“What a NIGHTMARE this place was....left after one night!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“What a NIGHTMARE this place was....left after one night!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

We stayed in Nuevo Vallarta 2 years ago at the Flamingos. When researching, I decided to try the Dreams because Costco travel had rated this place as a Deluxe hotel, all inclusive with 5 restaurants. I figured since they had rated the Flamingos as a Moderate hotel.....this would be unbelievable. Boy were we in for a surprise. First of all, our flight had been delayed an hour. So instead of arriving at 4:35, we got in at 5:35. When we checked in a the hotel, we were told our room wasn't ready. It's like 120 degrees outside, we are hot, sweaty, hungry and sitting in this "open air" lobby hearing this news. So we decide to put a smile on our face and make the best of it and go get some much needed food. The only restaurant open at this time is outside. We walk up and the waitor tells me that we cannot eat there as they have a dress code. I look around and see a bunch of men wearing crappy t-shirts and shorts, but I am turned away because I have a "nice" tank top on. I'm told I have to wear a blouse to eat there. How ridiculous is this?? We are in MEXICO, it's HOT and this is an outdoor restaurant. So we start back to our room to change. Let me also inform you that our room is in the last building in the back of the resort. The condo's have the best location in front. So it feels like we walk 5 miles and go up the super hot elevator to the 7th floor, and the maid still isn't done with our room. We end up kicking her out before she can finish because we are famished. We try to call for room service and they tell us that it will be 40 min before we can get any food....which consist of crap we don't want to eat anyway (wings, fries, etc..). We then decide to take a shower and get dressed up for dinner so we can go eat at one of the indoor restaurants. I put on a nice sundress and my partner puts on a pair of nice kakhi dress shorts, and a short sleeved button up shirt. We start on our 5 mile hike back down to have Mexican food. When we get upstairs to the empty restaurant, we are told they are closed for the night. This wasn't something that was mentioned on the website.....I thought we would have choices to 5 restaurants for the entire stay?? We then decide to try the only other open besides the one that we were already turned away from - so we go next door to Italian. When we get to the door, they turn us away for not having long pants on. Are you kidding me????? So we end up eating at the outside seafood restaurant. Totally irritated by this point. I can't begin to tell you how miserable and hot it was. Also, the menu is extremely limited. We order, the food arrives and it's horrible. My steak was totally overcooked and everything else was bland. After dinner we looked around the resort and noticed that there is hardly any shade. This place is very modern looking - not tropical at all. They have a few palm trees that seem about 4 ft tall. We couldn't imagine sitting out by the pool in the heat of the day. Later that night, we went up to the Sushi bar for a late night snack. The sushi menu offers about 4 generic rolls. This place is totally not how I expected.

The next morning, we left to go back to Flamingos. When we tried to check out of Dreams and get a refund, the management told us that Costco had submitted a cancellation for us and we would have to give them a credit card to pay for the previous night. I had my entire receipt and confirmation in hand and we set there and argued with them for 2 hours. It was ridiculous. Absolutely NO customer service at all. We couldn't get a hold of Costco because they were closed for labor day. I was in tears and literally scared by them holding us hostage there. We asked to see the cancellation notice and she refused. At that point, she finally let us go and we are still trying to re-coupe our cost from Costco. I will NEVER stay at this hotel or any of the other Dreams for that matter. I'm so glad we were able to transfer to the beautiful Flamingos. If we wouldn't have left, our trip would have been ruined. If you want a NICE resort, with a NICE beach and the BEST food and service......stay at Villa Del Palmar Flamingos. It's our 3rd time (Cabo, and 2x's in PV) with the group and we will not venture out from them again.

Oh and one more thing....the nightly entertainment was a joke. They had a "Circus" theme the one night we were there.......we sat by the pool and just shook our heads.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank californiafunsun7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
Austin, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

The room made our delayed honeymoon worth the trip to Dreams Villamagna, but the food was a disgrace. I expected to at least get authentic and delicious Mexican food, but even this was over cooked, under spiced, and very disappointing overall. Beach/pool service was spotty at best and tips were expected. Drinks were consistently made differently and you could not count on a decent margarita unless naming your tequila, asking for rocks, and requesting Grand Marnier or another liqueur to be added.

