“Beautiful exterior but plain rooms need some love”
Review of Hotel America

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Colima
Hotel America
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Colima
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Not bad. Not quite as grand as the beautiful historic exterior would suggest. A fairly plain hotel on the inside. The rooms need some upkeep and some TLC.

Bills itself as a convention/business hotel, but the rooms are quite plain, paint peeling, etc. The beds are big king beds, rooms are bright enough, spacious enough. Location is very good.

The first room I was given the TV was broken and there was no hot water, so I asked to be moved to another room but in the second room the lock didnt work and the shower was just one single little stream of water due to a missing spray attachment. But I didnt want to move yet again so I just stayed.

There is a pool but it's in an odd location and has no lounge chairs around it or anything, not very inviting.

Overall, it isn't bad but nothing great. The exterior really is the best part. Clean enough, central. Probably the best hotel in the center of Colima other than the Best Western Ceballos, which is a lot more expensive so not a bad choice I suppose.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank mezaco

Reviewed 17 March 2010

While it looks fine on the outside and clean in public spaces, the room was confining, circulation impossible, hot water in shower or water pressure not to be experienced. Bad room lighting and no dresser in cramped quarters. The cleaning and grounds staff do a great job, while the upper staff seems most concerned about TV. A water hose never left the lobby floor. The pool - an oversized bath, really, was scummy with no water circulating and no one daring to go in. It is a convenient locale, but avoid this place if you can...spend an extra twenty and stay on the square or the beautiful and economical Hotel Hospedajes del Rey, a few blocks away.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jesseMN
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I'm glad we stayed at the Hotel América. We went there with grave reservations because of some of the reviews on this website, but the price was right ($85 CDN) compared to the expensive Ceballos (They quoted me about $140 CDN there). We took a gamble and it paid off. Members of the staff were friendly and helpful. The service in the restaurant was next to none and the food was very good. At breakfast there was live music by a very talented pianist. One of the waiters struck my as unfriendly at first, but he warmed up eventually. Maybe he's shy.

The Hotel América is ideally situated, close to several plazas (parks), museums, and restaurants. We sometimes ate at the patio restaurant at the Hotel Ceballos, too, because of the ambiance there. But as I have already said, we also liked the atmosphere, food and great service at the Hotel América.

While we were there, we enjoyed nightly free concerts -- music and dance -- in the main plaza. They set up chairs and local people often get up and dance. It's very heart-warming! A fellow came by and spoke to us in English, explaining what was happening. We'll be back!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leona62
Reviewed 19 May 2009

My family of 3 stayed for two nights at Hotel America in Colima City. For the price (about $40 plus US) I cannot find too much to find overly critical. The location is ideal, in the heart of the Old City. The service was cordial and responsive. There is free internet service in the lobby. The room has AC (which in Colima is pretty important) and was away from traffic noise. I believe most rooms would be quiet since they primarily face an interior court. The hotel is an interesting blend of Mexican 1920's styling on the exterior and 1960's on the interior....a mishmash that somehow works. We didn't try the pool, which was pretty dinky...even though we have a teenage boy. I guess it wasn't all that inviting. The restaurant was a bit overpriced...now that I think of it. We ate there for breakfast (which the guide books recommend) and decided that, despite the convenience, once was enough. Not really bad, but for the setting (which was very nice) the food was pretty unspectacular. We are pretty informal folks, and even by out standards the meal was mediocre...so I guess I do have a gripe after all. I would not hesitate to stay at the hotel again though. Colim is a very nice Mexican city...a do arrange a trip up to the volcano...its worth it.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank jarchitect
Reviewed 29 March 2009

I choose this hotel because of it being close to the centro and they seemed professional...the truth ....THEY WANT TO SCAM YOU FOR AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY CAN..i was recommended the perfect room for me and my girlfriend over looking a impressive fountain...booked 2 months in advance..double checked 2 weeks out..even got conformation number in writing..but when i got there they wanted to put me in a room with 2 single beds at almost double the price...SINGLE BEDS FOR A ROMANTIC NIGHT..they are very professional and polite as they screw you ..bump you up in price..I SHOULD HAVE RUN AWAY...and so should you !!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mrfreezeRedDeer
Reviewed 20 July 2007

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon. We wanted to stay in Colima Centro because we had business and doctor's appointments there first thing Monday morning. We normally stay at the Ceballos where we’ve been happy but we decided to try the América this time - much to our disappointment. While the hotel looks really nice from the outside we didn't find it to be what it appeared.

It was fairly hot when we arrived so we decided to go down to the pool. The water was so turbid we could not see the bottom and it is not even a deep pool. The filter was not circulating water so they did not appear to be making any effort to clarify the water.

Since the pool was not up to standards instead of a swim we decided to have lunch in the air conditioned dining room. Entering the dining room we found the air sticky and humid, the a/c was either not functioning or it was turned off. There were five members of the staff present when we arrived. One a female who appeared to be a manager was engaged in conversation with a male dressed in a vest like a waiter. The waiter pointed to the other side of the restaurant and said they were open over there and then the female manager re-engaged him in conversation. There were also three bus boy types, not wearing vests, seated at a table sharing a cellular phone and giggling while they appeared to be text messaging. We seated ourselves and remained seated for about 10 minutes while all five staff members proceeded to completely ignore us. We then left, not generating a response from any of them upon rising from our seats. I asked at the front desk if the restaurant was indeed open and I was assured that it was.

Apart from this the pillows in our room were very old and flat and the upholstery in the room was stained and appeared dirty and unsavory. To add to the unpleasant atmosphere created by the lack of services and cleanliness there were two tour buses of what appeared to be mainly children staying at the hotel. These many children were permitted to run about the hotel screaming at the top of their lungs in the hallways with no one from the hotel staff interceding so that they would not disturb other guests.

We had planned to stay two nights but we checked out after only one, moving to Casa Alvarada B & B in Comala for our second night where we had a good night’s sleep in pleasant and clean surroundings plus an excellent breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank Nan N
Reviewed 31 March 2007

This hotel has friendly and helpful staff. It is conveniently located a five minute walk from the central zocalo. The restaurant is the best and very reasonable. There is even a small pool. The front lobby was comfortable with a pretty fountain and plants.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled solo