“Excellent beach, good resort”

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
West Kelowna, BC
“Excellent beach, good resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My 15 year old son and I just stayed for 1 week at this resort June 21-28. We got an excellent deal from Air Canada Vacations. I like to organize my reviews into subtopics as follows:

Check-in/Arrival: Not enough front desk staff to make this process smooth, there was a bus full of people waiting in line for too long. We were offered beer and soft drinks in line which made it less painful. I e-mailed the hotel directly for special room requests and they were accommodated.

Room/housekeeping: Room was large enough for two of us, I wouldn't want to be a family of 4 in the room though. Bathroom was spacious. No hair conditioner (I bring my own). Maid service was good, the only complaint would be the floor, not swept properly. My son left the safe open one day and when we came back to the room it had not been cleaned, for security purposes they left the room alone until we returned and lock the safe. I appreciated that.

Concierge/front desk: Friendly and somewhat helpful. They don't seem to know how the bus system works (but yet that is how they all get to work and back) I think they just wanted us to take taxis. They also wouldn't look anything up on the internet for us (I wasn't going to pay $10/day for wi-fi) That bothered me as I only wanted an address for crying out loud!

Restaurants: The buffet is good, the bacon is not! Good waiter service. The Mexican al-a-carte is good, the Italian is just ok. The snack bar is also good.

Bars: Lobby bar is excellent! Hector and Ricardo are wonderful and they make the best drinks at the resort. The beach bar is good, the bartenders do a good job and work hard.

Pool: Very difficult to find a shady lounge chair, full of kids, water was quite warm probably due to the temperature outside. I didn't use the adults pool but there were more chairs there in the shade and of course no kids, however my son is 15 and only 18 and over could be there. :(

Beach: Plenty of lounge chairs, no matter what time of day we could always find a palapa! I loved that I didn't have to go and reserve a palapa at 6am!!!! Drink service was ok, there was only 1 waiter that looked after the pool and the whole beach, they needed 2. Jorge did the best job he could given he was solo!

Nightly entertainment: Half were ok, half were not so great. Karaoke night is fun!

Daily entertainment: Was ok, they only came to tell us about an activity once on the beach, we missed out on pretty much everything.

Check-out: smooth, bellboy service was good.

Overall impression of resort: This is a good resort, 4 **** but not more. The location is not great if you like exploring like we do, especially since the staff don't share bus info. The beach is excellent and that is why I choose this resort, I love the beach and this one is superb! Waves were fun to play in but safe enough that you wouldn't get swamped. Sand was soft, clean.....I highly recommend this resort for it's beach. The food is good (not great) most everything tasted good and was cooked properly. The service is very good, I like the smaller resorts because it is more personal and the staff remembers you. Very easy to get around, very intimate place. There is some work to be done fixing up the grounds but that is not such a big deal. If you are looking for a clean, well priced resort on a great beach then this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Ocean view had a nice view of the Bay of Banderas
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SunLovingGurl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
  • Polish first
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Last August my husband and i were engaged at Occidental he set up a private romantic dinner and proposed and this past June on the 20th we were married ( on las caletas) but stayed at the Occidental again with 42 of our closest friends and family! It was amazing again the staff is great the location on the beach is just amazing. Esmerelda is beyond accommodating. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. I love it I will continue to return there to vacation when visiting Mexico. The food is good the Italian restaurant is So tasty! We ended up changing hotels after the wedding to a hotel in puerto vallarta it was nice, but honestly if I could change it I would have stayed at the occidental not that the hotel wasnt nice that we moved to... it just didnt have that comfort feel that you get from Occidental it didnt have the beach or the friendly bar staff... I felt a little trapped at that hotel and at Occidental I didnt feel that way at all. It is a great hotel I would recommend it to anyone traveling to Nuevo/Puerto Vallarta! You will literally feel welcome and comfortable the second you arrive! Continued through your entire stay. It is a beautiful hotel, with an amazingly helpful staff!!!

