“Wonderful Resort”

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed a week at the resort and it exceeded all our expectations. The hotel was clean and we'll maintained, the staff was helpful and they tried to cater to all our wished to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. We were on the 6th floor with a sliver of ocean view but we did not spend time in the room at all with all the activities. Thanks Karla to keep the room clean, the fridge was always full,of water and drinks. We always has chairs available at the beach and at the adult pool, where we even had pool service (drinks) during the day. The food was fresh and never a line up to wait. We ate at both a la card restaurants and even with some diet restrictions we found great food to eat. Victoria at the front desk was very helpful. There is a mall across the resort for shopping but the only thing we had to buy is more suntan lotion (we used 3 bottles). The WiFi is $30 for 5 days but we used the WiFi from Hard Rock by the beach. It was a great choice to stay at this smaller resort, it was no line ups, the staff was incredibly helpful and it was very very clean. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor with a bit of view, on the south side. We could hear the entertainment un...
3  Thank Kati M
Write a ReviewReviews (3,399)

Reviewed 29 April 2014

As a travel agent, I have traveled many places. This adventure began for my husband's 40th birthday. We were going to book a weekend in Carmel which is about two hours from us but it was $560 for a room for two nights. We decided to book at the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta because it was $651 for five days, all inclusive, with an ocean view room, one hour couples massage, a bottle of sparkling wine, chocolate covered strawberries, a romantic dinner, and a continental breakfast in bed. This sounded perfect! Since I had the email address to request our al la carte dinners I emailed them and got a response from Yazmin 24 hours later. Everything was set! My only complaint so far was I was told by the hotel when I called the romantic dinner was a private dinner on the beach but I was told it was actually at the Royal club on the 7th floor. No biggie.
When we arrived we were escorted to the 7th floor for check in. I thought we might have been upgraded since this was supposed to be for Royal club members only but it was just our check in. Daniel the bartender asked us if we wanted anything to drink and quickly got it for us. When we were checking in they asked for our passports and then made a copy. I was not comfortable with this at all and wonder why the need it and what they are doing with it. Juan the bellman quickly brought us our bags and our room had chocolate covered strawberries as requested but no sparkling wine. Juan quickly got us our wine. He was truly the best!
Our room was nice. We had a beautiful view of the bay and could see the whales in the morning. The sunsets were spectacular! The shower was interesting but later we found you can see the person on the toilet when your laying on the bed...well maybe not the person...just the parts you don't want the other person to see when you're doing your business. This can be fixed by sliding the closet door. We only left the closet door open to the shower when we were taking a shower to see the beautiful view of the bay.
The next morning we booked two excursions: Rhythms of the Night and a sailboat whale watching which also went to Marietta's (? Spell) island. My husband and I then spent the rest of the day lounging around and we even went to the mall across the street. The grocery store there was really nice and this is where we bought most of our tequila to bring home. At night we had our diner at the Royal Club which was good.
The next morning we had our couples massage. After the massage my back felt a little off but I thought it was just loosened up. We lounged around and then got ready for our Rhythms of the Night tour. I took a warm shower which is a small complaint of mine. The shower never got anything but warm. When I got out of the shower and reached for my towel this is when the whole vacation went south...my back was thrown out. I couldn't even breathe! Needless to say I will never ever get a massage again. I'm 31 years old, I work out, and by all means I have never thrown my back out. I thought something was odd about the massage. She worked a lot on the bone of my spine which in previous massages I have received this has never been done before. Needless to say we had to cancel the Rhythms of the Night Tour cause I couldn't even move, let alone it killed to breathe and it was getting worse and worse. Then a half hour later my husband started getting sick and what do you know an hour later I was getting sick. I understand the Occidental is under strict guidelines and pass random health inspections but as I have read on several trip advisor reviews, we only ate and drank at the resort.
The next morning my back was tolerable but our stomachs still weren't right. We had to cancel the sail boat tour and took it easy in the morning. By the afternoon we hadn't eaten and decided to head to Buirrecus (? Spell) We loved that town! The people are pleasant and welcoming and we bought several bowls at the flea market. We even enjoyed a beer at the beach. We were starting to feel better. At the resort we had dinner and had a drink at the lounge bar. The bartender looked tired and wasn't engaging. We headed up to the room and an hour later what do you know my husband and I are both sick.
The rest of the vacation we didn't eat or drink their. I ate at McDonald's and had coffee at Starbucks and felt fine. As soon as I tried even the bottled water at the resort a half an hour later I felt sick. Unfortunately my husband never recovered until after we got home...around the time my back felt better.
To put this whole vacation into perspective, I enjoyed Nuevo Vallarta and we will go back. The Sierra Madre's are beautiful and huge...they put the Sierra Nevada's to shame. The locals are warm, welcoming, and are laid back. Even the Ferrell dogs are nice. I just wouldn't recommend the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta to anyone. Besides our situation their were other minor things. For example, the gym opens at 8am. Personally my workouts begin at 6am so I didn't work out at all but couldn't anyway. We didn't have batteries that worked in the scale or one of the remotes, the shower flooded into the bedroom. They need to caulk the bottom of the shower door. (I know the management staff responds diligently to these reviews so as a fyi we were in room 636) The times of certain things are annoying like the lobby bar not opening until 1pm. It would be nice to have it open in the morning like most resorts so we can order coffee and relax in the big lobby. Their drink selection was horrible. For instance they didn't have port unless you were in the Royal club. If you are set on going to the Occidental then I would book on weekdays as weekends are FILLED with big families. I heard reviews about bed bugs or sand fleas. I don't believe the resort has any but what they do have is mosquito's which bit the bottom of my legs and ankles when wearing a dress at dinner. The bites wouldn't show up until the morning so wear bug spray at night. Nothing intolerable. We will return to this area but this is the only time I would think of not booking an all inclusive. Simply because Burecuis (? Spell) has so many restaurants with fresh fish it would be nice to go into town. Or for the sake of the all inclusive convenience I would stay at the Riu Palace which you can see from the Occidental. We might even head to Punta del Mita which has amazing beaches I hear.

