“Easter Week @ Occidental”

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
“Easter Week @ Occidental”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Overall, the trip was very good. In the past couple of months my boyfriend and I have been very lucky to travel to many "adventure" destinations, so this was a nice relaxing vacation. Some of the notable waitstaff include Raymond the Bell Boy - he was great in taking care of our bags on the way out - we wanted to check out before our car arrived and he was very professional. Additionally, Jorge, the waiter at Le Buffet went above and beyond his call of duty. He was always friendly, courteous, and respectful and always told us there was no need to tip. Lastly, Gustavo, another waiter, was very good.

Aside from the waitstaff, the rest of the hotel is just ok. I know they just went through a major renovation about two years ago, and in my opinion, there is still much room for improvement. Also, as previous reviewers have mentioned, their entertainment is severely lacking.

The one thing I would like to mention is that we didn't find there to be a hard push to buy into the Vacation Club - something that was a drawback for many.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor are the only rooms with a patio - I would suggest one of these if you p...
1 Thank D M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
  • Polish first
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I went to the Occidental with my boyfriends family and there was 12+ people. They had activities and such for people of all ages and it satisfied everyone! They have shows every night at the outdoor theater as well. So there is pretty much things to do at every hour of the day. The food was awesome too, I was a little nervous about eating the food I wasn't familiar with but everything turned out fine and the bottled water was comforting too because I heard crazy stuff about water down there so having safe water was a good feeling! I do recommend some sort of diarrhea pill just in case (as embarrassing as that is, it was a life saver because some people's stomachs were not used to the food right away). The beach in front of the resort is absolutely perfect, everything about that place was perfect. The sunsets are beautiful every night, in January when we went, the sun went down at about 630pm and we watched it every night. the weather in general was amazing every day! The whole place was very clean and they have awesome staff, we made friends with so many of the workers it was so nice, we couldn't complain about any of the staff! And the overall experience was perfect, I cant say that enough! I will defiantly be returning to the Occidental Grand in Nuevo Vallarta! So much fun! Very close to the down town as well so easy shopping access, I also felt very safe there as well, which was very comforting! I honestly can not say a bad thing about this place! I recommend this place to anyone, honeymooners, families or just a group of people, you wont be disappointed!

Room Tip: rooms with the ocean front rooms are the best, but rooms towards the west side I THINK its the west...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank la_mn614
Edmonton, Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just an average hotel, nothing special. Not much to do at night time, except for a show at 9 pm and some sort of disco at Mexican restaurant. Although Monday night was great, they had dinner and show right on the beach, lots of people, even fireworks. I wish they had something like this going every night.
Rooms are not cozy at all, windows are dirty and there's a constant noise going on even when air conditioning is off. Bathrooms have no bathtubs and have poor lighting, so it's hard to put make up on. No balconies :(
Food is good. They try to have different items in the buffet every day. I am a vegetarian and I was never hungry. We went to Mexican Restaurant and I loved crab shells a lot! In Italian Restaurant they have vegetarian lasagna, which is delicious. If you ask them, they will make you Mexican or Spanish coffee with fire.
Beach is good. Every day they had beach volley ball and other activities, most of them around the pools area.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to younger people.

Room Tip: We didn't put a special request(ocean view, etc) but our room 342 had an ocean view anyways.
2 Thank angelicavu
Solana Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

The Grand Nuevo is great. My wife, two kids and I were there the week of April 7. From check in to check out you couldn't ask for more. The pool was always clean and the beach was kept p nicely. Our first started with an awesome Mexican fiesta on the beach. We ate at the buffet the rest of the time but you could you choose from two other restaurants if you like. The buffet food was great and the service staff were very nice to us and made us feel welcomed. The buffet had a mix of everything. I personal wanted to experience the different Mexican dishes that you cannot get at restaurants back home ( San Diego) and they did not disappoint. All of the food was very good. We spent ,most days by the pool where the activities staff kept everything fun and got most people involved . Luz , Johnny and Vincente stood out . Luz always had a smile on her face and greeted us by name every time she passed by. Johnny was very engaging and plays a mean game of water polo. Vincente did the water aerobics . By the time he was done he practically had everyone joining in. He was great . The property is small and quiet so we did not have the "party" crowd to deal with. I highly recommend staying at the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta, you will not be disappointed

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank troll12
Hayward, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

With the winter snow, we were looking for a place to just relax in the sun, with easy access to the beach. This was it! A smaller resort, with great service, friendly staff with great smiles. We especially enjoyed our waiter, Oscar R. Great walking beach. Would go back again.

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

OK, first time doing a review, visited many resorts, but this one really needs the thumbs up. Here is the skinny, if you must have a Spa, swim up bar and plenty of action then stop reading. Now if you wish to have above and beyond service, great food (no line-ups), great balance of quite and action this is your place. Size does matter, not a crazy large maze, everything is really close, no matter where you are, close to clean washrooms and drinks. Just a nice easy place to totally relax, walk along the best beach on the west coast of Mexico.
Now the very best is likely due to their great management and people, lobby bartender Carlos is just about the nicest person you could meet, and hotel manager Jesus and wife Catalina always have time to stop and speak with you, pretty amazing. .... Here is the boiler plate.
Overall this resort was amazing! I would definitely return and I would recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: Ground would be best, who spends time in their room
Wheaton, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Occidental Grand from March 29 through April 4. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We liked that it is a smaller, quieter resort.
We appreciated the:
- 20 minute cab ride from the airport
- modern attractive rooms
- very firm mattresses, but not on a cement "box springs"
- immaculate facilities
- very friendly staff
- wide, clean beach that goes on for miles
-beach chairs always available
- great selection of buffet offerings
- variety of activities during the day including Spanish and cooking classes by the pool
We wish
- there had been a snack bar with food allowed by the pool (but I'm sure the birds would attack your food)
-more attentive service *after* you were seated at meals
-no beach vendors, they were not obnoxious, but you did have to say "no"
-more delineation between hotel staff and "Vacation Club" staff Four years ago the resort was gutted and made part of the vacation club. I guess that this is an important reason why the facilities are so nice. However, when you first arrive, be aware that only people behind the main desk and the small concierge desk to its left are "hotel staff." Everyone else who asks "May I help you?" really wants to sign you up for a (low key) sales pitch
We would recommend the resort to our friends nevertheless.

Room Tip: At check in I specifically requested a quiet room far away from the pool or disco. Our room was ver...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,684 reviews

Been to Occidental Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!