Thalatta Resort
Acqua Dive(Zamboanguita)
US$67
US$58
Agoda.com
Wellbeach Dive Resort(Zamboanguita)(Great Value!)
US$52
US$67
US$64
US$36
Agoda.com
Mike's Dauin Beach Resort(Dauin)(Great Value!)
US$62
Hotels.com
US$230
US$223
Travelocity
Hotels.com
All reviewsdive shopthe ownerapo islandrestaurant stafffishrooms are cleanmedium sizefilipino breakfastbreakfast tablemini bartour guidenice pooldumaguete cityhigh tidebeach frontenjoyed my staybig bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

I have spent 5 days at Thalatta Resort and fall in love with it. It has a very beautiful and well kept landscape, great salt water pool which is clean and good size. Most of the bungalows are surrounding the pool and with good view of both the sea and the pool. There are many trees around the pool which provides shades for the sun loungers.

The room facilities are adequate with well function air-con, cable TV with many good channels, WiFi, mini bar, nice size room and clean bathroom. The water pressure of the shower is good and I don't have problem with hot water supply.

This is the best place to stay if you want to dive Apo Island, it's right opposite and about 20-30 min by boat. I dive in Dauin for 1 day and 2 days at Apo. You can have the restaurant to prepare pack-lunch for u the night before. It's very good value and it's 3 course with salad, main and dessert with 2 soft drinks. Or you can have lunch on Apo Island which I did on my last day.

The Negros Diver is running the dive centre and is very organized. The dive equipments are in good condition and the dive guide Naudi is very pleasant and funny.

I dine every night in the Thalatta restaurant. The chief is excellent, I love all the dishes. I didn't feel bored eating here everyday. It's at very reasonable price.

I would love to come back again in near future.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Uffizi930
Reviewed 10 June 2013

It is hard to come to a final judgement on this resort. There are plenty of really good things to comment on. The food in the restaurant is very well done and big portions. Considering you are a bit of a captive audience the prices are very reasonable. The view from the restaurant is great. The grounds are very attractive, and the salt water swimming pool is just totally wonderful. When you have come back from a day's diving, jumping in the pool and just lying in it and relaxing was one of the great joys of the holiday. Then there were lots of big sun loungers to fall back on and doze or read. The Wifi was fine, much better than expected in such an out of the way resort. It was quiet, which is great as when you are diving you go to bed early. I many ways this was perfect dive resort.

But there is a but. The room was large with a sizeable verandah, but the wardrobe was squeezed into the bathroom and difficult to get at. It only had four thin plastic hangers in it so it was difficult to get at your clothes and put them away as they were all hung together. There was a problem with hot water, which was run through an electric heat exchanger that did not work well, so we had to shower in tepid water; if you turned the flow down so the water became hot(ish) there was not enough power to get it into the shower, and if you turned it up to get a decent shower it ran cold. The bed (foam mattress) had seen better days and was not that comfortable. The towels could do with renewing. we were provided with soap, but no shampoo or shower gel. Although not necessary - and we always carry our own - you kind of expect this, even in basic accodation. The soap ran out during out stay and was not replaced. The TV was set up unnecessarily high, and had a lip on the shelf, which meant that you could not lie in the bed and use the remote, but had to stand up so the TV could see the remote signal. This is a minor point, but you realised that nobody in the resort had "tested" room.

The verandah did have a couple of big comfy chairs to sit in, and we hadn't sat in a comfy chair for some time. So another positive. The staff were helpful. When my wife developed a sore throat they offered and made her a hot honey and lemon drink.

With the above caveats I would recommend this resort, especially if you wish to dive Apo Island.
And if you go, make sure you go and snorkel with the whale sharks on Cebu Island.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Casterbridge
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Positive aspects were the very nice saltwater pool and the walking distance to Dumaguete and the Wednesday Malatapay market. The market is well worth a visit, mainly before 8am as the livestock market closes then (which in my opinion is the most interesting part of the market). I would also recommend visiting the city of Dumuaguete (approx. 30 minutes by car) with its market, boulevard and excellent restaurants.

The feelings about the service quality are mixed. I was irritated by the kind of intercourse of the chef with its staff. The kitchen window was open and mainly during breakfast the rude tone was disturbing. I am aware that the “kitchen language” is special but as a guest I would not like to hear it. Furthermore, the restaurant staff looked not very motivated and there were one or two ladies whom I saw hardly smile during our 4 day stay.

While the surrounding was fine (pool, room, garden, etc.), service could be improved. All in all, the resort was unfortunately not able to keep up with the others we stayed in during our Philippines trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bkker
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Do I sing the praises or keep this one the secret treasure it is?? We traveled as a small group of 5. The hotel was just great. The breakfast, included with the rooms, was more than enough and was always quiet nice. The lunch and dinners were well presented and spectacular in taste. Because it is a small resort, you will eat there many times. Between us, we had 40 different meals and no one was disappointed at any time. The restaurant staff certainly do a great job to prepare and present your meals. The rooms were clean and well kept. Everything was in working order. We walked to the Market. We took the boat to Apo Island. We walked along to the shore and spoke with some of the native islanders. After day one, we had already made the decision to return there for our next trip. It was that nice. The salt water pool is incredible. Some people have written it was too warm, but I'm thinking it was too right. Some have been bothered by the waves hitting the seawall. seriously? You wake up next to the ocean, the palms waving in the wind and the sea splashing the barrier between yourself and itself. it was truly amazing. Above all though, the staff...that is the key and they were spot on. beautiful smiles really exuded the feeling of the Philippines. thank you a thousand times over.

Room Tip: When you book your rooms, if you even remotely think the beautiful sound of the waves will bother you, then ask them to not put you on wall. we stayed in the Sequihor (sp?) room and could only hear the waves when the door was open. Relax.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank longlongwayfromhome
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We spent three nights at Thalatta over Easter. We went for diving on Apo, and the hotel was able to organize the dives and snorkeling on the Island wth a lovely boat with excellent equipment. It aso has a beautiful breakfast, and great fresh seafood, in a restaurant on the edge of the sea, looking towards Apo. Rooms are very nice, great terrraces/outdoor lounge space for each room. Salt water pool was however too warm to enjoy in hot season! We loved our day trips to Apo, as well as evening and morning walks in surrounding villages, incredibly peaceful and welcoming. Day Trip to Lake Balanon was okay, but not so exciting.

Room Tip: Good to choose one closer to the sea.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family