“Wonderful place for renewal. relaxing, and enjoying beauty”
Review of Bahia de la Luna

Bahia de la Luna
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Puerto Angel
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Bahia de la Luna is a retreat from the pace of life, even for those who live in Mexico. It has seclusion, beauty, good food and warm staff and interesting guests.
There are individual cabins, simple, with thatched roofs, and bathrooms. The water is warm from the sun, but not hot.
The meals were prepared by the resident chef and were delicious. The included breakfast could be varied.
While we were there a giant sea turtle came on shore, made a nest, lead her eggs and disappeared back into the ocean.
There is limited to no wifi so being there is a times to live unwired, unwired and enjoy beauty,sunshine, and each moment.
I was there with my husband and one dear friend.

Room Tip: ask for a room without steps if you have any sort of walking problem
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jjenya

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We just spent a memorable 5 days at this gorgeous, hidden beach resort helping a friend celebrate her birthday. Bahia de la Luna has absolutely everything we needed for a vacation. The rooms are individual palapas. Ours was called Neptuna and was right on the beach at the end of the property which we loved for its slight isolation from the other rooms - but every one of the accommodations had something special to offer. The higher ones had magnificent views. The food is the best we have EVER eaten at a Mexican resort- and we have been to many Mexican resorts all over the country. The beach is wide and sandy, the kayaks are free as is the snorkeling equipment. My biggest concern is always having enough shade and Bahia de la Luna has ample. Finally, unlike several of our experiences on Caribbean islands, the staff is extraordinarily friendly, and speak as much English as is necessary. The lovely American owners, George and Lauda were delightful, interesting hosts who were well informed about local and National politics ( they also have a home in San Miguel). We would send anyone to this resort who wanted a well - priced, relaxing week.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for Neptuna. For a view, any of the higher ones.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank NIcoleLarry
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I kinda don't want to tell anyone about Bahia de la Luna because I want to keep it all to myself. What an amazing place, made even better by the adventure of getting to it. Its secluded at the end of a windy, bendy dirt road but its worth every little bump along the way. This place over delivers on everything that matters - a beautiful beach, comfy beds with great sheets, terrific food, a great bar and really friendly, dedicated staff. I stayed in a bungalow close to the beach with a hammock hanging outside my front door, I took the water taxi over to Puerto Angel for a walk-about, kayaked, ran on the beach and snorkeled. The best part though was just sitting under a "palapa" for hours at a time, snoozing, chatting with people or reading my book. Oh and the stars at night - no light pollution means the most incredible display of stars.

I've seen comments about the fact the place is not plumbed for hot water but here's the thing - the weather is beautiful and you don't need it and I really appreciate Bahia's commitment to the environment. And yes, its a forest/beach so there are occasional creepy crawlys but the beds are encased in super high tech mosquito nets.

I just got back last night and I'm already planning my return!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the bungalows. I stayed in and loved "Urano" (they'...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jreindorp
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Don't be put off by the long bumpy ride from the main road--it's just natural camouflage for one of the last truly unspoiled beaches anywhere. This place is a wonder--a scattering of palapa-topped casita's cluster on the hillside just above the beach. The majestic views from just about anywhere on the property are dazzling. Meals are served outdoors on the patio; breakfast and lunch are simple and delicious, dinner more elaborate. We found it wasn't worth the hassle to go off campus for food (though the Monday market in Pochutla was well worth an excursion). There's no hot water in the shower, no pool, no gym, the internet is iffy, and your cell phone won't work, at least, ours didn't. But the food was inspired and delicious, the tab was disgracefully low, and the staff was unstintingly friendly and helpful. After many beach vacations in Mexico, this was easily the best. We'll be back soon. I'm sorry to tell anyone about this place, but they deserve to be full.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Azackheim
Reviewed 13 August 2013

It often takes a bad experience to show the true colours of a person, and Bahia de la Luna truly passed the test.

