“All in all, a really nice place to relax.”

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was my first experience with an all inclusive resort and my boyfriend's second. I had reasonable expectations going in, because I really didn't know what to expect. We chose the OCNV because of all the reviews in all the locations in Mexico that I read, this resort, hands down, had the BEST. I think that OCNV was an awesome "jumping off point" for our first adventure into Mexican All Inclusives. I read many many many reviews before we settled on this resort and I found a lot of people were a little over critical and perhaps had some skewed expectations going in. My Pros and Cons are meant to be more FYIs for people versus complaints, because we both really enjoyed our time. Here is my list:

- P: Gorgeous building, very modern, small and easy to navigate
C: The gal who was supposed to give us a tour of the grounds and introduce us on arrival was more interested in getting us to a sister hotel for a time share presentation (for "free" tickets to some random excursion) than actually showing us anything important. Roger from the concierge desk was WAY more helpful at telling us what to do and where to go than she was. It wasn't until our second to last day that we found out that there are snacks in the lounge bar (after the snack bar closes and before supper is served), we were kinda forced to figure things out as we went along, which isn't bad, but a pain when you only have one week.

- P: Check-in was a breeze! We were there at noon, left our bags at the front with the concierge, changed into our swimsuits and spent a couple hours in the pool until we could get into our room. Ana was especially awesome and we enjoyed joking and laughing!

- P: SO clean, there were people everywhere continuously cleaning everything from the floors, to the grounds, to the beach furniture

- P: Rooms were spacious and well appointed, minibar was stocked daily with a couple of beer, water and pop. We asked for more water and they kept it full.
C: As I mentioned above, our room was GREAT, loved being on the ground floor and having a little patio. Our only gripe (even though it wasn't a huge issue to us as a couple) was that the glass shower wall was right beside the bed. It was frosted out so that you couldn't see any important parts and you could slide the closet door over for a little more privacy, but it might be a little uncomfy for friends or relatives staying in the same room that don't want to see you naked. LOL!

- P: Relatively quiet noise wise during the week. We were on the south side of the hotel (#107) which is quite close to the outdoor theatre, but we only heard the outdoor show once, in our room. The hallway noise picked up a bit when more people arrived toward the weekend, but was not bad.

- P: Lots of choices in the buffet, to-go Styrofoam packages available if you wanted to pick it up and eat in your room, snacks available often, good quality. LOVED all the fresh fruit and the breakfast buffet was by far our favorite. The omelet station was yummy! The Mexican A La Carte was very good and a nice change. I would space the a la carte restaurants out over the week, if I were to do it again.

- P: Pool was clean, lots of chairs and umbrellas. Was not a day that we couldn't find a place to sit (and we were NOT early risers!!) There were lots of good activities for all, poolside and otherwise, from water aerobics to bingo to water polo to beach volleyball and Oceanside yoga. A huge shout out to Jorje and Jonny for tolerating us crazy Canadians during the water polo fiascos on a daily basis! They were great and made it a super fun experience!!

- P: Beach was clean, sand was soft, lots of spots to sit on the beach and watch the waves. Beach vendors were polite and when you said no, they left you alone.

- P: Drinks were ok, there is a drink menu with both slush drinks and poured drinks. We took insulated cups (double walled) ones with a straw. They held approx. 2+ small cups of whatever you are drinking and kept them cold. Less trips to the bar! :) The bartenders were willing to make anything you wanted and if they didn't know how to make it, they would do what you asked!
C: I am pretty sure this isn't a con to the OCNV, but ALL all-inclusives, but we found the drinks to be SOOOO sweet. I was sick one night and I am pretty sure it was from all the sugar (I wasn't intoxicated) and sun. Brutal combination and rookie mistake. LOL

- P: Bus stops are right outside of the resort. It was approx. 50 pesos return each ($4 American) to go to Puerto Vallarta, which is approx. 1 hour and 1 transfer away. People were taking cabs for approx. $20 American and 20 minutes. We went to the Malecon (boardwalk) in Puerto Vallarta. It is a great place to grab all your touristy things and stuff. PLUS there are $1 beers at the Cheeky Monkey with the MOST AMAZING few and delicious food. It is a cruise ship docking area, so if you are wanting more authentic souvenirs, don't waste your dollars here OR at the PV flea market. Head into Bucerias and see what they have to offer.
C: This resort isn't a huge social scene. We aren't 20 and weren't looking for techno raves until the wee hours of the night, only to get up and repeat it the next day, however, we do like to have a good time and enjoy having a few libations. This is more of a mature couple/parents looking to escape their small children sort of a locale. Most things were pretty much done by 11 and forsure done at 1. Nuevo Vallarta is at least a 20 min trip to anywhere else close, which means $$ to get somewhere and a big commitment of time. We are "stick to your resort" peoples anyway, but we did find that this was a little bit more of a slower pace than we expected.

- P: There is a mall 1 block away with a little grocery store, a few restaurants and some fast food places if you need a break.

- P: If you are wanting a couples massage, walk north up the beach about 10 minutes. Right behind the 'Skydive' tent is a little massage hut. $70 American for 2 60 minute massages. Divine!!!!

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone looking for a slower pace, relax by the pool kind of a vacation. We found the activity staff a blast and enjoyed how clean and maintained the entire resort is.

Room Tip: Request a ground floor room, they have a small patio and ours (#107) had a partial ocean view.
6  Thank Jessica L
Write a ReviewReviews (3,396)

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I recommend this resort as I have been to many resorts in Cuba, Mexico, Jamaica, and Dominican and I have to say I enjoyed staying at this resort.
Thanks to the great personnel in the activity center and my friends Michelle, Luz, Adriana, Johny, Vicente, and Jorge we had a wonderful time. (Nice chu chu ua dance J)
Food: The a la cart restaurants were great (highly recommended). The buffet was small but it was not bad. For dinners we ended up going to A la cart restaurants every day and went to buffet just twice! For lunch we went to the snack bar every day.
Hotel grounds: Clean and well maintained. Family friendly, couples and singles friendly! The great thing was that everything was located close to each other, the main pool, the adult pool, the beach, the restaurants, and you did not have to walk a long distance from one point to the other unlike some other resorts wheret the beach is far a way from everything else! the bartenders even came around and took orders around the pool :-)
There was occasionally kids showing up with their parents in the adult pool, but security would come and ask them to leave.
Rooms: Clean and well maintained. There was a minor problem with neighboring rooms that made too much noise after midnight so that we had to call on the security twice to knock on their door. The first night we complained and we got a new room a day later. We ended up with another crazy neighbor with the same problem and we had to call on security for the second time. I have never had this problem before in any other resort, but I guess this was just bad luck and it is not the resort’s fault.
Shows: The nightly shows were good and very entertaining
Again I would highly recommend this resort and I would go back. The only thing you need to pay attention to is that all Occidental resorts including this resort are timeshare even if they want to give it a different name. They say the presentation is 60-90 minutes, but if you do not want to spend half a day to listen to their sales pitch to get a free massage or a free lobster dinner you just decline to participate as we did and you will have a great time!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Overall, the trip was very good. In the past couple of months my boyfriend and I have been very lucky to travel to many "adventure" destinations, so this was a nice relaxing vacation. Some of the notable waitstaff include Raymond the Bell Boy - he was great in taking care of our bags on the way out - we wanted to check out before our car arrived and he was very professional. Additionally, Jorge, the waiter at Le Buffet went above and beyond his call of duty. He was always friendly, courteous, and respectful and always told us there was no need to tip. Lastly, Gustavo, another waiter, was very good.

Aside from the waitstaff, the rest of the hotel is just ok. I know they just went through a major renovation about two years ago, and in my opinion, there is still much room for improvement. Also, as previous reviewers have mentioned, their entertainment is severely lacking.

The one thing I would like to mention is that we didn't find there to be a hard push to buy into the Vacation Club - something that was a drawback for many.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor are the only rooms with a patio - I would suggest one of these if you p...
1  Thank D M
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I went to the Occidental with my boyfriends family and there was 12+ people. They had activities and such for people of all ages and it satisfied everyone! They have shows every night at the outdoor theater as well. So there is pretty much things to do at every hour of the day. The food was awesome too, I was a little nervous about eating the food I wasn't familiar with but everything turned out fine and the bottled water was comforting too because I heard crazy stuff about water down there so having safe water was a good feeling! I do recommend some sort of diarrhea pill just in case (as embarrassing as that is, it was a life saver because some people's stomachs were not used to the food right away). The beach in front of the resort is absolutely perfect, everything about that place was perfect. The sunsets are beautiful every night, in January when we went, the sun went down at about 630pm and we watched it every night. the weather in general was amazing every day! The whole place was very clean and they have awesome staff, we made friends with so many of the workers it was so nice, we couldn't complain about any of the staff! And the overall experience was perfect, I cant say that enough! I will defiantly be returning to the Occidental Grand in Nuevo Vallarta! So much fun! Very close to the down town as well so easy shopping access, I also felt very safe there as well, which was very comforting! I honestly can not say a bad thing about this place! I recommend this place to anyone, honeymooners, families or just a group of people, you wont be disappointed!

Room Tip: rooms with the ocean front rooms are the best, but rooms towards the west side I THINK its the west...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank la_mn614
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just an average hotel, nothing special. Not much to do at night time, except for a show at 9 pm and some sort of disco at Mexican restaurant. Although Monday night was great, they had dinner and show right on the beach, lots of people, even fireworks. I wish they had something like this going every night.
Rooms are not cozy at all, windows are dirty and there's a constant noise going on even when air conditioning is off. Bathrooms have no bathtubs and have poor lighting, so it's hard to put make up on. No balconies :(
Food is good. They try to have different items in the buffet every day. I am a vegetarian and I was never hungry. We went to Mexican Restaurant and I loved crab shells a lot! In Italian Restaurant they have vegetarian lasagna, which is delicious. If you ask them, they will make you Mexican or Spanish coffee with fire.
Beach is good. Every day they had beach volley ball and other activities, most of them around the pools area.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to younger people.

Room Tip: We didn't put a special request(ocean view, etc) but our room 342 had an ocean view anyways.
2  Thank angelicavu
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The Grand Nuevo is great. My wife, two kids and I were there the week of April 7. From check in to check out you couldn't ask for more. The pool was always clean and the beach was kept p nicely. Our first started with an awesome Mexican fiesta on the beach. We ate at the buffet the rest of the time but you could you choose from two other restaurants if you like. The buffet food was great and the service staff were very nice to us and made us feel welcomed. The buffet had a mix of everything. I personal wanted to experience the different Mexican dishes that you cannot get at restaurants back home ( San Diego) and they did not disappoint. All of the food was very good. We spent ,most days by the pool where the activities staff kept everything fun and got most people involved . Luz , Johnny and Vincente stood out . Luz always had a smile on her face and greeted us by name every time she passed by. Johnny was very engaging and plays a mean game of water polo. Vincente did the water aerobics . By the time he was done he practically had everyone joining in. He was great . The property is small and quiet so we did not have the "party" crowd to deal with. I highly recommend staying at the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta, you will not be disappointed

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank troll12
Reviewed 16 April 2014

With the winter snow, we were looking for a place to just relax in the sun, with easy access to the beach. This was it! A smaller resort, with great service, friendly staff with great smiles. We especially enjoyed our waiter, Oscar R. Great walking beach. Would go back again.