“Not a Luxury resort.”
Review of Sonoran Sun Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Penasco
Sonoran Sun Resort
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
Reviewed 6 April 2013

The Staff is indifferent. Checking in , the receptionist was more interested in her personal phone call than us. The units are decorated by the owners, obviously there are no standards.
We were fortunate that we were able switch the Unit we rented through an Agent to another owner's Unit , who was checking out. That Unit was acceptable, but not great. Our original unit looked like the owners took all their old furniture and furnished the Unit. The Wifi did not work, nor did the TV. The Restaurant was adequate , and the server competent
The bright spots were the Ocean views, the pool area , and the Beach.The negatives , that there were few if any employees to assist with chairs , towels,etc.The overall attitude was it will be done mañana.

Room Tip: You would be well advised to Book through and owner directly ,rather than rely on booking Agents.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Another nice time at the Sonoran Sun resort - clean, well maintained and secure. The Sonoran properties are generally closer to the water and have better veiws than the other places in Rocky Point. We have been traveling to this area for more than 20 years and we like the Sun about the best of any place we have stayed here. All the rooms have great views, nice balconies and the pool is heated in cooler months, so even when the ocean is too cool, you have a place to swim.

The pool has a swim up bar / snack bar which has good drinks and great tacos. Never tried the resturant in all of our visits, but it seem perpetually empty. Gas grills are available in the common area, so you can cook what you want if you don't want to eat out.

If you come, just keep in mind that during spring you have to deal with the wild high school / college kids running around drunk and loud, but security generally keeps them from getting too out of control.

Down east towards the Sonoran Spa is 'Hector' who will take you out in a sailboat for ~$40 for 45 minutes or so, great time, recommend it highly

Just a tip; each resort has two jet ski rental guys (one at each end, they rent a concession) - the guy at the east end of Sonoran Sun (big heavy set guy) always tries to screw customers; shorting them on time, trying to get extra money AFTER the rental is paid, etc. We used him a couple of times, and it was a hassle both times and he seems to do that to others as well. Lots of other vendors on the left or right of him - I try to give my business to vendors that are fair and honest.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are great for quick access to beach and pool!
Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Terry2006
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We stayed in a wonderful 2 bdrm - 2 bath unit. Private owners but rented thru Seasidemexico.com. The unit was spacious and beautifully decorated. We were there in late Feb and it's really before the season starts so the restaurant was closed (except weekends) which was a bit of a disappointment but the pool bar was open for lunch and the drinks were flowing and the fish tacos were amazing. All the rooms at this resort face the beautiful beach/ocean and there is a constant breeze off the water so it's cool there. You'll need a sweater if you go before July! There are three heated pools and two large jacuzzi's on the property and a small convenience store. If you're driving and can pack a few things I'd recommend TP and Kleenex :). The resort is a short drive to Old Port where there are many restaurants and shops. It's on the quiet end of Sandy Beach. We even had massages on the beach 1 hr for $40! Awesome!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the East end will have sun on the patios in the late afternoon in the Spring/Summer. West r...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CoriLynne
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Just returning from two months at the Sonoran Sun in unit W801 a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom end unit with wrap around deck. Everything about our accommodations was first rate. It was a well appointed unit with all you need and more to make the codo your home for your vacation stay. The Sonoran Sun has 3 outdoor pools with plenty of comfy loungers, 2 hot tubs, swim-up bar and a gorgeous beach view from every unit on the property.

We have stayed at all of the Sonoran properties in Puerto Penasco except the Sonoran Sky and would like to share information we have gathered over the past 12 years. The Sonoran resorts are not hotels. The units are individually owned by people who agree to rent their units to help defer the owner costs. The front desk cannot help you with deficiencies in your unit. If you feel things are not up to standard make sure you find the Home Owners Assoc. office on the property and tell them what is missing or broken etc. They will contact the owner who will give them instructions to retify the problem. We have learned that some condos are well appointed and some are not. These are not hotels rooms all furnished the same with that cookie cutter look.

Regardless of which property you are at or which unit you book you are guaranteed easy access to a glorious beach. All Sonoran properties are clean and well maintained.

Room Tip: I would recommend any room on the west side. These rooms give you not only a great of the beach but...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jan G
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I thought the hotel was fine. The rooms are great, spacious, nicely decorated. I don't think it was the hotel I didn't like. I just didn't like the location. Maybe it was just that I was hoping for a little more greenery coming from Phoenix.... I just didn't have a good feel there. And from the time we entered the lobby and the cabinet doors were coming off of their hinges, I just had a bad impression. But I have to say the swim up bar was great and the food there was better then the food at any of the other restaurants we went to. Every restaurant was way over priced. One of the joys of going to MX is that you can get things a bit cheaper. But everything WAS cheaper, but you still had to pay as if it weren't. So, we'll head to other more beautiful destinations next time and get what we paid for.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank foundlamb
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This was our first trip to Puerto Peñasco and it was a great one. The condos at Sonoran Sun are beautiful with great view to the ocean we stayed in SE805. The only thing we did not like was the restaurant, but you can alway go buy your groceries and make a good meal at you condo.
We are going back and staying at Sonoran Sun!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank GlezA
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We are just back from 8 days at the Sonoran Sun -- the property is beautiful and generally well maintained and every room has a great view of the ocean. The prices are very good and the rooms are large and have huge balconies with a great view of the water.

The only real downside is the staff -- the front desk in particular. We were 4 people in a 2B2B room and we discovered that we had no pillowcases in 1 room and only 4 bath towels total. I went down and asked the front desk (our unit didn't have a phone) for a few wash cloths and hand towels. They said we would get them the next day...of course nothing. I again went to the front desk and this time the guy told me there was nothing he could do and all he had was some paper towels, to come back the next day in the morning. This went on until after 4 days of asking, we got 1 washcloth and 1 hand towel. At that point I just gave up and figured that it wasn't worth the time to ask for more than 3 plates or anything else that the condo was missing. I talked with a few other folks there and heard similar stories. Bascially what you have in your condo when you arrive is probably all you will get, so better to just buy what you need at a local store and be done with it.

I will give the security guards credit for keeping ATVs off the beach, they turned back several while we were there. The guards can be a bit up tight at times though; I got into the pool with a cotton tee shirt to protect me from the sun, and one guard (very overweight guy), asked for my room number and told me I couldn't wear a cotton tee in the pool. For some reason the Mexican guests in the pool were allowed to do so, but not me. Not sure why, but that was how it worked.

Be aware that swimming in the ocean can be hazardous -- we noticed Jet Skis running right by us while swimming in the 'safe' area -- they bouys they use are so small and so far apart that some of the jet ski drivers run right through the swimming area. I can only hope one day they will invest in larger and more bouys to protect swimmers.

In summary, even with the negatives, a great place to stay and a great deal.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are great with kids and are much easier to get access to the beach and pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family