Room Tip: If you are set on this resort, the ocean view romance package is the best option
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HolleydayTravel
Reviewed 28 April 2014

3 star resort with EXCELLENT staff! Adults only pool is a big plus. 2 ala carte restaurants and 2 buffets.
Resort is small so it is easy to get around. Never had a problem with chairs or towels and we visited the last week in March. Their mexican beach fiesta should not be missed. Entertainment, music, dancing, fireworks and fabulous grilled food. Drinks were made to order and you can order most of your favorite brands. Their gym is quite small, 1 treadmill, 1 elliptical, 1 bike, weight machine, free weights and a bench. beautiful long beach for running and walking! Ocean is always wavy, good for boogie boards, not for little ones swimming. You can pick up free wifi on beach or road in front of hotel next door, or at Starbucks, McDonalds across the street. They do push their timeshare but it was not high pressure. We found this resort to be a great value (less than $1,000 per person including charter airfare from WI) It is older but the cost savings allows you to easily look past that!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank xyzgreenbay
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had lot of fun at this beach resort. It was nice and relaxed family vacation. We stayed here for four nights. All inclusive was a great experience. Didn't have to worry about food, since food was available most of the times. Lots of choices. Buffet got boring after few meals. Mexican and Italian restaurants were nice for a change. Book restaurant reservation early, since good times fill up quickly. We only went out of resort one day, for snorkeling at Yelapa. It was OK (nothing can beat Hawaii). We booked boat ride with Vallarta adventure. Vallarta Adventure crew made the trip fun.

Hotel crew were friendly and helpful. Rooms were nice and clean. Bed was full size though.Surfing board and Canoe can be rented for free at the beach. Nightly entertainment was little lacking. Overall it was great vacation.

3  Thank WanderingSanjiv
Reviewed 26 April 2014

there were key staff who made this resort experience outstanding. Erik who worked at the main restaurant remembered my name and gave us Great service. Edvardo and Benji at the beach bar were wonderful, Lilia our maid kept our room so clean and made wonderful towel figures, Louis who we met by the towel service was so informational and help us find great places to visit. Gilberto with Vallarta adventures who was photographer went way out of his way helping my husband find fishing supplies and help find great fishing spots. The Occidental grand was not the most modern resort but their staff was outstanding. Puerto Vallarta was so Beautiful and safe. The people everywhere were so kind and helpful. We will return to Puerto Vallarta ;-)!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Norma B
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We keep going back each year to this place since 2001! This place has a great atmosphere for families. It has good HEALTHY food, clean rooms and excellent restaurants. Each person at the buffet and restaurants make sure everyone is taken care of with drinks and a table. Good job Erik, Ricardo, Gustavo, David, Rafael and staff. Friendly staff all around the Resort. Great activities from the Fun Club! Go Mau, Vincente, Ady, Luz, Michelle, Jony, Sergio and Kids Club ladies! Each time we visit this place, we come back wanting to stay longer. The First Club Staff provides great hospitality. At night time, they have great shows and dancing. They work hard to give you the vacation you deserve. We just recently visted them April 11th to April 19th 2014 :) Gracias! Ingrid

2  Thank Ingrid K
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I had a ton of fun. The food was great, the rooms were always nice and clean, and the staff were nice. Especially the activity crew. They made everything so much better. Michelle was the greatest one because she was always doing something fun that people could join in on.

Room Tip: Choose one of the rooms closest to the pool because it is easier access by the back doors.