I do recommend Paco for a massage in the spa. He was great. The sauna was broken and super hot and cold plunge pools looked unclean with gunk on the tiled walls. Gross!

The nightly turndown service was nice. Bath drawn in the evenings certainly helped make up for other low points. The upgrade to an ocean view room was worth it to us. The water was murky and we wish we had returned to Hawaii or gone on the Caribbean side for better waters and snorkeling off the beach (instead of a 7 hour day trip to the Marietas Islands, which had poor visibility and crowded snorkeling).

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CTfromATX
saskatoon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

We stayed at Dreams Villamagna Sept 5th - 12th and here is my review:
Location:
We loved the location it was very private and beautiful. There was security everywhere and taxis always needed to check in to get to the property.
It is only a 5min cab ride to Bucerias and 60 pesos. Nice quiet little town with some markets. 10 mins from Airport. And 20mins to Puerto Vallarta and 16pesos.

Rooms:
Beautiful rooms nice big beds and loved the balconies we used the jacuzzi every night we would put cool water in there and it would be a great way to cool off for the night.

Service:
Was excellent someone was always there to help you or answer your questions. Ivan was the best waiter at Sea Side Grill, Jesus and Manuel will take care of your drink orders on the beach and always with a smile. And Julio is great at the entertainment and a blast.

Resort:
Not a party resort very quiet and relaxing and never rush rush. Beautiful beach and pools.

Food:
Food was very good and lots of different choices. Sea side grill was our favourite. Portofino was excellent.

5 Thank jodiranger
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

It is a very clean and spacious - pools, lobby, rooms, etc... All personel are very friendly and kind.
Can go travelling to many places around with a very inexpensive taxi rate. Most of the places are within 25 minutes or less. Like Puerto Vallarta, Punta de Pita, Bucerias and many other places. Great entertainment every night and great activities for all the family.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank FredyChicago
Plano, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

My Husband and I stayed at Dreams Villamagna from August 9th to August 15th for our Honeymoon. The flight there could have been better considering American Airlines lost my husbands luggage, we got it back the next day, but I won’t forget crying as we traveled through customs and the awful sales people. We found our ride quite easily in the crowd and headed to the hotel. Of coarse check in isn’t till 3pm and they don’t joke about it.
Hotel
What I didn’t realize about Vallarta, and I should have looked into it further before we went here, was how HOT it was going to be in August. It was almost miserable HOT. We are from Texas, we know hot pretty well, but this was unbearable. Also, I didn’t know that ALL of the restaurants at Villamagna are open air, No A/C. Some of them are closed in, where you don’t get outside air, but none are actually have A/C. So we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner in the heat. The only place we got relief was in our room. Even at the pools after about noon, it was like sitting in a bath tub.
Rooms
The rooms were very nice, open, contemporary and cold, we kept the A/C on low. The only issue I had with our room was privacy. The window curtains stayed closed for most of the trip because the people next door could peak around the wall on the patio quite easily and see the entire room. Also there is a room service door where they can put your food instead of coming in the room, but the door on the inside had cracks in it to where, if someone was snoopy they could peek in. When we closed the outside door, someone would always come around and open it. I also woke up one day to the inside door wide open, which was weird considering the latch was pretty tough to get loose.
The food was only ok. We ate at the world buffet for almost the entire trip, except for the 1 time at Portofino, which wasn’t that great and The Mexican place which was pretty good, but was closed for most of the remaining trip. Room service always took a while, the first time we ordered, the order was wrong and food was cold, not good, but the 2nd time was great, got to us hot and fresh, so I guess 2nd time was the charm.
Service at the hotel was very good. The waiters and hostesses were very courteous and attentive. The drinks were quite good, very large selection. You could probably order anything that you wanted. Our favorite was the Lobby bar. My favorite was the lime and strawberry margarita mixed together.

