrimp is great just$ 12.00. . room service was good. if you want great food go to the golf course. awesome shrimp tacos. open 7.30 to 4.30. I will not return. it is not a 5, maybe a three. stay in town to have fun and options. plaza las glorias, pueblo bonita are good choices. the staff was awesome. too bad the hotel is not. I do not know what highway the other reviews took, but as I stated it is 45 minutes to town, that is where all the fun is. be aware.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view. there are some rooms on the back side and you can enjoy the parking lot or th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple