“Don't believe everything you read and hear in the paper”
Review of Sonoran Sea Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Penasco
Sonoran Sea Resort
Tucson, Arizona
“Don't believe everything you read and hear in the paper”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

A rocky point vacation on Sandy Beach is a beautiful vacation spot with fabulous ocean views and white sand beaches as a fraction of the cost anywhere else. From the hotels to the food this is a great vacation value. Resort is right on the beach with great views from the rooms of the ocean that is much warmer than water in So Ca. at all times of the year.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dave85715

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
So Cal
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I have been to the Sonoran Sea on three occasions now and enjoyed it each time. Great sandy beach where you can get massages from a number of enterprising ladies for 200 pesos a half hour (roughly 17 dlls). I recommend Yolanda who has a sign with her name by her massage table. Rocky Point is a small town with little or no night life but the town was built for relaxation and not as much partying. Good year round bottom fishing for trigger fish and corvina. You can charter a boat for 200dlls I recommend El Jefe boat charters. Pepe speaks perfect English and knows the sea and the town. You can find him by the dock with his boat out of the water every afternoon. I rented the room through RPR Mexico through their phone reservation line in the us. Nice pool area and swim up bar. The rooms can also be rented to VRO where you can see pictures of this privately own condo rentals. Driving in town is easy but try to do it during the day only. Recent traffic ordinance changes have made the cost of running a stop sign a costly 160 dlls and the police knowing this have been aggressively pulling over even locals (especially at night) trying to shake them down for a hefty donation in lieu of going to the police station and paying the fine.

Room Tip: West Tower rooms are quieter and get the best sunsets.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lernie
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This was my first time in Mexico and my children's first time going out of country. We flew to Phoenix and then drove to Rocky Point. We stayed in room 802E from Friday night until Monday morning at he end of Oct.

The resort is beautiful. They have 3 amazing pools that go from cold to hot. The last one has a swim up bar that also serves food from noon-6 pm I think. At night they turn on the water fountains and it is very romantic. It was low season I think and it felt like we had half the resort to ourselves which was great. You are shielded from the morning sun when you are in the East wing so it doesn't blind you or warm you up first thing in the morning. It was quiet, very little noise from the beach or pools floated up and that made it very relaxing. The elevators are small but I found them to be quick. We were never waiting very long. The weather was phenomenal, highs of 30 degrees Celcius, 95% humidity with clear skies. Absolutely wonderful.

As for room amenities, our AC worked great, the beds were comfortable, the rooms spacious and nicely decorated, and there were even board games and movies in the living room. We had a beautiful view from the balcony as well. It was really convenient to have a washer and dryer. The downsides were that our stove only had 1 working element. There was however a microwave, and a electric frying pan so it turned out ok. The master bedroom door didn't lock, and the master bathroom's door was really squeaky. Everything seemed very clean and organized for the most part. The only downside to the cleanliness was that the hair dryer in the master bathroom seemed to have mold growing in it. We left the messages with the front desk when we left. Despite those issues I would stay in that room again. We loved it for our family.

As for things to do, we ended up spending most of our days in the Sea, doing snorkeling (rented from the Dive shop in the hotel for $20/day), swimming and the banana boat rides ($5/per person Oct.3013) They are a ton of fun and affordable. We had planned to do other things like the swimming with sea lions but it was just so much fun swimming and then relaxing playing cards at night that we didn't make it. The dive shop was listed as being open but it was closed on Sunday and then on Monday as well, so I think they do tours and may close when they do them.

The front desk was very polite and check in and out was easy and fast. If you can speak spanish I think the trip would be more fun. Some people couldn't speak english very well.

We ate at the restaurant at the Sonoran Spa, very friendly, great food but small, so during busy times it might be hard to find a place to sit.

As for safety, we traveled during daylight hours and the resort is in a gated type community. Every one wears wristbands to show they are part of the resort and they have security guards walking around. The guards don't look scary though. We felt safe and secure everywhere we went, even in town. If you are worried, I would just take precautions, travel during the day, carry only the amount of money you need to have and be polite.

A few things to keep in mind if you haven't been here:

- The vendors pretty much work a 9 am- 5pm shift on the beach when we were there, so make sure your banana boat rides, snorkeling equipment, purchases of jewellery or hair braiding and spa services are done during those hours.

- If you aren't used to haggling, this can be a culture shock. I would suggest making yourself a budget and sticking to it. Some of the starting prices are outrageous.

- The sun sets fast when it starts. If you don't want to be off-property after dark, keep an eye on the sun.

-Bring additional towels for the beach or yourself. We had 1 towel/per person in our room and if we go again , I will bring more with me. You can put a deposit for a beach towel in the dive shop of $5 as well.

All in all it was a great vacation, friendly helpful staff, clean, spacious rooms, beautiful weather, awesome beach and I look forward to going back with the kids. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a place to relax, and enjoy quiet fun.

