“Management seems to like "150" a lot”

Las Palomas Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

Location excellent, beautiful facilities right next to the beach and awesome pools. Our room was a beautiful and spacious 3 bedroom, 2 bath with a full sized balcony with ocean view. Unfortunately, upon checkin to a fully paid room, we were informed that we needed to leave a 150 deposit for damages. Also, if you want to charge anything to your room you must leave a 150 dolkar deposit. And, we were given a flimsy paper card to checkout towels which if you lose, we would be charged 100 dollars (this was told to us by a pool guard and not at thd front desk). If you don't return a towel you've checked out you will be charged 30 dollars per towel. So overall I got the sense that I had to be careful to not get money squeezed out of me unnecessarily. Was the location beautiful? Yes. Would I stay there again? Not sure. The people and staff outside of the lobby were very nice and friendly and made me forget of the hassles with the administration.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank ctm50t

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed for 4 nights during our spring break trip and had a great time. It was our first time to stay anywhere but the Mayan Palace so I was not sure how it would compare. It was not as private as the Mayan Palace since it is close to town but was still beautiful. The pools were amazing! Our room was big, decorated nice, and very clean. Our patio overlooked the pool and beach so everyday had a great view. We stayed in the main building and even though it had a restaurant, it was never open. The restaurant in the next building over was open, so it was just a short walk there but very dark. The food here was amazing and we ordered room service one night too. Would totally go back again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I don't even know where to begin! I have traveled to many places around the world and never have I felt like I had to walk on pins and needles at at "so called" resort. 1) How many of you have EVER been told that you are not allowed to swim in swimming shorts!? Well, apparently, it's againt the hotel rules. The pool guard told me I could not swim with my swim suit becuase of the shorts fabric. Uuhh?? He apparently he felt is wasn't the right fabric. Uh, it's a swimming suit, so yeah, it's the right fabric! To top it off the next day a guy in the pool literally had a cotton buttoned up polo shirt with no problem. 2) Then, I brought a small cooler bag with drinks for my kids and was quickly told it was against hotel rules to have ice boxes in pool area. It's a bag not a box! 3) my parents were staying at the RV park the reef and came over to hang out with us in our room. I told the front desk and I was told that if they wanted to visit us they needed to rent a room. After much discussion, they said if they wanted to visit our room they needed to pay $20 daily per person. They even snapped their fingers like saying either you stay or go- with all the commotion I said to just add their enterance fee to my room and they said they only accepted cash! Wow! Unbelievable!! 4) I sat on the long beach chairs with my son as I was drying him off and I was quickly told by the guard that only 1 person was allowed to lay/sit on the chairs, not 2! Omg! R YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME! He said they were very expensive pool chairs. Lol! 5) when I asked to speak to resort manager she told them to give me the website email and I could address my concerns that way. WOW! 6) I went to check out and vent and I was told that I needed to wait 5 -10 min's to make sure room was clean. First of all, the room was clean bcuz we cleaned it out of courtesy of the condo owner but also, why would I leave the room clean- that's their job. Anyways, 30 min's later, and me voicing my discontent to the reception supervisor. I asked for the manager and heard her on the radio say to just give my the website email again! I was allowed to leave becuase they confirmed I did not trash the room or steal anything, instead I left it clean. I can go on and on but frankly, I don't want to relieve the worst hotel experience ever. Oh, and did I mention, my husband is an editor for a travel magazine!? He's ever more upset that I. I kindly informed them of this fact and they still didn't care. We stayed at the Mayan Palace Puerto Penasco last year and I was AMAZING, so stay there!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
17  Thank V-nice5
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We shared a three bedroom condominium with friends, and thoroughly enjoyed our weekend. (Each couple ended up paying $120 or so per night.) The condo was luxurious, offering two balconies, one was huge - large enough for a patio table and two loungers. The condo had better finishes and furniture than my house. Each bedroom had its own bathroom with an enormous Kohler tub, and its own flat screen with cable. It's a massive resort with great pools, plenty of chaise lounges, good security, daily maid service and plenty of amenities. It's a lively place and great for kids, but also tranquil enough for couples. I loved the hammock area. The resort is immaculate and the beaches are clean. If you are looking for a relaxing weekend at a beautiful resort, you can't beat this place. You won't want to leave.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed at this resort with some of my friends from Friday to Monday. When we arrived Ftriday afternoon, we all put our passports in our bag since we would not need them until our return to the US on Monday. The only day our room was accessed by someone that was not from our party was Saturday by housekeeping. To our surprise Monday at the border, mine and my 2 friends passports had been stolen right from our bag. Contacting custumer service was pointless, unhelful, and seemed just as crooked as the housekeepers!!! BEWARE!!! THEY ARE ALL CROOKS!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
14  Thank Daniel E
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Great accommodations and well-maintained amenities. Of course one of the best amenities for this property is the pool systems that include separate baby pools, a lazy river, a swim-up bar adults-only pool, hot tub pool, as well as a couple of soaking pools. The beach was gorgeous and totally uncrowded. The water was clear and clean. Though there were many native peddlers, the hotel provided guards that monitored the beaches so they felt safe.

Really great experience.

Room Tip: Go to the Sunday brunch in the Citron restaurant! Well worth it!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Las Palomas has been our regular spot in Rocky Point for the last few years. The rooms are fantastic, lots of space and just about every amenity you could imagine. The only downside for me was that I wasn't able to get a wi-fi signal in our room (but hey, when your at the beach you shouldn't be online anyway!) The pools are clean and there is plenty of seating areas on the beach. Bring your own food and drink and you are all set.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple