“Great Diving Lessons”
Review of Thalatta Resort

Thalatta Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Zamboanguita
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed at this resort for 5 days in early August, 2014. This is a small resort, but has enough facilities to relax. We spent most of our time taking open water diving lessons. The "Fre-nglish" spoken French instructor was excellent. As others write, the food in this resort is very tastey and cheap. If you want to enjoy nice food with resornable price, this is the resort. The price of their drinks are also resonable. People, staff and guests were all very friendly. And they loved being "quiet".

There is not much to see around the resort, but it was always very nice to walk outside of the resort a bit in the morning. Town people were also very friendly. There is no sandy beach, but rocky shore when the tide is low. But you can still walk along the beach when the tide is low and watch local people catching crabs.

The only negative side was smelly smoke from local people burning garbage. I do not care much about the smoke burning natural things like wood or grass, but the smell of burning plastics bothered us a lot. I know the resort cannot control what local people doing, but it was pitty because everything else was just perfect.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank puchg350

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I visited the place in July.
I had an amazing good time relaxing in the beautiful garden and enjoyed the Swiss Chef food every day.
My room was silent and very comfortable,only a few steps from the pool and the shore as well.
All the staff is welcoming and very happy to serve you in the best way.

I enjoyed my all my dives in Apo and Dauin, and would like to give a big applause to the dive center team.
Not only professional and enthusiastic team, they have built an artificial reef just in front of the resort.

The reef is cubic, made of concrete.
It sunks at -21 meters and is about 3m wide and 3m high.
Already quiet a few fishes, shrimps, ..., have made it their home place.

A very good idea, for the ecosystem point of view, and it adds interest to the already very interesting muck dive that is their house reef.

You can see pictures of the reef in Thalatta Resort Facebook's page.

Don't miss the opportunity to enjoy a good time, both under and above the surface, enjoy Thalatta

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank bulleur f
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed here for maybe a week last year, and enjoyed it then. This year I stayed another week.

If you set aside the obvious pros, great and tranquil location for a low price, the one thing that needs to be mentioned is the food. Just EXCELLENT for the price compared to everything else I have ever tried in the Philippines. Not fancy but just always tasty and well prepared. I could seriously eat their food the rest of my life and be happy with it. Not to mention the prices are very affordable for the quality you get. I have never spoken to the chef but he seems French, and he obviously knows how to run a kitchen.

Also, last year i had some issues with their wifi. No problems at all this time around. maybe not the fastest but considering this is hardly metro manila, it exceeded my expectations and worked well.

The staff was great.
All of them friendly, helpful and attentive.
Bog improvement from last year when it was more "hit and miss".
I think I complained that time about this, and it seems they absolutely did something about it.

Come for the location and the great value. Stay for the food.

Room Tip: We have tried Zambales, Camiguin and Cebu. Cebu seemed more run down than the other two, especially...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John L
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Lovely resort with good food, friendly staff and clean rooms. Great pool. Free breakfast is a combination of buffet and 200 pesos from the menu - great idea and deal. View on Apo island
Sand beach is gone since 2012.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Weiguoren
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I had a great experience in this place. Their food was really good, very nice pool and accommodating people. So high five to this resort! Thanks a bunch to them that made my girlfriend so happy! Can't wait to go back in this place next year.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2014

As others have mentioned, cheap cold beer, no beach to speak of, very great employees, great food.
The resort caters to scuba divers and has a nice 2 boat setup. As a snorkeler, they tried to accomodate but over 2 trips it was not so good for me.
The Caron room was spotlessly clean with no bugs at all, the bathroom was very large and clean. The foam pad on my bed was adequate and as another noted, the minibar is full of cold beer at 60P.
The dive shop fellows were very nice and I picked up a 5 and 10 liter dry bag there. Good thing I did as the trip to shore from the boat to APO Island will soak all your things.
I spoke with the owner Patrick Hascoet and he has plans for a smaller boat to make beach based snorkeling more enjoyable in the future.
The food was great at the restaurant and as yet again, another reviewer pointed out that the food tends to be slightly overcooked unless you specify lightly cooked. Our marlin steaks and pork chops were overcooked as we failed to specify but still good. The filet beef steak was cooked perfectly at medium. The vegetable sides tend to be chayote and carrot mixtures, OK but bland.
The bread was outstanding! It is purchased every morning from The French Pantry in town and was great! Kudos to Patrick for knowing that sliced plain bread is not for foodies such as I.
The wine list was good, I ordered a few different bottles and they chill on request if it is not in the 2 seperate wine coolers already.
The Chefs spaghetti was worth noting, the carbonara has a packaged sauce, better to avoid that as I suppose heavy cream is impossible to find in the area.

Room Tip: Caron was nice for me. All room are just stepa away from bar and restaurant. I suggest buying a SIM...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our holiday gateaway was indeed good, relaxing, and worth the long travel from cebu city. Resort staff is very much accomodationg, thrilling as it is we booked our room a night before amidst peak season...thanks to the guests who have shortened their stay...made our vacation to this resort possible. We are very happy with the service, staff are very friendly...its very natural for them to greet every guest they meet, even kuya gardener will give a smile and greet us good day. Enjoyed the children caroling as well.

Majority of the guests are foreigners with their families. Very friendly at that. During the day they will go for activities outside the resort and yes the place is very peaceful and soooo relaxing. Food is just and reasonable.

Wanted to try the chinese suction cups massage but to no avail...learned from the therapist it should be prepared ahead and no more time to prepare it, tried the combi massage instead.

Overall experience is great and wished to visit sometime again soon to experience what we've missed: the wednesday malatapay market and the apo island adventure (:_;)

Room Tip: dont go for rooms nearest to the restaurant. the sheets, curtains are old. aircon not functioning we...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nancy v
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zamboanguita
0 mi away
Hotel Essencia
Hotel Essencia
#14 of 36 in Dumaguete City
Atlantis Dive Resorts Dumaguete

Been to Thalatta Resort? Share your experiences!