Room Tip: East 1-3 rooms block early morning sun Low noise pollution on the higher levels but need to take a...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pinkdusk
Avondale, Arizona
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stay her consistently and love the fact that this resort is right on the beach with a full ocean view, a swim up bar, volleyball court, restaurant, mini store, etc. It is also within walking distance to the monkey bar (chongos) i believe and also walking distance to ATV rentals as well as all the beach rentals. The parking lot is guarded and it is paved road all the way down from Phoenix. No worries of your car being broken into or stolen.

Room Tip: if you are looking for a great interior setup for a 1 bedroom request 610-E
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I have been going to Rocky point for ten years now. I have also been to beaches in Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Peru, Argentina, Canada, US East cost, US West coast, Barbados and Puerto Rico. Despite the warnings to the contrary I have never been harassed by the police. Also to the contrary of popular belief it is very safe. There are several things going for it in addition to it's proximity to Tucson and Phoenix. 1. Weather is pretty much guaranteed to be sunny. 2. Water is warm-unlike California!- most of the year and the beach is safe for kids (no rough waves or strong currents). 3. The view from the condo's is stunning. 4. The fresh shrimp down at the port is world class (in fact better!). 5. The price is cheap (for now). 6. In 50 trips I have never had food poisoning and yes I buy the produce locally at the Super Ley supermarket.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less noise from the pool and better views.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PeripateticTucson
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The unit we stayed in was stunning. The ocean views were amazing. There are 3 pools to choose from including one with a swim up bar (always was loud and looked dirty too me), an "infinity" like pool (my favorite), and a family oriented pool. The staff members were okay at best. Some were quite rude. On the beach there are constantly locals selling something. You can get some good deals, and if you are not interested they usually do not harass you. Lastly, I wish there were more dive trips.... The week I went there was only one offered at 6am on a Saturday.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My advice (for off season visiting)
1. You cant beat the price for beach front resorts.
2. Its a fishing town with a resort, don't expect Las Vegas style entertainment here. come here to relax not to party.
3. If you can, bring all your alcohol, food, and critical kitchen supplies with you and save money.
4. If you love seafood buy it at the fish market. Fresh, cheap, and very good.
5. Get a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor to avoid the small elevator.
6. don't bother with the convenient store at the resort.

I have been to this resort for the last two years and always enjoyed myself. the last two years I have gone it has been in September and with 3 other friends. With all the deals we got it was around $160 per person for the whole weekend (4days/3nights). If I could I would give it a sixth star for value.

The first year (mid Sept 2011)I went with my friend who told me that it was a party town and expect beach party during the day and club parties at night. We found out that it was not the case during the off season. Since he use to go during spring break in his college days it changes a bit in Sept. Most of the bars in town were closed and only half the hotel seemed occupied. but we adjusted and still had a good time. The room we picked was great and had a great view of the ocean. being on the second floor was perfect since just outside our front door was the stairs down and the view wasn't bothered by the people walking back and forth by the pool. We found that the convenient store at the resort was overpriced and under stocked so we went to a Safeway like store just outside of town on the main road and got all our food and alcohol supplies. we went down to the fish market and bought some shrimp to cook and some nick nacks from all the fun shops. we went out that night and found that all the bars were closed except for two of them and there were only 2-5 people at both besides us. the next night we went to the bar on the far side of the resorts parking lot, which was surprisingly packed and listen to the live music (classic rock). during the day we hung out at the pool and ocean. I read a great book and came back so relaxed.

The next year (early Sept 2012) I went with my Girlfriend and two other friends that have never seen the ocean before. There was flooding at the Sonoyta Bridge and we had to drive through Mexico to get to the resort. although all the Mexican Federales were intimidating because none of us spoke Spanish and they had automatic rifles, they were actually very polite and nice to us. unlike the US border patrol. after our 5 hour detour through Mexico we got there the next day (long story) and the resort gave us an extra day for free since we missed our first day. We quickly found out that nobody was as brave as us for going around the bridge and we were the only Americans (that we saw) at the resort. in fact there were only two other families that we saw there. We felt like we had the place to ourselves. And from my lesson last year we brought our own alcohol and food and had a very relaxing and quiet stay at the resort. This year I tried cooking and found all the kitchen supplies well below par and felt like they got everything as cheap as possible just so they could say they had them. I did book the same room as last year and had the same great location and view. we went to the fish market again this year and got 3 pounds of HUGE shrimp and a pound of Stingray, thanks to my friends joking around with the merchant. surprisingly the stingray was really good with only some butter, salt & pepper. Overall excellent food from the market. We had a great relaxing trip and had little issues going back to Tucson.

This year I have talked many friends into going and hope to get a few rooms next to each other. I am planning again to bring all the supplies (water food alcohol),a good book, turn my cell phone off and relax on the beach :)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends