“Wouldn't stay there again”
Review of Vina Del Mar Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Penasco
Vina Del Mar Hotel
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
Arizona
“Wouldn't stay there again”
Reviewed 30 January 2010

Stayed one night with my daughter. We wanted to stay on the malecon because it's near our favorite restaurant, Flavio's. They charge a $20 key deposit. Of course, I forgot it, which I believe most people do, and when I turned in my key, no one offered to return the deposit. Surprise! While in the shower, the water changed from freezing to boiling every few seconds, making for a very unpleasant experience. The room was mediocre at best. We got the "suite", which had a suspicious couch, a small, well-used table and two chairs, and a balcony overlooking the roof below. This hotel is in serious need of an upgrade.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank oraclechica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Beaumont
Reviewed 19 March 2009

Booked thru Rocky Point rentals and could have gotten a better price as walk-ins and no one was hardly there. THis is more of a motel with three stories and some suites.
Next to the Malecon where locals stroll and musicians play on weekend nights. No beach here but $2 cab ride gets you to either beach area.
Stingy on towels, good restaurant, clean rooms and pool and wonderful ocean views. No fridge.
Restaurants a short walk away.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EdwardRY
Las Vegas
Reviewed 11 August 2008

First time in PP. Wife and kids wanted to stay in the fancy hotels by the beach. So, I drove over there with the family in the car.
We drove around looking for a good price in the fancy newer hotels. While driving I noticed all the angry tourist drivers zipping around and no one really looking happy.
I turned the car around and headed back to the old town area.
Boy was my wife pissed at me for not wanting to stay at the new fancy angry tourist area.
Now then, we located a hotel called Vina Del Mar and I said we are staying here. After checking in and getting two rooms we went to the pool, looked at the ocean from our room, took a walk downtown, watched a sunset, and enjoyed all the calm friendly people. My wife fell back in love with me. The kids had the time of their lives. All was good and my life was complete again.
Great place, but if you are a type A person just stay at the fancy beach hotels or maybe buy a rip off time share.
But for me, I'll take the old town anyday over that fancy area. If I want fancy I'll go to Vegas....OH! but wait that's where I live and don't need it on my vacation.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank offwegoLasVegas
Flagstaff, AZ
Reviewed 14 July 2008

We've stayed there numerous times over the last 3 years and always found it a good value. It is clean and the staff friendly and even overlooks the water, if you request a balcony room. I do NOT recommend it on a long holiday weekend, however. They have security onsite and come quickly, but the drunken college kids are a pain!!

• Liked — The value is great and in old port. You can walk to restaurants, bars, and shopping.
  • Disliked — Drunk and loud college kids on holiday weekends.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 June 2007

On a whim I headed to Rocky Point to escape the Arizona summer heat. With no reservations I drove into Rocky Point and looked at the downtown area and realized that that is where the life of the town was.. and because of that the other locations with the newer, fancier hotels were out of the question. The Vina Del Mar could use a minor facelift. The first room we were given smelled heavily of smoke but the reception provided us with another room when we voiced our displeasure. This room was clean and overlooked the pool. The pool was beautiful with a delightful wet bar but be sure and use ear-drops afterwards as the rim hadn't been cleaned well and there was some algae arond the ladders in the water. The poolside drinks were very good as long as you did not want anything fancy. The location was ideal; you were only two blocks to the malecon and the evening breezes were pleasant. The room was $70 which was not unreasonable as I did not have a reservation. The Lighthouse Restaurant was directly above the hotel on the hill and was a great place to eat... Just don't plan on walking there!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The age of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank SeaBjorn

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Penasco hotels

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 20 March 2007

My brother and I stayed at Vina Del Mar for four nights. We stayed in two different rooms as we stayed one night longer than anticipated. Rooms are basic with clean bathrooms, chairs or couches, TV with many channels both in english and spanish, and the beds are comfortable enough. I felt safe at the hotel, but one of the rooms was lacking a dead bolt. They do have someone keeping watch 24/7. The staff is very friendly and helpful. On our unexpected fourth night stay they rented us a room at a discount rate for $45, instead of the usual $100 or so. The hotel is right by the ocean with great views, although there is no beach only rocks. Still it is very relaxing, and they have a few areas were you can relax with a drink and watch the sunset. The pool area is nice, and has a swim up bar. I did not try the restaurant "Maria Bonita," but I have been told they have excellent breakfast. There are also many shops and restaurants nearby as well as a liquor store. I can recommend El Rincon De Regina for excellent, inexpensive mexican and seafood, and Mary's (at the end of the fish market) for some fresh and tasty seafood. In addtion, it is only about a five minute cab ride to the clubs/bars and cabs cost $2 per person. Overall, we had a pleasant stay at Vina Del Mar and I would recommend it to anyone.

You can check out many photos, and make reservations through Synergy Reservations. The website is http://rockypoint-mexico.com/hotels.htm

• Liked — Inexpensive, and friendly staff
  • Disliked — I wish there were a beach.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank madmusic
phoenix, az
Reviewed 10 February 2007

we stayed here at vina spring of 2006. the rooms were basic, the bathrooms were not up to my standards of cleanliness by any means, but after a couple of drinks who cares? it wasn't like filth all over, just some gross stuff in the corners, don't touch it, don't worry about it! it's mexico, it's the cheapest place, GREAT LOCATION you can bar hop down the street or go to the crappy shops if that's your cup of tea. I believe the rooms numbered 100 through 112 had ocean views, so that's what I will ask for next time. there were also some rooms facing right out onto the pool, which some of the families seemed to be staying in. It's only $2 for a cab, take one to Manny's for a fun night. Also, I love the tile decorations around the pool and cantina here... very very beautiful and colorful. They also had parrots and the staff was not outstanding but friendly enough to call us a cab.

• Liked — price and location
  • Disliked — grimy bathrooms
  • Stayed February 2006, travelled as a couple