I kept putting off writing a review due to being busy, lazy and then just plain forgetting, but when I stayed in February, I was really impressed with the level of service and caring that the staff showed.

Just to go over some of the obvious:This is definitely the place you want to go to if you're looking for a secluded slice of beach life. It's snug inbetween the many clefts the sea has pounded into the side of the rocky Oaxacan coast, and this is what I went there for. It was quiet, it was beautiful and unexpectedly abounding with wildlife. Over the course of a week I saw two different sea turtles lay eggs on the beach, a whale, and more aquatic fish I've seen outside of a pet store. It was amazing. Maybe a little less comfortably I had a small crab in my room, but he was easily scooped up into a bowl and let outside.

Now where I had a bad experience was that I got sick, like stomach sick. Now before you start wondering, oh my God, what kind of place is this? I was the only one at the resort who made friends with the toilet. I was eating everything else that the American, British and European guests were eating, so it seems my stomach doesn't seem to acclimatize well to the mildly exotic and on this particular trip, oh man did it ever not like whatever it was that I ate - a total shame because the dinners were really good! In anycase, I won't go into detail, but it wasn't pleasant.

When I finally emerged in the morning from my private cabana hut to get some water, the staff immediately noticed I was sick. The chef took a particular interest and went ahead to make homemade oatmeal - the recipe his own mother used for him when he was sick - so I could eat something. When I finally ate it, I was truly grateful to have it.

The final trial was when I ventured into town to go buy some souvenirs and realized I had no money. Did you know that your bank will cut off service from your bank account if you try to withrdaw from a bank machine in rural Mexico? They sure do! I'm sure whatever alarm bells that went off were warranted because understandably it must have seemed strange that I was suddenly withdrawing cash several thousand kilometres from where I normally do in a whole other language, but nonetheless it left me cashless. Cue me wandering up and down the hillside hoping to get some sort of cellular service so I could beg my bank to reinstate my card but to no avail.

Anyway, I ended up having to speak with the secretary and telling her that due to my new financial situation, I might not be able to cover the bill. They don't really take credit card there you see due to the lack of infrastructure out in that part of Mexico, they more or less take paypal or even more strictly cash, which I did not have. Again, the staff was remarkably understanding, coming up with different ways of me paying that would not result in me serving tables at the Bahia for the rest of my life. The chef even shared a moment when he had all of his accounts locked in Switzerland. Lesson learned, they let me call Visa to reinstate my card, so I could use paypal to pay for the hotel.

It wasn't the smoothest experience I've ever had, but I was very thankful for the staff. They were attentive and caring in every sense, and had this happened at a Hilton or a Sheraton, I'm not sure what the results would have been.

On a more positive note I'd like to give my thanks to the owner, George, and his family for inviting me to dine with them when they noticed I was travelling alone. Yet another example of the kind of place this is. You can't pay for that level of comfort.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Matthew K
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We had a lovely evening at the hotel. Normally, we wouldn't have stayed here as there were few amenities. Hotel says that they have WiFi, but it's weak, almost non-existent. No a/c - and it was warm. Not very good food; difficult to locate the hotel as few directions and the road to the hotel was difficult and likely impassable in a rainstorm (only a concern in the summer). But still, after all that we had a lovely time. Met some very nice people, and enjoyed ourselves immensely. The hotel is reasonably priced, perhaps they should consider increasing the price and add a few amenities.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LaCruz
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Spent 3 nights at Bahia and it was fantastic. The property is beautiful, room had a view of the ocean, the setting is gorgeous. Need to be aware that is is quite remote, and all your meals will be eaten at the resort. While breakfast is included, the other meals are extra. The food is fabulous and the prices are reasonable. Betty the manager was very attentive and accommodated our children's picky tastes in meals. Margaritas are delicious. Great place to hang in a hammock and read and listen to the surf.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 7 in Puerto Angel
Hotel Nude Zipolite
Hotel Nude Zipolite
#2 of 6 in Zipolite

Been to Bahia de la Luna? Share your experiences!