“Just OK”

Best Western Laos Mar Hotel & Suites
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Front desk service is not the best. Rooms were clean, but the carpets were dirty. I paid for an ocean view, I got a partial ocean view with pool view. Room is roomy though. TV was an old school TV. No ice machines, but bags of ice were free. They only provided two towels. Called for more, but took awhile to get more. Some towels were stained. No fridge. And I hate that it had NO SAFE. I had to carry my personal items along with me everywhere. Our neighbors probably had a smoking room so all the smoke went to us. We really didn't know where to eat at the hotel or if even the restaurant was open because no one was there. The pool bar was just a storage space. Loved that you can walk to the beach and it wasn't crowded in our section of the beach.I would not go back if prices were the same (pricey).

Room Tip: Bring your own towels, Bring your own Ice Chest (no fridge in room), and you have to carry your own...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank onthegogal310

Reviewed 22 March 2014

What can I say, the location is great........200 paces or so from the beach and an ocean view from our 3 floor room. BUT, NO hot water on our second day stay ( front desk told us to run it awhile because it takes some time to get up to the 3rd floor LMAO, we ran it for over 10 min still no hot water) no hand towels, no wash cloths, no ice or ice buckets, the rooms could be updated, the restaurant that they advertise was not open during our stay AND to top it off forget about even finding the place there are NO signs outside of the hotel to tell you where you are. ( It is next to the Playa Bonita). The pool was clean though not heated and the spa was luke warm at best. There were little kids in the spa so the piss warm temp did not seem to bother them but a hot tub should be much warmer. There was also no toilet paper in the restrooms by the pool and no Kleenex in the bedrooms..... we were not notified there was a paper shortage in Mexico hahaha. An alarm clock would have been nice as well as we wake up in the middle of the night and like to know what time it is. The front door needed to be shaved down because it scraped badly to get it open. We put a bid on a place to buy in RP so next time we hopefully will not have to stay at a hotel...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AZSHARON71
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I booked this hotel for the St. Valentine's week end. When we got to the room my wife found the balcony sliding door lock just hanging on the door. There was NO HOT WATER and the TV cable/dish had just been disconected. During the Winter Olympics.

I gave my complaints to the front desk clerk but when I call Expedia to ask for a refund they told me that the Hotel had no COMPLAINTS from me about the room thus it will not refund my money.

If I were you, I STAY AWY from this cheap motel.

Room Tip: Stay at the Playa Bonita Hotel. Less than the Laos Mar and right on the beach with a nice restaurant...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 42vicalonso
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Although not exactly on the beach, Laos Mar is well situated, being close to both the Sandy Beach resorts and the Old Port waterfront area. Service and staff attitudes could be improved, as the desk staff barely seemed appreciative of our business. We were mistakenly sent by staff to two already-occupied rooms but Room 116, at last, seemed very clean and everything worked. Keep expectations low here and be flexible. Laos Mar should turn out to be OK. It is a bargain, though.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 116, it seems to be the best of the three we looked at
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank MonkeyOnTheWing
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Service is not the best....
Rooms are clean but the carpets REALLY bad, stained all over.... the harder beds ever seen!!!
No ice machines, you have to pay for there at the hotel, they sell it!!
No close to the beach, a good walk to.... not even ocean view....
Very expensive for what you pay... I will never be back there!!!!
That's a shame because the place -Rocky Point- is beautiful!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank movingtoaz
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I've stayed at Laos Mar several times over the years, and have always found it to be pleasant and enjoyable as long as you don't let the "little" frustrations get to you.

The hotel sits 300 steps (I counted) from the water across Sandy Beach. The rooms on the top floors that face the water, and not all rooms do, have a nice view. It's always a relaxing experience to sit on the deck and watch the sun rise with the shrimp boats just right off shore.

The rooms are comfortable with a nice firm bed. The patios are good size and make an enjoyable place to sip your favorite beverage. The a/c was new and functioned flawlessly. The bathroom has a shower/tub combination with good water pressure and lots of hot water. The rooms have TV, phone and wifi which was spotty at best. I periodically checked the speed of the wifi and it ran from .08 mbs to almost 4 mbs downstream. Upstream ithe highest reading I got was 08mbs. Over our four day visit, I could never send a text message or email with a photo attached, although I could receive them. There was no problem with plain text messages or email. There is a coffee maker in the room, but they do not supply packet of coffee, instead, they brew coffee in the lobby starting at 7AM.

There is a bar with seating inside and out. During the week, but not on the weekend, they had a guitarist playing in the outside seating area. To me the sound was turned up too high and you could hear the music throughout the hotel.

The pool and heated spa were clean and appeared well maintained.

The staff was friendly, and helpful in quickly fixing those little glitches.

Overall, I have always enjoyed staying here, the locations is good, the rooms are comfortable and the price is reasonable.

Room Tip: One section of the hotel is three stories and the other two, I always opt for a third floor room fac...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ira S
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Decided to stay here for a family trip. Bad service from the moment we arrived. Clerk had a bad attitude.toilet and bathroom floor had hair on it the AC in our room did not work therefore we asked to change to another room wifi was never available and our room key kept malfunctioning. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013