“Sonoran Sun E 504”
Review of Sonoran Sun Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Penasco
Sonoran Sun Resort
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Highly recommend this place, very nice friendly and helpful staff. Have not been in 5 years but plan to go again when warms up, maybe next April or May. Water was warm (75) but got a lot of wind and blowing sand a few days.
Speaking to owners this is the best of the Sonoran properties for many reasons and I agree will go again soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LuckyJon1964

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We spent our last summer vacation at a favorite spot (Rocky Point, Mexico). Our normal hotel choice was booked, so we picked a neighboring property.
We paid $200 per night and got poor service, a condo that wasn't ready, dishes that were broken and pots and televisions that should have been replaced years ago.
While I could see not upgrading things if the rate were $100 a night, but when you charge $200 per night, you should invest in your property and make sure that the service team understands that good customer service will make people want to come back.

We arrived at 2:00, check-in time was at 4. We went to the restaurant for lunch and although there were only 2 or 3 other tables, it took 90 minutes for us to get through lunch and all we ordered were sandwiches and drinks (and paid WAY too much for those also.)

So, at 3:30 we went to check in and were told that the room wasn't quite ready (one more bed needed to be made) but we could have the key, so we took it and went to the room.

We waited until 4:30 for the other bed to be made (actually, all we needed were the linens, but they were not there) and it took 3 phones calls and until 7pm for the room to be ready. When I mentioned this to the front desk, they told me that next time, they wouldn't let me check in early. My response was that I checked in early believing that they would have everything ready by 4!

When we looked at the utensils, they were a MESS (see photo). We then looked at the pots and other things and they also needed to have been upgraded years ago.

I would not recommend staying at the Sonoran Sun resort unless they improve their customer service and lower their prices.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Az_Family_of_4-1234
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed in rooms 504 & 304. Both are 2bd/2ba. 504 is very spacious and clean while 304 is more elegantly decorated with less room because it has more furniture, but both are well maintained. Free Wi-Fi & long distance calls were a huge plus, but reception can be a bit spotty. 504 has a better selection of kitchen gadgets, plates, pots and a margarita maker, which we didn't get to use because of lack of time.

The swim up bar at the pool lacks service and selection. Quite a few people were upset.

The grocery store La Ley was only a 10 minute drive with a great selection of food and alcohol so we stocked up.

The master suites have great views of the ocean. The view from the balcony was my favorite. We had dinner out there every night. You will feel secure here, security is regularly walking around and they are pretty helpful but right at 10:00 pm make sure your music is turned down because they will be knocking on your door.

The only issue was crossing the border at Sonoyta, cops can be brutal. Although, we were not speeding we were stopped. After explaining to them that we were not speeding and that we were aware that speeds limits are in kilometers, they let us go.

All in all, our stay was pleasant and relaxing.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank juzus4
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed in many of the other resorts (Princessa, Sonoran Sky, Las Palmas, Las Palomas) and this was really good. Pools were looked after, swim up bar is handy (lots of happy hour deals) food was good (little tacos and hand cut fries) and bar staff excellent. Lots of bees though for those with a phobia though didn't see anyone get stung. Beach access good with security presence, check in was painless. Did not try restaurant. Condo was much better than expected. East side 2 bed two bath - one bedroom has 4 large bunks the other has a king bed with sea views. Large wedge shaped balcony with lots of room. Very nice!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank AZBluebird
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The staff in reception wasn't very nice, I came with little babies at 3:30 after a long drive and they did not allow us to Check in until 4pm and leave around waiting, the place is well protected and clean

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the one bedroom condo on the fifth floor and enjoyed it immensely. The check in was painless and after settling in and awed by the balcony and view we hungered for Sonoran food and visited Emilianos the on
site restaurant. Our server Carlos
was great and insisted on the steak. He was right on..it was thin
cut as is the Mex style but tender
and well cooked..The prices were
more then I am used to in Sonora
but overall a great first time...the place was empty and can only be
explained by most guests cooking in.
The pool area is clean and very secure..three connected large pools with swim up bar..the guests
are mostly Mexican families or pochos from Arizona...lottsa kids
so my children were in heaven
If you prefer there is the adult pool
that is more chill...
On the beach we found a coupla
ladies giving beach front massage
and my wife was pleased ..about
25 bucks for a half hour.
I would suggest you bring lots of
small bills in dollars for your visit
as they are accepted, however no
one ever has change.
The drinks at swim up bar are good and not pricy .. most guests
bring a cooler to the pool filled with beer.. the food at pool bar not
great and you wait forever.
My biggest challenge was check out...they have to inspect your room and they only do that after
11AM...I waited as I wanted to reverse the deposit on credit card
before I left... big hassle
I have been told if I had made my
reservation with Seaside Reservations at property I would
forgo the deposit and check out
drama..The whole stay was enjoyable and a great value!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Reidmac1
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stayed at the Sonoran Sun Resort for a week in Rocky Point, otherwise known as Puerto Peñasco, from June 16th to June 21st, 2013. Despite the $20 fee for arriving after 11:00 pm, it was an amazing place to stay at. We stayed in a 2-bedroom condo with a laundry area, two bathrooms, an equipped kitchen, and a wrap-around balcony, which had a beachfront view. I definitely enjoyed the place. When we weren't at the beach, we stayed at the pool, which had security guards, showers, and an enormous swimming pool. There were nice chairs and umbrellas scattered all over. The beach was clean and a safe area. There was even a separate adult pool and jacuzzi in case you wanted to enjoy a drink in the pool. Bedrooms and condo were pretty clean (not 100% but still satisfying) and we had an amazing view. Sleep quality was great, and there was a comfy pull-out bed in the couch.The only downers- the $6.50 bowl of nachos, and one of the maids stole $20 from my husband's pockets while they cleaned. Still, these things are preventable: just bring your own food and we also cancelled maid service and cleaned the place ourselves after that.Overall, I would definitely recommend this place! We will be returning for many more years because of the great quality.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family