This was a good Honeymoon, because we got our trip for so cheap, so for us, it was worth it and good enough for the money we paid. But if I would have booked on another website and paid more, I would probably be writing a much worse review. We had a good trip with no regrets. Thanks for reading and if you have any questions you can message me, I would be glad to answer them!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LaurenKay4
CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2009

At first I thought this place was great!...we were greeted with drinks as soon as we got off the taxi in the lobby. Check in was great & easy. Rooms were nicely kept and AC on full blast. All room come with open-mini bar that they replenish daily. So here are my pro and cons about this place:

Pro:
-Clean rooms
-away from hussle and bussle of PV
-Bartenders, wait staff are nice and friendly

Cons:
-No Drinks in the pool!! They harrass you about making sure drinks stay outside the pool to a point that you dont want to drink anymore. Security came up and asked me to place drink behind concrete line..I did so and would drink then place my drink back behind line. He then comes over again minutes later and said..I must drink outside the pool! grrrrr! very annoying.

-Food sucks!....consists of Hamburgers and french fries. Since all drinks and food is included food isnt their best here. We found ourselves only snacking here and going out to area restaurants to eat.

-Consoeurs- were worthless! Most of the time these workers spend most of the time just surfing the internet and were no great help. I asked one of the young ladies working this desk to refer us to a great quiet romantic setting restaurant..I had something special planned for my partner..she instisted we go to this restaurant and assured me it would be great. We show up and it was karaoke night!!!!...grrrr! I was pissed. All she had to do was get off her a** and make a couple of calls but that was too much for her.

-Food staff- (cooks)- are not very friendly..just kinda ehh about everything.

-Nuevo Vallarta Taxis hate driving to Puerto Vallarta...they immediately try and take you the other way. closer to their area. (so this is more of a location con then a hotel con)

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2009

I highly value the opinions and recommendations of actual travelers. Before I booked the all inclusive trip to this hotel, I read the reviews on this website which is a mixed bag of good and bad. but I gave still gave this place a chance.

I would say that for this hotel to claim a 5-star status, very much is left to be desired from its management's treatment of its guests. Simple requests such as replenishment of toiletries (after calling housekeeping) and tea (from room service) 3 days in a row were totally ignored and without explanation. We went to the front desk to call their attention about these situations and asked to speak with the manager. We were told that there was no manager on duty. The non-caring attitiude and response of the front desk and concierge staff was terribly disappointing; aggravated by the hotel manager's absence and non-response. Twice I followed up with the day and night duty front desk individuals, to confirm if the manager received our complaint, not a word was heard (to explain or apologize) even up to the day we checked out and came back to the US. I do not think that this is the standard that Dreams expects from its managers and staff. What was the problem with the requests? I never knew.

One other issue - bring a wad of change either in dollars or pesos. The hotel never seem to have them. You will hear the same response - "sorry we ran out". (everyday? everytime?). I emphatically explained to the front desk and concierge manager that the reason we wanted change, even though we had an all inclusive package that include gratuity, was to be able to hand tips to the bell man, restaurant waiters and bar servers. Being fully aware of the economic situation of these workers, we wanted to hand tips all the time to help augment their income. The hotel made that almost impossible. We ended up getting change from taxi drivers or shops when we leave the hotel. I cannot believe how arrogant and cold the staff were in spite of explaining our intent. Is it because they will not benefit from the generosity of their guests even if other co-workers would? Not the type of training and professionalism I would expect from such front line workers in a rated hotel. I am hopeful that corporate office will pay attention even though their employees do not.

The aircon in the restaurant never cooled the place, flies were present in the buffet food, the shower tiles and floors were not cleaned thoroughly, toiletries were never replenished (so save up or bring your own cotton balls and Q tips, etc).

I must say though that the waiters and bar servers were very attentive, kind and warm trying to make your experience a pleasant one. That is why we tried double hard to tip them.

If the hotel management cares about their guests and intends to increase guest traffic, it must revisit the professional and guest relations training of their front line staff members. Otherwise, word of mouth spreads around rapidly.

1 Thank Travel_SavvyCA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
#1 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,366 reviews

Been to Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!