“Unique in Puerto Penasco”
Review of Marina Pinacate

Marina Pinacate
Marina Pinacate
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I've stayed at the Pinacate for months at a time and won't go anywhere else. It's smaller and friendlier than the big "Little Americas" further down the beach, but mostly, it's only a few steps to the beautiful beach cliff or to lots of restaurants and shops. I don't have to get in my car to go to a different restaurant every night for a week -- plus a cantina! I want that feeling of a little Mexican fishing village that I goes with the location. I also like the extreme safety of geat guards for the condos, the beach, and the parking lot. I won't go anywhere else!

Room Tip: These are condos, so each unit is different. I stayed from mid-December to the end of March in 2011...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
12  Thank Janet W
There are newer reviews for Marina Pinacate

Reviewed 13 June 2012

I have stayed at the Marina Pinacate several times, in different units, and wouldn't stay anywhere else again. The units have been really nice, the staff has been very friendly, the grounds beautiful, and there are so many excellent restaurants, clubs and stores within walking distance. If you want the best in convenience and comfort, this is it!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Cynthia J P
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I took my family to Rocky Point last weekend and had a wonderful time. A couple of them had never been before and they are already planning our next trip. I booked a Villa at Marina Pinacate and we arrived several hours before check-in time. Everyone was very helpful, from the girl at the Seaside office to the cleaning crew. David, one of the guards, was a tremendous help. He gave us information on where to eat, said he would take care of taxi service if we needed it, radioed the office to get the WIFI code for my youngest son, and assured us that our things would be well taken care of if we decided to go shopping while the Villa was being cleaned. The Villa was very clean, roomy and has incredible views of the water from 3 different levels. I was very pleased with the water pressure in the showers (it's the little things that mean so much). Every place I have stayed in Rocky Point prior to this has had very low water pressure. The Villa was stocked with everything we needed. We took advantage of the amenities at Pinacate. The first night we grilled on one of the community grills which gave us an opportunity to meet people from other areas who were vacationing in Rocky Point. A couple of my kids used the jacuzzi later that night; we talked about swimming in the pool but the beach is so close we couldn't bring ourselves to choose the pool over the beach, maybe next time. We are definitely going to go back to Rocky Point and will try to stay in a villa at Pinacate, the price is great for everything that you get. Great bargain!

Room Tip: Villa's that overlook the water have a semi-private (completely non-public) beach.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Diane S
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Wow, What Views! We have stayed at many of the other resorts in Rocky Point only to find that to explore and enjoy all the at Rocky point has to offer requires a planned trip away from the resort. At Pinacate... EVERYTHING is right there! We could see the everything along Sandy Beach AND watch the boats sail in and out of Old Port. The Fish Market area and restaurants were also MUCH closer than where we had stayed before. We are SO grateful that we stumbled upon Marina Pinacate and now it will be our place of choice for ALL future stays :)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank djtoddb
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is an old condominium place it is NOT a resort. Dirty, broken beach chairs with a non-heated pool. We went the 1st week of April 2012. We stayed in a Villa which was old, and needed lots of TLC. The place was clean and spacious, but it's missing stuff (kitchen) the jacuzzi didn't work - the cleaning crew does a mediocre job and the beach area is dirty, far, and very rocky (take water shoes).
I do not recommend you waste your time and money - it is NOT worth it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank SanDiego_2012
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Waste of money considering other resorts in the area.... Marina Pinacate is one of the oldest resorts on the beach near Playa Bonita and thus has issues with maintenance and excessive rules. We arrived 8 PM on a Thurs night before the New Years weekend. It took nearly 30 minutes to sign all the papers, I felt like I was buying one instead of renting and the office was not near the rental location. Then when we got back to the security gate by the resort, the gate guard did not speak enough English to get us settled quickly, we were tired, hungry and it was late and my 2 year old grandson had enough. Also we had to leave our trailer with a 4 wheeler out on the street due to restricted parking with a "promise" to keep an eye on it, when I could see plenty of room in the back row for our truck and gear. For security reasons I like to keep an eye on my truck and gear when in Mexico. The office also forgot to give us the Wi-Fi password so we could use it and the guard didn't know what that was.
We got into the unit finally and noted several issues right away, several lights in the bedrooms didn't have a bulb or didn't work, the walls behind the toilets were cracked and peeling, and the wet towel we threw in the dryer had to be turned off due to the constant loud squeal it made. Also several of the TV/DVD/game remotes had dead batteries or didn't work either. The unit heater was one of those all on or all off types, poorly regulated, and it got hot in the living room and cold in the bedrooms. These are the type of issues they should catch via pre-inspections and not depend on the complaining renter to have to track them down when we are there for such a short time to relax and enjoy, not do their jobs for them. Poor QA.
The next morning before 7 AM (and every morning after despite my complaint) the workers dragged a metal wheeled trash cart across the cobblestone front parking lot and woke us all up, including my 2 year old grandson. Later I took my grandson for a walk to the pool and found the water stone cold (no heated pool) and the Jacuzzi spa was "out of order" but looked like it had been that way a while. I stuck my head in the custodial office (the resident office was closed for the holiday weekend and I'm sure limited staff anyway) and asked about the pool/spa, they just repeated the words on the signs, no help at all. They did give me the Wi-Fi password and it's as slow as dial up. Then I told them of the issues we were having and they said they would send someone. Of course we are going out to enjoy the short time we have on the beach and down town, not waiting in the room for them. Someone did come by, but he said he only did TV and not the other things, but would pass it on, ...never did.
Pros: Location
Cons: Price for what you get, i.e. this should have been much cheaper for what we got and considering the competition.
Too much of a check-in process & not co-located with unit.
Too many restrictions and by-laws, parking, trailers, jet skis, 4 wheelers, etc. What do they think we go to Rocky Point for, just to look at the beach and water?
Poor up-keep of the units, appliances, pool, spa etc. Not advertised as "out of order."
Noisy workers with poor English skills.
Limited hours to get things fixed without having to wait in the room for them, holiday or not.
Poor quality control, all of what we experienced could have been caught and fixed before we got there.
Payment in full up front and when you ask for a partial refund due to poor experience they offer excuses instead of customer satisfaction with no other recourse. I will never rent from them again and steer all my friends away too. I hope you will avoid this poor excuse for a resort.

Room Tip: Avoid this place, rent elsewhere.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Seeker111
Reviewed 2 January 2009

I went to Rocky Point this last Spring Break. We checked prices all around Penasco and the Pinacate gave us the best deal thru Sea Side Reservations. We stayed in one of the villas and we had a blast!!! A beautiful 3 bedroom place in front of the ocean, we never drove because everything is near by. We will be back next year and we surely book thru Sea Side again. See you in Mexico!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ArizonaCruiser