2 Thank Jenni P
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

First time in Puerto Vallarta. The resort was meticulously kept and well manicured.
EVERY single on of the employees I encountered was wonderful and went out of their way to be helpful. I was amazed at how many of them actually remembered my name throughout my stay.
From the bartenders to the gentleman at the kayak shack.... they all greeted me by name.
The hotel is on the Nuevo Vallarta side but is a short cab ride to the Viejo Vallarta where more rustic (and crowded) venues are. I really recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Susan G
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was our first trip to Puerto Vallarta and our first time at an all inclusive, so I don't have anything else to compare it too, but I will say it is a really lovely resort and the beach is gorgeous with a great mountain view. The staff is very hardworking and friendly. We tipped Jorge the bartender near the pool and he brought us drinks constantly throughout the week, it was nice! Our other favorite bartender was Carlos, and the best waiters were Juan and Guillermo. This is a great place to stay if you are looking for rest and relaxation. We had our ten year old daughter with us, Unfortunately the kids club is more geared towards younger children so we didn't use that service. I'm a decent home cook, who rarely eats out and I found the food to be quite good, although the last night we were there the buffet did seem mediocre but it could have been that I was just tiring of the buffet.

Two Cons: 1. You can't even go up to the front desk without being hassled by the time share people. We learned this early on and mostly avoided the front desk at all costs. This was especially annoying at check in, we arrived tired and hungry after a long day of travelling and you think you are being greeted very friendly, they offer you a beer, etc. (while my Husband was checking in and I was sitting and waiting) only to find out they are trying to get you to come to their presentation.

2. Stocking the mini fridge with 4 bottles of water a day is not sufficient in my opinion. When you call to ask for more you are turned down. For the price we paid for this vacation, it's just not acceptable in my opinion. We had to buy extra bottles of water ourselves.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jkwillia
Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We (a couple) stayed at the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta from June 21st to June 28th, 2014 in a regular room. It was a great holiday and I will try to give a fair opinion.

Check In - We left the airport and did not stop or look at the time share people in the airport, just kept going till we got outside, saw the buses and the Air Canada representative. Gerry with Air Canada was funny and informative. Our check in was extremely swift.the front desk person that we dealt with (her name was Idaly) was so friendly and made us feel very welcome. Check in took about 5 minutes and we were on our way to our room.

The room – did not smell moldy (smelled like the ocean and slightly damp). The A/C was working great; we kept it nice and cold the whole week. Was very clean and the mini fridge was stocked DAILY with 2 beers, 4 bottles of water and two kinds of pop. The maid left a towel animal a couple of times but I don’t really care about those. Rooms not very soundproof, we could hear everything in the hallway.

The food - Excellent (especially if you have ever eaten in Cuba). The buffet had a huge amount of variety and choice. Breakfast had really good coffee, some kind of green juice, omelet station, eggs (a touch runny), pancakes, French toast, cereal, oatmeal, bacon, 3 kinds of sausages, yogurt, veggies, lots of fruit, fajita meats, hash browns, toast, bagels and on and on. The waiters made a big production of opening champagne for mimosas! Lunch and Supper – too much variety to list. Loved the ice-cream and the coconut fish.. Snack Bar was okay with burgers, fries, chicken wings, onion rings, chicken nuggets, make your own nachos etc.
A La Cartes – We booked these on our first morning there. Italian was very good. Spinach salad, grilled steak and Tiramisu all quite good. Mexican was my favourite with stuffed crab, Enchiladas and Churros. Very good food but not gourmet if you are looking for that.

Pools, Beach – We liked the adult pool as we did not have children with us. The staff did a good job of keeping it child free. The main pool was lively with music and lots of kids. Waiters fetched drinks at the adult pool which was nice. The only CON here was that there was no swim up bar. The beach could have been cleaner but it was right close to the pool/beach bar which was nice. Beach was nice, brown sand and quite long...we went for a two mile run and did not come near the end of the beach.

Beverages – great bartenders and good alcohol. Dos Equis is the beer on tap, so many different drinks to choose from on their menu, however of course they will make anything. Sea Breeze was very good.

