“Run Down and not interested in travellers”

La Posada Canon Devata
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Angel
La Posada Canon Devata
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Puerto Angel
Germany
“Run Down and not interested in travellers”
Reviewed 14 May 2010

I picked this hotel out of a guide book then from reviews on the internet...not realizing they were at least 3 years old (the reviews). When I arrived the staff said they prefer "students" as the facilities were not up to par. they would not show or comment on prices as the owner was out and they wanted me to call the owner on his mobile phone (but I did not have a phone). The road in was dirty and dusty as what I saw of the premises. Nothing what was described in the book (which I am sure was clean and a good facility at that time), I did not get to see the rooms, but I had seen enough nor were they going to let me see them anyway. I got the feeling this place lost its spark a few years ago...unwelcoming

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank NomadicAdventurer

Families
Couples
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Kalamazoo, MI
Reviewed 24 June 2007

I was here for 10 days in February 2006. I felt entirely safe staying by myself (female - 55). This property is situated in a steep, quiet canyon, with lodges dotted up from the bottom to the top. My room was close to the bottom, and closest to the beach - a 2 minute walk. The room was simple but with very nice touches. The people were lovely. The food, vegetarian fully prepared in their kitchen, was always interesting and delicious, served in the open air palapa. Dinner is served family-style.

Physical limitations could possibly make getting to your room challenging as there are steps throughout the property, from bottom to top of the canyon. Being under the canopy of trees, it is quiet and cool. The lodgings at the top of the canyon are in the open air and have a fabulous view of the bay. I can't say enough good things about Canon Devata and hope to return soon.

Fran Dwight
Kalamazoo, MI USA

• Liked — Quiet clean charming
  • Disliked — There was nothing not to like, for me.
  • Stayed February 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank fdwight
Cobble Hill, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2006

Considering the great reviews we read on this location we were very dissapointed with the actual location.

The location is on a very steep hillside above the bay and is definitley not for anyone who doesn't like to climb hills. The rooms are spartan but not unpleasant however for $73 U.S. per night we felt we should be able to expect hot water and toilets that don't leak.

If this is the #1 hotel in Puetro Angel then try Huatalco or Puerto Escondido instead.

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank moreya
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 26 December 2005

It was quite a climb to the rooms in the El Cielo section of La Posada, but boy was it worth it. We had the area all to ourselves and what a view. There is a steep pot holed road up to El Cielo accessible by taxi. The rooms are all decorated by the owner's artwork. The food was great. Just cross the road and you are to a great snorkeling beach. Very tranquil water, unlike most of the Oaxaca coast. The most relaxing area of Mexico I have been to. November 2005.

14 Thank Brent G
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 December 2003

My first visit to Puerto Angel and La Posada Canon Devata was in 1986 and I've gone back a half dozen more times since then because I liked it so much. I usually stay for two or three weeks at a time giving me plenty of time to explore the many beaches in the area. In all that time it rained once for about 10 minutes and I had one day that was cloudy. Now I'm talking about going there during the winter, in January or February. The best feature though are the people who run the hotel, Mateo and his wife Cheli, and the "girls" who take care of us. Mateo and Susana (they are now divorced) conceived this place and along with their children, Kali and Darshan, developed an arid canyon into a lush forest with banana trees and flowers everywhere (they recycled their grey water to aid in this transformation). They then built bungalows on the sides of the canyon to compliment the main guest house and restaurant. Their restaurant is vegetarian (they do serve fish once a week), with vegitables grown organically by friends in the Oaxacan mountains. I was so impressed to be able to eat a spinach salad in Mexico. You see they also have a special water filtration system which allows them to wash their vegetables in safe water, and you can drink the water from the carafe's in your room.And the place is really unique, filled with unusual art objects including statues, and paintings by Mateo. There are lots of hammocks and hanging swings to relax in, and several meditation "temples" to reflect in.There are numerous beaches to swim and snorkle at and some really nice restaurants, my favorite being Beto's, on the road between the main town and Playa Panteon. I love his fresh caught huachinango (Pacific red snapper).The biggest drawback is there isn't really any nightlife.
No disco's to keep you up all night. But I've found I can live with that. Also since the nearest bank is a half hour away in Pochutla, change,"cambio", can be hard to come by.I would recomend Puerto Angel and La Posada Canon Devata to anyone who wants to get away from the normal, crowded, loud tourist spots: somone who just wants to layback and relax. And with an airport an hour away in Huatulco, it is easy to reach. And if you tire of the beaches, you can always go north to the beautiful city of Oaxaca up in the mountains.

31 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 November 2001

Mateo Lopez, owner and creator of Posada Canon Devata in Puerto Angel, has devoted his life to regrowing the deforested rainforest in a little canyon at the outskirts of Puerto Angel. In addition, he has created an ecological oasis for his guests. His lovely, rustic inn is scattered on steep slopes throughout his regrown forest, connected by a maze of pathways and stairs. Self composting toilets, gray water directed to watering plants, and minimal use of power all attest to Mateo's dedication to environmental stewardship. Guests are showered with personal attention, including visits to Mateo's studio (he is a painter), personal conversations with Mateo and his lovely wife, Cheli, over meals or coffee, and specially prepared organic food. Posada Canon Devata is serene and beautiful, only a minute's walk from the best beach in Puerto Angel, and an environmental wonder. Don't miss this place!
Warning. It is rustic. If you are fond of hot showers and bright lights, or if you have trouble climbing stairs, you may want a more typical accomodation. For the adventurous seeking something less touristy, this is an experience not to be missed!

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#4 of 7 in Puerto Angel
Posada Buena Vida
Posada Buena Vida
#3 of 5 in Zipolite

Been to La Posada Canon Devata? Share your experiences!