Mayan Palace Puerto Penasco
US$312
  • Pool
Playa Bonita Hotel(Puerto Penasco)
US$132
Penasco Del Sol Hotel(Puerto Penasco)(Great Value!)
US$161
Hotels.com
Hotel Senorial(Puerto Penasco)
US$35
  • Pool
Laguna Shores Resort(Puerto Penasco)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
All reviewsindoor pooltimeshare presentationgolf courselazy riverin townbakal restauranttime share presentationocean viewsea lionspool restaurantrocky pointmeal plangrand blissunder constructionbird islandmeal couponsmexican fiesta
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have been here 5 times now and it is great. The staff is amazing! The pools are wonderful. If you are not taking kids it is best to go when kids are is school. It gets a little crazy with fifty kids screaming. Still had a great time

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank locito
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

great place to stay. Good service. Restaurant is a little pricy but good food. Food is cheaper in town. Rooms very clean but need some upgrades. 26 miles to town and Mayan has a 5 mile entrance road. Lobby and entrance area very nice

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank MickD154
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The resort is right on a beautiful beach with incredible sunsets and fine sand, just right for building sandcastles for the kids. I have never seen so many unusual seashells.

Couples taking a retreat from their hectic jobs, people from cold Northern states enjoying the warmth in a paradise setting, and families enjoying a safe vacation with lots of activities for their kids were really loving the Mayan.

The Mayan palace for me was not as enjoyable since I don't fit into the above categories. (My problem, not the Mayan Palaces's problem.) I am retired and now live in sunny Phoenix and enjoy vacationing in a location where I can sight see and not feel isolated. I had been to the Mayan in Cancun and there I could explore the area, but this property was 20 miles from anything else.
The problem was that this property was 24 miles from Puerto Penasco, of which 10 miles had lots of potholes, which were unkind to my little sedan. The distance from the city and the poor condition of the road meant that we only went into town twice in the 7 days that we were there. We had wanted to enjoy the city restaurants for variety, rather than the hotel restaurants all of the time. We had driven from Arizona, so limited what we brought in for food, since we feared that much of our food would not be allowed in per the internet precautions. They had a small store at the Mayan, but almost nothing to cook. Had we known about the on site store being void of food to cook, we would have stopped at Sam's Club or the large grocery store on our way in for the week. (In the past, we have shopped at many campground stores and found plenty of food items, but the store is intentionally limiting what they carry to force people to eat at their restaurants. Our 2 bedroom unit had a half size frig and no oven, so that also limited what we could cook.

Another problem that I had was that my books which I had tucked into a bag to bring, were accidentally left at home. The onsite store had one English book and another in Spanish to purchase and no magazines. I asked the front desk if there was a lending library and was told no. A couple of days later, I found out that the activity center had a small box of paper backs and magazines that were left over when people left, so I ended up having reading material.
I enjoyed the water aerobics with Nacho, the covered pool, and the gym.

I came with 3 other retired women and they really did like laying around the pool and reading all day so they loved the Mayan Resort atmosphere.Their only complaint was being forced to buy all meals in the restaurants.
All of the staff from the front desk to the housekeepers, to the gardeners were so very kind and helpful and made our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean, the view is incredible. I would have preferred a room in Phase 1 buildings since they are constructing Phase 2 buildings. There was construction noise during the day which consisted mostly of trucks going in and out, but still there was building taking place.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mary I
Reviewed 3 June 2014

At Mayan Palace in Puerto Penasco, Rocky Point in English, breakfast is the best part of the day. A Mexican breakfast is more than omelets and pancakes. First there is a wide selection of fruits -- fresh and juicy.Then come the Mexican dishes -- beef, pork, and chicken in their delicious spicy or not so spicy sauces. They are different every day. There are vegetable casseroles and chilaquiles. If there is still room, a iarge selection of sweet breads and jams await you. Of course you can get any kind of eggs you want, bacon to order, pancakes and waffles with syrup. To make it even better are the friendly waiters, Arturo Rivera, Martin Sereno, and Benito Lara. They greet you my name, make sure your coffee cup is full and hot, and take time to get to know you.
The beach here is one of the greatest as well. It is wide, white, and full of shells. The tides are huge. At low tide you walk out half a mile and only have water up to your knee. At high tide there are gentle waves to lift you up and down as you stand on tip toes. Full moon is the best time to go for the highest tides.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KarlandRita
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Mayan Palace many times, most recently in May. Francisco and Nacho were fantastic as always and so was Jose the server from the restaurant. We had a great time very relaxing laying around the pool and walking at the beach. However the prices at the restaurants had such a jump we were shocked. For example last October that we were there the hamburger was 10 dollars it jumped to 15 dollars in 6 months. Next time we will do all our own cooking. We had some problems with our safe witch it took them 5 hours to fix. It does not bother us that it is far from town we actually like the peace and quite. The construction is very behind and we wish they would pave all the road and parking lot. Again I can not speak highly enough about Francisco and Nacho from the activities department. Richard from Eco Fun however is very rude and uncooperative. During a trip to bird island one of the man on the boat ruined my camera by placing it in water, he admitted this however Richard wound not replace any of the 400 hundred dollar value. I went around and around with this matter including complaining with the Mayan costumer service department and nothing has been resolved. Please be aware of this trip. The island is great to see but everything else sucks including the cold meat sandwich and water down margaritas they give you for the price of the trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple