“Hotel great , food so,so”

Penasco Del Sol Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
San Diego
“Hotel great , food so,so”
Reviewed 2 August 2008

when we stayed the hotel was great, the staff very friendy, the only thing was the food, I went with 2 toodlers, so the breakfact was ok, I cound find something so they could eat, but at dinner, the food is very sofisticated and spicy, so there was no much I could choose from for them, they should have like a kids menu, with food a toddler o kid could it.

And the other thing my room safe did not work, they told us that it was working for sometime, so they gave me a safe in the front desk, but I lost the key and I have to pay a locksmith to come to the hotel and open it and it was very expensive, the hotel should have a master key for things like this, so the customer should not have to pay for it. or have all the room safe fix.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the food
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank ChichiSanDiego

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Phoenix, az
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We just returned from the Penasco Del Sol Hotel in Rocky Point, Mexico. I traveled with my husband and two children ages 6 and 18 months. After reading rave reviews about this hotel, we threw caution to the wind and decided to book 5 nights.

We arrived late on Friday night and found a very active nighttime scene at both the pool and the lobby bar. Had I been alone with my husband, it would have been a good time.

We assumed that there would be things for our kids to do, but this hotel was definitely for the younger, single age group. The rooms
were very nice, but almost dangerous for small children. My 18 month old slipped on the marble floor and fell into a chest of drawers. She was fine, but had quite a gash on her forehead.

We had a nice breakfast buffet in the restaurant, but we were very disappointed in the beach. After quite a hike to get past the rock wall, we were barraged by local people camped out trying to sell us their wares. At first it didn't bother me, but after a couple of hours at the beach, the tide started to roll in and there was no available space left on the beach to even sit down. Very annoying. When you looked down you could not miss huge pieces of broken glass everywhere. I was very worried that my kids were going to cut their feet.

Later that night, after the tide rolled out, we were able to look for hermit crabs in the tide pools, the kids enjoyed it.

The pool was constantly crowded and we didn't feel comfortable bringing our kids into that environment. Also, the hotel starts blasting music by the pool starting at 9:00am and it lasts until very very late. I found it very annoying and WAY too loud.

We decided to leave on Sunday instead of staying until Wednesday. I don't think I would come back to this hotel. In fact, if I ever come back to Rocky Point I will try to find either a house or a condo that is far away from the hotels..

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank hotmama1Phoenix_az
San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 July 2008

This was my first trip to Rocky Point and I was rather excited after hearing good reviews from my friends from college. I'm not much of a party guy per ce, but I think I know how to have a good time too.

My girlfriend and I drove from Phoenix Rocky Point with a one night stay at the Penasco del Sol hotel. Unfortunately, I thoughtlessly didn't get directions to the actual hotel like I should have. I figured it was on the beach, thus easy enough to find...WRONG! We drove around the beach for an hourn trying to find the hotel. I quickly was getting mad when we couldn't find it. It was starting to get dark and we were getting a little worried. Thank goodness my girl kept a cool, plus she's way better with directions than I am (I admit to that), and she found the hotel after a while.

We were instantly greeted by attendants who help with our bags showed us where to park the car. I was using my Spanish but everyone there spoke English pretty well. We were shown to our room where the attendant, Jesus, put our bags away and even hung my my suit. Jesus found that the remote control for the very nice plasma screen TV was busted. He sent someone up, and it was handled in no time.

The room was awesome! A huge shower, very comfortable beds and easy access to the pool. The was a microwave, refrigerator and two sinks. The whole room was very clean and boasted marble floors and countertops as well as very rustic cast iron bars on the beds. The room had almost more of a Tuscan feel than Mexican, muy romantico.

The pool area was very nice too. It was open all night and had plenty of lounge chairs to sit in the sun. Some even had nice canopies if you needed a break from the sun. The bar had some pretty good bartenders. My girl loves D-I-R-T-Y Martinis, and she raved about hoe good they were.

The only down side would be breakfast the next morning. First it took and hour to get there, and they had no late check out. We called the desk to say that we ordered breakfast at 10, and it was now after 11, they gave us a late check out to compensate. The food was not great. My omelette was good but my girl, who doesn't eat pork, had some cut up hot dogs on her plate where I asked for potatos. Plus the pancakes had no syrup. The food wasn't great, but there were plenty of low priced restaurants with 5 minutes walking distance that were outstanding.

All in all, this hotel was excellent. Service was good and they were quick to fix any mistakes. The room was nice and clean, and the view was worth taking pictures of. I would certainly stay here again, but not for the food.

• Liked — Very Romantic, Great View
  • Disliked — The Food
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cervantez
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 9 July 2008

After seeing some bad reviews of this hotel I was really worried about staying here. I have come to the conclusion that some people set out to have a bad time, and it doesn't matter if they are staying at the ritz, they are going to complain. Don't listen to those people!

This is a beautiful hotel. The swim up bar is great, and the security makes absolute certain that kids can't swim in that pool...you have no idea of how many irresponsible parents tried to make their small children swim in the bar pool.

Checking in was a breeze. We arrived 5 hours before check in, and they let us right into our room, without asking a question. I didn't come across one single person at the hotel that didn't speak English, so it was really nice to not have a language barrier.

When we walked in we were blown away by how nice the hotel was. Since this is one of the medium priced hotels, I didn't expect anything grand...but the lobby and pool areas were something you'd expect from a much more expensive hotel.

The room was clean, and very spacious. When we checked in I asked the guy at the front desk if he could upgrade our room and he gave us a king ocean front suite for free!

For my wife and I this hotel had a better location than most of the other resorts. This is one of the only hotels located on the strip of beach close to the old port. That means that this hotel is basically surrounded by the neighborhood around it. The neighborhood is completely safe, and you could walk 2 minutes and find a great meal for only a couple of dollars. The resorts in the northern part Rocky Point, are very secluded and you are sheltered from the local culture, which for me is a shame. I loved being surrounded by the local culture, and being able to walk across the street and get real authentic local food!

My wife and I are already planning our next stay here!

• Liked — friendly staff, clean room, great beach, and local culture
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tubac
Reviewed 19 June 2008

My sisters-in-laws and I drove to Rocky Point with our 3 grandchildren June 10, stayed three days, only problem was sewer smell in room 229, maid poured clorax in the drain. Free breakfast was great, Chliquillas, peeled and sliced fruit, omelet bar, yogurt, cereal, sweet breads, french toast, pancakes, etc, etc.

Great service from all the staff. We would diffenently stay there again. For those wanting a quiet stay;no wild young kids, go Tues. through Thurs. On Fri. going back to Tucson, many cars speeding towards RP. No long wait at the border, but was hot even in that half hour. The pool area was always clean,early mornings someone was cleaning beach area. We can't wait to go back!!!!

• Liked — Beautiful Hotel and location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
san Ysidro
Reviewed 17 June 2008

I make reservations thru the Hotel website, wich had a special: pay 3 nights, 4th night free. Had no trouble booking and called the hotel just to make clear about the 4th night. The reservations dept says If the site make the reservation it is ok, discount will be made at the departure. Also ask about springbreakers and they told me they leave same day that I arrived. (I have 2 kids under 6 years old). First: springbrakers stayed ! making lot of noise at night. Second: at the 3rd night when we went to the room, there was a awful smell, maintenance personel went promptly to smell the problem and sprayed some deodorized. Smell return late that night. At 8:00 am I went to the desk to close the check and to get another room, I ask about the 4th night free and what a surprise! They say no. I showed their web site and enter the special and they still say "I can't do anything". I ask for the manager and a very nice spoken lady take me to her office and She said that the general manager did not aproved the 4th night. I tell her that that was a misleading advertisement but She say "I'm sorry". I tell her that if they don't honored what they advertised, then I will leave that day with my family. Also mentioned the problems with the room and the noisy and drunk springbrakers and that I called the hotel to comfirm the springbreakers will leave before I enter with my family. Nothing was given, not even an apology. When I was paying to leave the hotel, I was informed that my '06 Uplander had a bump make with a truck las night driven by guess who! drunken driving springbreakers! I spend half day dealing with this matters and leave the hotel very dissapointed. Apparently the hotel owner is a USA citizen which have no respect to dissapointed guests. I do not recomend this hotel nor I will stayed in the future. For families, double check Your room rate and if You want a quiet vacations, Don't stay in hotels were springbrakers party. Seems that some hotels in Mexico don't accept springbrakers because they only make noise, don't spend in restaurants ( buy beer at the market and get drunk, also they only eat burritos or tacos ).

I think Mexico deserves better tourists.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank mountainbiker08
ldmnaz, Director of Sales at Penasco Del Sol Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2008
We cannot discriminate against guests on the basis of age(unless under 18), we have security in place in the hotel and make every attempt to keep the hotel peaceful and quiet. In regards to the 4th night free promotion, this was not the package booked by this guest. In fact, that package was sold out when the reservations were made. It is impossible for us to determine if we will have spring breakers in the hotel based on a reservation date and we appologize if in fact someone said they would all be checking out. However, in pur research we found that comment to be unfounded. Thank you-
Denver, CO
Reviewed 21 May 2008

After reading some of the negative reviews I almost changed my plans. However, after staying at Penasco Del Sol ..... I realize you can't believe everything you read. This is an excellent hotel which recently underwent a $16 Mil renovation. The food was great, the staff was nice, everything was clean and new - it was a very positive experience. Whatever problems this hotel may have had in the past do not exist now.

• Liked — Great pool area
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends