Hotel America
US$64
US$68
US$75
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Not bad. Not quite as grand as the beautiful historic exterior would suggest. A fairly plain hotel on the inside. The rooms need some upkeep and some TLC.

Bills itself as a convention/business hotel, but the rooms are quite plain, paint peeling, etc. The beds are big king beds, rooms are bright enough, spacious enough. Location is very good.

The first room I was given the TV was broken and there was no hot water, so I asked to be moved to another room but in the second room the lock didnt work and the shower was just one single little stream of water due to a missing spray attachment. But I didnt want to move yet again so I just stayed.

There is a pool but it's in an odd location and has no lounge chairs around it or anything, not very inviting.

Overall, it isn't bad but nothing great. The exterior really is the best part. Clean enough, central. Probably the best hotel in the center of Colima other than the Best Western Ceballos, which is a lot more expensive so not a bad choice I suppose.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank mezaco
Reviewed 17 March 2010

While it looks fine on the outside and clean in public spaces, the room was confining, circulation impossible, hot water in shower or water pressure not to be experienced. Bad room lighting and no dresser in cramped quarters. The cleaning and grounds staff do a great job, while the upper staff seems most concerned about TV. A water hose never left the lobby floor. The pool - an oversized bath, really, was scummy with no water circulating and no one daring to go in. It is a convenient locale, but avoid this place if you can...spend an extra twenty and stay on the square or the beautiful and economical Hotel Hospedajes del Rey, a few blocks away.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jesseMN
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I'm glad we stayed at the Hotel América. We went there with grave reservations because of some of the reviews on this website, but the price was right ($85 CDN) compared to the expensive Ceballos (They quoted me about $140 CDN there). We took a gamble and it paid off. Members of the staff were friendly and helpful. The service in the restaurant was next to none and the food was very good. At breakfast there was live music by a very talented pianist. One of the waiters struck my as unfriendly at first, but he warmed up eventually. Maybe he's shy.

The Hotel América is ideally situated, close to several plazas (parks), museums, and restaurants. We sometimes ate at the patio restaurant at the Hotel Ceballos, too, because of the ambiance there. But as I have already said, we also liked the atmosphere, food and great service at the Hotel América.

While we were there, we enjoyed nightly free concerts -- music and dance -- in the main plaza. They set up chairs and local people often get up and dance. It's very heart-warming! A fellow came by and spoke to us in English, explaining what was happening. We'll be back!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leona62
Reviewed 19 May 2009

My family of 3 stayed for two nights at Hotel America in Colima City. For the price (about $40 plus US) I cannot find too much to find overly critical. The location is ideal, in the heart of the Old City. The service was cordial and responsive. There is free internet service in the lobby. The room has AC (which in Colima is pretty important) and was away from traffic noise. I believe most rooms would be quiet since they primarily face an interior court. The hotel is an interesting blend of Mexican 1920's styling on the exterior and 1960's on the interior....a mishmash that somehow works. We didn't try the pool, which was pretty dinky...even though we have a teenage boy. I guess it wasn't all that inviting. The restaurant was a bit overpriced...now that I think of it. We ate there for breakfast (which the guide books recommend) and decided that, despite the convenience, once was enough. Not really bad, but for the setting (which was very nice) the food was pretty unspectacular. We are pretty informal folks, and even by out standards the meal was mediocre...so I guess I do have a gripe after all. I would not hesitate to stay at the hotel again though. Colim is a very nice Mexican city...a do arrange a trip up to the volcano...its worth it.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank jarchitect
Reviewed 29 March 2009

I choose this hotel because of it being close to the centro and they seemed professional...the truth ....THEY WANT TO SCAM YOU FOR AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY CAN..i was recommended the perfect room for me and my girlfriend over looking a impressive fountain...booked 2 months in advance..double checked 2 weeks out..even got conformation number in writing..but when i got there they wanted to put me in a room with 2 single beds at almost double the price...SINGLE BEDS FOR A ROMANTIC NIGHT..they are very professional and polite as they screw you ..bump you up in price..I SHOULD HAVE RUN AWAY...and so should you !!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple