“Oasis From The Outside World”

Gamma de Fiesta Americana Xalapa Nubara
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Xalapa
Riverside, California
“Oasis From The Outside World”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Booked three nights while in Xalapa in hopes of finding English-speaking staff, reliable internet, good dining options, and very comfortable bed, and a bathroom with consistent hot water. The hotel's website boasts awesome mountain and city views. That is probably only from the top floor. I appreciated the room overlooking the pool as opposed to the other side overlooking a giant supermarket parking lot. Staff is very friendly and helpful and somewhat English speaking. Rooms are clean and the bathrooms with large showers. Beds are rock hard, and I nearly opted to sleep on the floor. Wireless internet was spotty at best. The advertised wired internet was nonexistent except for the CAT5 plug in. We spent a couple of hours looking for a store in Xalapa that carried a CAT5 cord because the hotel did not offer any. Finally found one after a wild-goose chase around town (very frightening traffic) and then found the wired internet does not work. What a waste of time. We walked from downtown to the hotel to get some exercise one evening. Beware of the pack of feral dogs that live in the forest adjacent to the hotel. Property is very close to Museo de Antropología de Xalapa. You will regret not visiting this museum. Signage only in Spanish, however. Elegant dining options. Delicious food albeit somewhat pricey.

Room Tip: One of the best on-site gyms ever! Lots of cardio and other work-out equipment, a steam room, a sau...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed at the crowne plaza from 11/5 to 11/7. Im actually still in the hotel as I write this. The hotel is quite good, the rooms on the 5th floor, which is the crown floor (business floor) are clean and all appliances and services work.

However, all this fails to be good, when I check into my room and I have no soap in the shower, nor in the sink area. I had to go down to the front desk because they never brought it up. We also missed 1 towel, 3 of us in the room, and I had to ask for it the next day. My reservation clearly stated we were a party of 3.

The internet works but intermintently, I'm sitting in the crowne club room, and there's a coffee stain on the floor since I arrived. It's right next to the serving area, which hasn't been cleaned in days. I left pieces of bread on the floor on purpouse and they're still there. The trash hasn't been picked since yesterday, and the toilet is stained, and hasn't been cleaned.

I had to call the front desk to have breakfast here on 11/6 because the room was just not setup, they told me I needed to go downstairs to eat at huapango, but as a platinum member of IHG program, I am entitled to have breakfast at the crown club, as stated in the letter I received when I checked in. And my keys didn't open the crowne club, and I had to go down again to get them because no one came up, when they said they would.

It is a bit dissapointing that such a nice property, and it is; it's not well taken care of, cleaning is an important part of a hotel, and this one is lacking a lot of attention in that regard.

Attention must be payed to this details.

Luigi Forestieri
Platinum Member

Room Tip: Crowne floor. 5th floor, facing the pool. receives less noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lforest
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Gamma de Fiesta Americana Xalapa Nubara, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear lforest,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am pleased to know that you find our hotel good. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have stayed before in this facility, but lately have moved to boutique hotels in the area. I decided to give a new try, but was terrible. Internet did not work at all, there is no safe box in the rooms, there is a place for a servibar built in each room but no servibar at all. At least now they did have a bath rope which was one of my observations years ago.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ETame
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Gamma de Fiesta Americana Xalapa Nubara, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear ETame,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced over the unsatisfactory internet service. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and take actions accordingly. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Case Manager
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

we stayed a week at the Crowne Plaza Xalapa; the reservation was made for us by the Universidad Veracruzana, who also provided transport, since the hotel is about 20-25 minutes from downtown, depending on traffic (which can be bad); some attractions, such as the excellent Museum of Anthropology, are close by and walkable. The hotel was good value; the food was very good and reasonably priced; there is an OK gym and a very nice pool (deserted, since it was late March, but perfectly swimmable). With the odd exception, the staff were friendly and helpful. There was one drawback: the day we arrived a wedding fiesta was getting underway; we therefore asked for a room that was high and remote (from the marquee where the fiesta was); in fact the room overlooked it, on the 3rd floor, so we had the full benefit of thumping bass all evening. When we inquired (about 7pm) we were told it wd stop at 9pm, (I was very doubtful). At 10pm, with the room still reverberating, we called again and were told midnight. The racket finally stopped at 2 am. By then I had decamped to the bathroom to sleep on the floor; it was uncomfortable but quieter. By the way, I always carry and in such situations use earplugs; they help, but can't do much about a pulsating bass. Fortunately, this was a one-off; the other six nights we slept like babes. I have had similar experiences elsewhere in Mexico (and occasionally in Spain); the only recourse is (i) watch out for signs of impending festivities, especially at weekends; (ii) stress the need for a room as far away from the noise as possible; and (iii) don't believe what they tell you about closing time. Otherwise, our stay at the Crowne Plaza was fine; and Xalapa is a nice city.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Gamma de Fiesta Americana Xalapa Nubara, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear alanlid,

Thank you for your review. I'm deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced.
We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve.
I am glad to hear the other 6 days you were hear were very satisfactory.

Katie J
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I travel 200 days a year. I have stayed frequently in Crowne Plaza Hotels. I think this hotel should not qualify for this status. The VIP room in the executive floor is very bad. Few amenities and only at morning and afternoon. No drinks any other time, no sodas only for afternoon. No refrigeraton. No service at all. When we got to the VIP room the two tables were dirty and there was no silverwear. The internet did not work correctly. There was an alarm two nights in a row at 2 AM, and in one of the days another at 3.30AM. No bath rubs in rooms and few towels.

Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank ETame
elmexingles
Reviewed 27 April 2009

Great location in Xalapa. Brilliant rooms, great breakfast choice, corteous staff and the best matress i think I have slept on! Definitely the best hotel for me in Xalapa.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple