“Fantastic Family Vacation”

Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Whitby, Canada
“Fantastic Family Vacation”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I am just back from an amazing week at The Occidental Grand Neuvo Vallarta. My husband & I travelled with our 2 daughters, aged 13 & 15, staying April 11th to 18th. I cannot say enough good things about this lovely little piece of Heaven. Our rooms were spotless & comfy, weather was perfection, the food was incredible (go to the Italian Restaurant...you will not be disappointed!!), grounds were immaculate, & the beach incredibly beautiful and a pleasure to walk & take in the sites every day!! We felt very safe & walked over to the Starbucks a couple evenings, down to the marina and took a cab into the Puerto Vallarta Boardwalk, which was a fantastic evening!! I never would have done any of this with my daughters if we hadn't felt so completely safe.
I booked the Dolphin Swim on line at Vallarta Adventures ahead of our vacation & got a great price! The cab ride there was about 5 minutes and cost about $4. It was a great experience and by booking it myself we were able to go later in the day and were only gone a couple hours...hardly missed any poolside time at all.
What more can I say, I would go back again today if I could!! We've visited The Mayan, Mazatlan, Cuba & Dominican....this by far is our Favourite!!!
I must also take a minute to say Thank-you to the incredibly wonderful staff...from your first greeting at check in to the bar staff, wait staff, entertainment staff, cleaning staff, bellboys...everyone does there best to make you feel right at home & they succeed :)
We did pay for wifi for a few days and it wasn't the greatest connection so I recommend you just 'borrow' some from The HardRock next door or Starbucks...none are the best, but who really wants to surf the net when you have that beautiful beach and all those palm trees to look at????
Thanks Occidental Grand for the best family vacation we could have asked for ❤️☀️☀️❤️

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank ScottFam4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (911)
  • Polish first
midwest
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We went for complete relaxation and that's what we got. When we first got there the time share people hounded us relentlessly(it started in the airport) until we made it clear we didn't come for that, we paid good money to enjoy ourselves not purchase other packages. We booked through Funjet and the Funjet person was the worst, especially the first day. Second day he was better. Sorry, Had to vent. The resort was beautiful. Right on the ocean. Pools wonderful. Food good. Great drinks. Staff was so nice. They made us feel special. We celebrated our 46th wedding anniversary there and they went in our room and put red rose petals and swans on our bed. I cried. The concierge girls and front desk girls were so pleasant and helpful. There weren't hardly any kids there when we went but the ones that were there were very respectful with good parents. Most kids in school when we were there. Shows every night were good. ground were beautiful

1 Thank kazMidwest
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was my first experience with an all inclusive resort and my boyfriend's second. I had reasonable expectations going in, because I really didn't know what to expect. We chose the OCNV because of all the reviews in all the locations in Mexico that I read, this resort, hands down, had the BEST. I think that OCNV was an awesome "jumping off point" for our first adventure into Mexican All Inclusives. I read many many many reviews before we settled on this resort and I found a lot of people were a little over critical and perhaps had some skewed expectations going in. My Pros and Cons are meant to be more FYIs for people versus complaints, because we both really enjoyed our time. Here is my list:

- P: Gorgeous building, very modern, small and easy to navigate
C: The gal who was supposed to give us a tour of the grounds and introduce us on arrival was more interested in getting us to a sister hotel for a time share presentation (for "free" tickets to some random excursion) than actually showing us anything important. Roger from the concierge desk was WAY more helpful at telling us what to do and where to go than she was. It wasn't until our second to last day that we found out that there are snacks in the lounge bar (after the snack bar closes and before supper is served), we were kinda forced to figure things out as we went along, which isn't bad, but a pain when you only have one week.

- P: Check-in was a breeze! We were there at noon, left our bags at the front with the concierge, changed into our swimsuits and spent a couple hours in the pool until we could get into our room. Ana was especially awesome and we enjoyed joking and laughing!

- P: SO clean, there were people everywhere continuously cleaning everything from the floors, to the grounds, to the beach furniture

- P: Rooms were spacious and well appointed, minibar was stocked daily with a couple of beer, water and pop. We asked for more water and they kept it full.
C: As I mentioned above, our room was GREAT, loved being on the ground floor and having a little patio. Our only gripe (even though it wasn't a huge issue to us as a couple) was that the glass shower wall was right beside the bed. It was frosted out so that you couldn't see any important parts and you could slide the closet door over for a little more privacy, but it might be a little uncomfy for friends or relatives staying in the same room that don't want to see you naked. LOL!

- P: Relatively quiet noise wise during the week. We were on the south side of the hotel (#107) which is quite close to the outdoor theatre, but we only heard the outdoor show once, in our room. The hallway noise picked up a bit when more people arrived toward the weekend, but was not bad.

- P: Lots of choices in the buffet, to-go Styrofoam packages available if you wanted to pick it up and eat in your room, snacks available often, good quality. LOVED all the fresh fruit and the breakfast buffet was by far our favorite. The omelet station was yummy! The Mexican A La Carte was very good and a nice change. I would space the a la carte restaurants out over the week, if I were to do it again.

- P: Pool was clean, lots of chairs and umbrellas. Was not a day that we couldn't find a place to sit (and we were NOT early risers!!) There were lots of good activities for all, poolside and otherwise, from water aerobics to bingo to water polo to beach volleyball and Oceanside yoga. A huge shout out to Jorje and Jonny for tolerating us crazy Canadians during the water polo fiascos on a daily basis! They were great and made it a super fun experience!!

- P: Beach was clean, sand was soft, lots of spots to sit on the beach and watch the waves. Beach vendors were polite and when you said no, they left you alone.

- P: Drinks were ok, there is a drink menu with both slush drinks and poured drinks. We took insulated cups (double walled) ones with a straw. They held approx. 2+ small cups of whatever you are drinking and kept them cold. Less trips to the bar! :) The bartenders were willing to make anything you wanted and if they didn't know how to make it, they would do what you asked!
C: I am pretty sure this isn't a con to the OCNV, but ALL all-inclusives, but we found the drinks to be SOOOO sweet. I was sick one night and I am pretty sure it was from all the sugar (I wasn't intoxicated) and sun. Brutal combination and rookie mistake. LOL

- P: Bus stops are right outside of the resort. It was approx. 50 pesos return each ($4 American) to go to Puerto Vallarta, which is approx. 1 hour and 1 transfer away. People were taking cabs for approx. $20 American and 20 minutes. We went to the Malecon (boardwalk) in Puerto Vallarta. It is a great place to grab all your touristy things and stuff. PLUS there are $1 beers at the Cheeky Monkey with the MOST AMAZING few and delicious food. It is a cruise ship docking area, so if you are wanting more authentic souvenirs, don't waste your dollars here OR at the PV flea market. Head into Bucerias and see what they have to offer.
C: This resort isn't a huge social scene. We aren't 20 and weren't looking for techno raves until the wee hours of the night, only to get up and repeat it the next day, however, we do like to have a good time and enjoy having a few libations. This is more of a mature couple/parents looking to escape their small children sort of a locale. Most things were pretty much done by 11 and forsure done at 1. Nuevo Vallarta is at least a 20 min trip to anywhere else close, which means $$ to get somewhere and a big commitment of time. We are "stick to your resort" peoples anyway, but we did find that this was a little bit more of a slower pace than we expected.

- P: There is a mall 1 block away with a little grocery store, a few restaurants and some fast food places if you need a break.

- P: If you are wanting a couples massage, walk north up the beach about 10 minutes. Right behind the 'Skydive' tent is a little massage hut. $70 American for 2 60 minute massages. Divine!!!!

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone looking for a slower pace, relax by the pool kind of a vacation. We found the activity staff a blast and enjoyed how clean and maintained the entire resort is.

Room Tip: Request a ground floor room, they have a small patio and ours (#107) had a partial ocean view.
6 Thank Jessica L
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I recommend this resort as I have been to many resorts in Cuba, Mexico, Jamaica, and Dominican and I have to say I enjoyed staying at this resort.
Thanks to the great personnel in the activity center and my friends Michelle, Luz, Adriana, Johny, Vicente, and Jorge we had a wonderful time. (Nice chu chu ua dance J)
Food: The a la cart restaurants were great (highly recommended). The buffet was small but it was not bad. For dinners we ended up going to A la cart restaurants every day and went to buffet just twice! For lunch we went to the snack bar every day.
Hotel grounds: Clean and well maintained. Family friendly, couples and singles friendly! The great thing was that everything was located close to each other, the main pool, the adult pool, the beach, the restaurants, and you did not have to walk a long distance from one point to the other unlike some other resorts wheret the beach is far a way from everything else! the bartenders even came around and took orders around the pool :-)
There was occasionally kids showing up with their parents in the adult pool, but security would come and ask them to leave.
Rooms: Clean and well maintained. There was a minor problem with neighboring rooms that made too much noise after midnight so that we had to call on the security twice to knock on their door. The first night we complained and we got a new room a day later. We ended up with another crazy neighbor with the same problem and we had to call on security for the second time. I have never had this problem before in any other resort, but I guess this was just bad luck and it is not the resort’s fault.
Shows: The nightly shows were good and very entertaining
Again I would highly recommend this resort and I would go back. The only thing you need to pay attention to is that all Occidental resorts including this resort are timeshare even if they want to give it a different name. They say the presentation is 60-90 minutes, but if you do not want to spend half a day to listen to their sales pitch to get a free massage or a free lobster dinner you just decline to participate as we did and you will have a great time!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Overall, the trip was very good. In the past couple of months my boyfriend and I have been very lucky to travel to many "adventure" destinations, so this was a nice relaxing vacation. Some of the notable waitstaff include Raymond the Bell Boy - he was great in taking care of our bags on the way out - we wanted to check out before our car arrived and he was very professional. Additionally, Jorge, the waiter at Le Buffet went above and beyond his call of duty. He was always friendly, courteous, and respectful and always told us there was no need to tip. Lastly, Gustavo, another waiter, was very good.

Aside from the waitstaff, the rest of the hotel is just ok. I know they just went through a major renovation about two years ago, and in my opinion, there is still much room for improvement. Also, as previous reviewers have mentioned, their entertainment is severely lacking.

The one thing I would like to mention is that we didn't find there to be a hard push to buy into the Vacation Club - something that was a drawback for many.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor are the only rooms with a patio - I would suggest one of these if you p...
1 Thank D M
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I went to the Occidental with my boyfriends family and there was 12+ people. They had activities and such for people of all ages and it satisfied everyone! They have shows every night at the outdoor theater as well. So there is pretty much things to do at every hour of the day. The food was awesome too, I was a little nervous about eating the food I wasn't familiar with but everything turned out fine and the bottled water was comforting too because I heard crazy stuff about water down there so having safe water was a good feeling! I do recommend some sort of diarrhea pill just in case (as embarrassing as that is, it was a life saver because some people's stomachs were not used to the food right away). The beach in front of the resort is absolutely perfect, everything about that place was perfect. The sunsets are beautiful every night, in January when we went, the sun went down at about 630pm and we watched it every night. the weather in general was amazing every day! The whole place was very clean and they have awesome staff, we made friends with so many of the workers it was so nice, we couldn't complain about any of the staff! And the overall experience was perfect, I cant say that enough! I will defiantly be returning to the Occidental Grand in Nuevo Vallarta! So much fun! Very close to the down town as well so easy shopping access, I also felt very safe there as well, which was very comforting! I honestly can not say a bad thing about this place! I recommend this place to anyone, honeymooners, families or just a group of people, you wont be disappointed!

Room Tip: rooms with the ocean front rooms are the best, but rooms towards the west side I THINK its the west...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank la_mn614
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just an average hotel, nothing special. Not much to do at night time, except for a show at 9 pm and some sort of disco at Mexican restaurant. Although Monday night was great, they had dinner and show right on the beach, lots of people, even fireworks. I wish they had something like this going every night.
Rooms are not cozy at all, windows are dirty and there's a constant noise going on even when air conditioning is off. Bathrooms have no bathtubs and have poor lighting, so it's hard to put make up on. No balconies :(
Food is good. They try to have different items in the buffet every day. I am a vegetarian and I was never hungry. We went to Mexican Restaurant and I loved crab shells a lot! In Italian Restaurant they have vegetarian lasagna, which is delicious. If you ask them, they will make you Mexican or Spanish coffee with fire.
Beach is good. Every day they had beach volley ball and other activities, most of them around the pools area.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to younger people.

Room Tip: We didn't put a special request(ocean view, etc) but our room 342 had an ocean view anyways.
2 Thank angelicavu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,734 reviews

Been to Occidental Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!