“Good times were had”

Penasco Del Sol Hotel
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Really lovely hotel, got great service from the front desk, very comfortable room/beds.
The wifi connection in the rooms is more or less non-existent, which was especially frustrating because I couldn't use my cellular service in Mexico. However the lobby gets an ok connection, and is very beautiful and comfortable - so I wasn't totally cut off. The in-hotel restaurant is WAY over priced, and they have very slow service so I wouldn't recommend it. (Go to the market area down the road for food!) The outdoor bar tenders were very nice. But again the drinks were crazy overpriced. The convenience of the hotel is outstanding... The pool area overlooks the beach, so it's but a few seconds walk away. The pools are very nice and I love their swim-up bar! Also, right across the street is a place called "Wrecked"... which is a two story upstairs bar and grill. They have awesome service, cheap drinks, and good food.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I got a room that opened up to the pool, this was fabulously convenient... but if you want a great v...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank coercionette

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed on a Sunday night so it was not very busy. Staff was all very nice. Service in restaurant was a little slow at times but food was very delicious. Room was clean, smelled fresh and spacious. View of the pool and ocean was wonderful. Amazing sunsets! Had the pool pretty much to ourselves on Monday. If you want to be able to charge to your room, make sure at check in they know you will want to do that. We had to provide our credit card three times for additional authorization. Very easy access to the beach. Already thinking about our next trip!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa G
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Top line: this is a very nice hotel. Clean, comfortable, and it sits right on a huge beach - perfect location.

I was quickly checked-in, no hassles, nice friendly staff. The rooms are a decent size - I had a nice balcony looking over the pool and the beach (see photos). The beds are a good size, good wifi, both Spanish and English satellite TV channels. The rooms only have a shower - no tub - and they are quite basic, so don't go expecting luxury, but they are definitely comfortable.

I ate in the hotel restaurant a couple of times - it was pretty decent. Very friendly staff, quick service, the food came in good time and tasted good.

One thing which could be considered a downside for some people is that it's not that close to the main strip in Puerto Penasco - it's a $10 cab ride away. There are a few restaurants nearby, but if it's the promenade you want, then you have a little ride to get there.

For me, it was a good thing not to be right near the Puerto Penasco strip - this was a quiet, relaxing hotel, and it's location to the beach is second-to-none - you're right on it, and it's a great beach too.

I had a little hassle when the lock to my room stopped working, and so I was locked out. However, the reception staff dealt with this really quickly and had a guy come and fix it straight away, so it wasn't much of a hassle.

The hotel has secure parking, and one other important thing... quick elevators! (I really hate hotels with slow elevators!)

I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank MendozaUK
Reviewed 16 May 2014

A beautiful property, stunning Lobby, spanse pool area, and awesome beach front, right on the Bay,of the Gulf Of California.(Sea of Corte'z) Beach side 'palapas" and a huge pool deck with jacuzzi and Bar. One thing missing: SERVICE (and Guests!) Hummmm? There 'were' employees, on shift, but they seemed more interested in talking amongst themselves in espaNol, or nowhere to be seen!? "check in is at 4" However I did arrive around 1050 am-ish. There were no guests, many empty ready to go rooms right then, but I was jacked around saying ' my rooms is no ready". I CAL B.S. on that one. I know games hotels play. NOT COOL! I had been driving since 645am, from Blythe Ca. and was tired. There was no NEED to not just assign me a room in the catagory I reserved. It's not like people were checking in soon. in a 200 room hotel, I was maybe #20. at most. thats rooms rented! And no real joy en the restaurant staff, or really anything. PLUS the ENTIRE hotel is No Fumar No smoking. It's like Hawaii: "no smoking within 20ft. of the perimiter". Stupid!~
It's mexico! you can basically smoke "where ever" Lame!

Room Tip: Get a Beach Front, or pool front, Ground Floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Aerovergalineas
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We had planed our vacations since March 24th. Came to Peñasco (my first time) and have to say that the experience staying at the Peñasco del Sol Hotel was more grateful than we expect.

I have to recommend you guys and gals, families and any one want to have a great vacations in Sonora´s beaches, go there. You will no regret. Price, cleanness, friendly staff, avery thing there you will find.

Have a great day and a great vacations

Room Tip: Ask on building front to the pool and the beach.... we stay at room 531 ... great view...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Ihad visited this hotel for the last ten years at least once a year,3 to 4 times a year for the last 3 years and my last one this april 2014 was my worst impresion of this place ever.we got one hour early for check in and the receptionist was terrible unprofessional saying sorry you have to wait.we knew the hotel was a one- third of occupancy.the ice machine doesnt work an any floor, l had to request room servive at 6pm because itnwasnt done perhalps we werent there since lunch time, no towels in sink but I have to say good think too, really good food, security was pretty good, and bar and bar tenders awesome, I found out is new managment please take care or we go someplace else, thank you. PD I really like this hotel in the past, hope this one was just a bad time

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank ergaran44
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I was there to celebrate my birthday with my girlfriend I am mexican but it was my fist time in puerto penasco. I was impress with the service at the hotel. the property is beautiful and they gave us special treatment the whole vacation the staff new about my birthday congatulate me and send me a cake to my room. I totally recomend the hotel can wait to get back

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends