travel dates: Jan 20-27 2014 (grand concierge deluxe room) 6th floor-ocean view
Every reviewer has a different opinion depending on what they are looking for and past experience but I had a great week!
Weather: Was great the whole week, no rain, warm weather, breeze
Staff: Very friendly and definitely did their utmost to help in whatever way they could. Easy check-in, check-out, no long line-ups. Easy to reserve a la carte.
Beach: sandy, very long going north so that you can walk/run along the beach. The waves were moderate at the beginning of the week, strong and powerful near the end of the week. (It could knock you down if you weren't careful). No algae. Can't snorkel.
It was always fairly easy to find beach chairs in the shade although some people are disrespectful and save chairs when they aren't even there. Some chairs/beds were separated by rope and reserved for Royal Club members only. Vendors would come by often but never harassed anyone -simply say "no gracias".
Pools: didn't spend much time in the pools but there are 3, one very shallow for the kids, one for adults only and a third one for everyone to enjoy. Water was warm.
Food: Buffet had many different options, some things did come back of course but I was very happy to have guacamole at 95% of all lunches and dinners... and there was always bacon for breakfast. Considering it is a slightly smaller hotel some of the dishes seemed to dry out a bit on the hot plates but it was a minor issue. (food did NOT make us "sick") No line-ups. If you can't find something to eat you are too picky!
Dining room: Loved that it was open to the outdoors. Yes there were a few birds once in a while but the waiters were quick to clear the plates once you were done to avoid too many problems.
Room: Spacious and very clean. No balcony but you can open the window and there is a screen so that bugs don't come in. Mini fridge was re-stocked daily. (water, beer, pop)
Small drawers in bathroom are perfect to put away toiletries. A small clothesline in the shower allowed you to dry your bathing suits. Towels were always replaced. Mattresses were very comfortable. Pillows were always put back on the same bed.
Activities: Didn't participate in many but there seemed to always be something going on. Took a bike tour to a nearby zoo and nearby dolphin/activity center.
- Resort small - easy walk to dining room and beach
- You can get free wifi from the mall across the street. (there is also a Starbucks, McDonalds, Subway and small grocery store)
- Walk north on beach approx 10 minutes to see/participate in turtle send offs at 18:30 (seasonal)
- Bring ear plugs if you want to sleep with the window open (disco 23:00 - 01:00)
- Was never bothered about timeshare
- Medical center across the street (with dialysis capabilities)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The all-inclusive Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta is the ideal hotel for families, couples, and friends looking to enjoy a fun vacation on the Pacific shores of Mexico. Recently renovated, Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta has been updated with the latest modern amenities and technology to ensure a pleasant stay. The hotel is situated on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Riviera Nayarit, minutes from the Nuevo Vallarta shopping center and the best stores and restaurants in the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com and Barcelo so you can book your Occidental Nuevo Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Occidental Allegro Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Nuevo Vallarta Occidental Allegro Hotel