Activities – definitely kept you busy if you wanted. Water aerobics were fun in the adult pool. Luce and Michelle were very good. Started to watch one show in the theatre at night but it (Azteca) was pretty cheesy. On Wednesday night they had a market set up near the buffet and pool with nice wares for sale.

City Tour (this is not about the hotel)–don’t bother with this one, walking and following a really slow older gentlemen who was not very informative and mostly waiting for other people on the bus to take their whole families to Baskin Robbins for ice cream which made the tour about an hour too long. Tequila factory was okay; lunch was about $50 US and was quite good.

This resort was a great deal!

2 Thank sukisammy
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My girlfriend and I had our first vacation at this resort and we had a great time. The staff are unreal, the resort is a nice size, and very well managed and kept. The buffet food was actually fantastic and the Italian restaurant was great. The evening entertainment is a bit repetitive and could be better, but the staff do a great job of events during the day from beach volleyball to bingo etc.

We'd recommend this resort to anyone looking to enjoy a great time in Mexico.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Phoenix AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta for four nights the week of June 23rd. We booked through Costco Travel and got a good deal when US Air offered low air fare rates for a few days in May. Apparently, Costco Travel is at the mercy of whatever the current airfares are but the Costco operation is very organized and professional and their travel packages seem like a good deal. Transfers to and from the airport to the hotel were included and were handled on time and efficiently through Gray Line. We have traveled to Puerto Vallarta several times and so we were prepared for the verbal ambush by dozens of screaming taxi and timeshare vendors who line the airport exit walkway soliciting their services. But as soon as we made it through, we saw a man holding up the Costco placard and within minutes we were inside a cab on our way to the hotel.

Check-in was quick and easy. We paid for an upgraded room but when we got to our room, it was located on the south side of the building with a partial ocean view. We contemplated going back to the desk to see if we were entitled to a better location. However, within the hour the front desk manager called us and said we were not given the correct room. The desk manager said that she would upgrade us to a 6th floor suite with direct ocean view if we would be willing to spend the first night in the original room. We agreed and moved into the upgrade the next afternoon. We were very pleased and impressed by the way the hotel handled the situation. Both rooms were clean, updated and comfortable.

Most of the recent reviews of the Occidental Grand have accurately highlighted many of the strengths and weaknesses of the this hotel. Here are some added observations:

BEACH
The beach is large, clean and has no rocks or seaweed. The water was warm this time of year, probably in the 80sF. But the ocean (actually the Bay of Banderas) is apparently never clear. The small to medium size surf constantly stirs the brownish sand so the water is always somewhat muddy. Don't expect a Cancun type beach. If you don't mind light brown sand and unclear water, then you will enjoy the beach. Of course, there are beach vendors selling hats, shirts, jewelry, pottery, tours, hair-braiding, fake-tatoos etc. As others have said, when they approach you, say "no" and they will move on. However, if you plan to spend most of the day on the beach, be prepared to say "no" once every 10 or 15 minutes throughout the day.

FOOD and DRNK
Many reviews rate the buffet as poor and we would agree. You can certainly find enough to eat but virtually all of the selections reminded us of the kind of cafeteria food you would find at a US college or in the military. Many lunch selections were re-cycled for dinner (or appeared to be). Picture dark meat chicken parts or fatty chucks of gristled beef swimming in a pool of fatty looking gravy. The salad and desert selections, however, were better than expected. The two a la carte restaurants attempted to offer an-upscale dining experience. In contrast to other reviewers, we actually thought that the food at the Mexican option was better than the Italian. One of my Italian appetizers was fried calamari- served stone cold. My main course, a stuffed chicken entrée, was barely warm. If this "Italian" restaurant were competing with other upscale Italian restaurants in the US, it would soon be out of business. But yes, you get what you pay for, and at least the a la carte experience was a welcomed break from the buffet.

Of course, the a la carte reservation game was in high gear. We had to wait 2 two days to get a rez at one of the ala cartes and the window for making that reservation was only 10:00 am - 2:00 pm each day for the following day. The young lady in charge of making the reservation stares and her computer and finally is able to find a table for two after much searching, but not always at the time you prefer. But guess what? Each a la carte restaurant remained half empty each time we were there and each time we peaked in on the nights we were not eating there. Each restaurant can easily accommodate 50 or 60 people at one time, but there were never more than half that number at any time the restaurant was open for business. A not uncommon practice and many all-inclusives.

The bars all seem to have many top-shelf brands and the bartenders are accommodating. No problem there.

STAFF

As many other reviewers have noted, we found the hotel staff to be friendly, helpful and genuinely concerned about doing their job well and pleasing their guests. Waiters, bartenders, front desk, all well groomed, polite and accommodating. We had a toilet problem around 6 PM and called the front desk. Within 10 minutes a maintenance person accompanied by a uniformed security person arrived and fixed the problem quickly. Impressive!

ENTERTAINMENT

There is nightly entertainment in the outdoor show area that seats probably 150. From what we saw, most shows have a half dozen young adults who are talented dancers. So basically every show is three couples with well-choreographed dances to one theme per night- oldies, Vegas, Mexican Wedding etc. Think dance recital from a good dancing school. Again, you get what you pay for.

WI-FI and SHOPPING

Currently there is no free wi-fi at the hotel for regular guests who have not upgraded to the ultimate level- the Royal Club. However, if you need to check email once a day, just walk out the front door, turn right, cross the street and in a few minutes you can walk to a new indoor shopping mall. There's a Starbucks outside and a bunch of stores inside including a MacDonalds. Plenty of seating and free wi-fi from a number of the establishments inside this half-empty mall.

The hotel has a tiny gift shop in the lobby. Never saw anyone in there. There is a small but modern super market in the Mall mentioned above but it's expensive. Almost double in price what you would expect to pay in the US. A six pack of Bud- $10 USD. A tube of sunscreen: $15 USD.

HOTEL

This is an older property. The rooms we experienced were clearly updated and modern. The lobby likewise. However, the some areas of the grounds were shabby. Many outside walkway tiles were cracked, some were missing, landscape walls were crumbling, washing out soil surrounded the buffet building were attractive landscape should have been .The concrete and paving surrounding the beach bar was in disrepair and, in some areas, was a clear safety hazard. Most of the padded chair seats in the buffet had multiple food stains and the chairs themselves showed heavy wear and should have been replaced. However, there was little or no evidence of any of these needed improvements being undertaken. However, there were a dozen construction workers to the left of the main lobby working all day long on what appeared to be a rather large building. I was curious about what they were building so I asked. One of the lobby staff said, "Oh, that will be the new sales office for our Vacation Club." Read On.

VACATION CLUB

No one seems to be using the "T" word any longer at the Mexican hotels once they discovered that the word Timeshare gets about the same reaction from most Americans as the word Cancer. So, instead, the hotel want you to join their "Vacation Club" so you will be forced to keep coming back to the hotels and its sister properties. The Occidental Grand positions several staff member in the their lobby at all times to greet you and answer any questions you may have. They are dressed just like all other staff members but it appears they have a secondary purpose. After they befriend you by learning your name and answering your questions, they attempt to have you sign up for a "tour of the property" during which time you are handed over to the next level of salesperson who invites you to a buffet breakfast and, ultimately, delivers the Vacation Club sales pitch. It was sad to learn that some of these young men who appear to be helpful and friendly hotel lobby staff are actually paid solely on commission based on how many guests they can commit to the Vacation Club "tour." All of this is not unexpected in the world of Mexican hotel marketing. Only the Occidental's approach is a little more subtle and, perhaps, a little more deceptive for the unsuspecting guest.

FINAL THOUGHTS
The Occidental Grand Nuevo has great staff, excellent rooms, and a manageable size with a great physical layout. You don't have to go far to eat, swim, drink or sleep. We understand that a new GM has just started working only weeks ago. Hopefully, she will upgrade the areas of the property that urgently need upgrading and create an approach to marketing the Vacation Club in a straight foward manner that achieves its purpose without sometimes compromising the comfort level of the hotel's guests. The Occidental Grand Nuevo Hotel is a good value ... but it can easily become a great value with the right vision.

3 Thank BJMM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,696 reviews

Been to Occidental Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!