We stayed from April 11-18, 2012. I'll rate by positives, then negatives.
Positiives: Nice beach, long and wide. Average food. My favorite beer (Negra Modelo) on tap along with Corona, although I didn't find out until the 2nd last day. Clean. Easy to get around, because small resort. Nice lobby bar. Nice First Club (we are members). Good, friendly service. Close to airport, so only about a 15-20 ride.
Negatives: Cool ocean water and murky, little smellly at times. Relatively small pool. Only one pool. Most lounge chairs fill up quickly. We must have hit at busy time of year (Easter week). No balcony or patio outside the rooms, except for the first floor rooms and some of the corner suites. This is the first resort where we were not able to sit outside our room in the morning or after coming in from the beach/pool. That was disappointing. We upgraded to the Royal Club amenities, but that was disappointing as well. The club was nice but too far away from everything (7th floor) and like a ghost town most of the time. Again, there was no balcony or outside exposure. That's why we go to Mexico, to be outdoors. Luckily, we got the 35% discount for the Royal Club experience, otherwise it would not have been worth it. The only real benefit was having the beach beds, which were always available. Stage show at night was pathetic, but not really a problem for us, because we don't attend. Very little attractions to see in the area, if you are into that. Nothing to do with the resort, but it took forever to get through customs. They had one agent for our flight (ridiculous). Took us almost an hour to get through. We got in at 12:30, so don't know if everyone else was at lunch. They do a lot better job in Cancun or Cozumel.
Overall, it is a nice clean resort, with good food and service, with a nice beach. Good value for the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The all-inclusive Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta is the ideal hotel for families, couples, and friends looking to enjoy a fun vacation on the Pacific shores of Mexico. Recently renovated, Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta has been updated with the latest modern amenities and technology to ensure a pleasant stay. The hotel is situated on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Riviera Nayarit, minutes from the Nuevo Vallarta shopping center and the best stores and restaurants in the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Barcelo and Booking.com so you can book your Occidental Nuevo Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Occidental Allegro Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Nuevo Vallarta Occidental Allegro Hotel