My 15 year old son and I just stayed for 1 week at this resort June 21-28. We got an excellent deal from Air Canada Vacations. I like to organize my reviews into subtopics as follows:
Check-in/Arrival: Not enough front desk staff to make this process smooth, there was a bus full of people waiting in line for too long. We were offered beer and soft drinks in line which made it less painful. I e-mailed the hotel directly for special room requests and they were accommodated.
Room/housekeeping: Room was large enough for two of us, I wouldn't want to be a family of 4 in the room though. Bathroom was spacious. No hair conditioner (I bring my own). Maid service was good, the only complaint would be the floor, not swept properly. My son left the safe open one day and when we came back to the room it had not been cleaned, for security purposes they left the room alone until we returned and lock the safe. I appreciated that.
Concierge/front desk: Friendly and somewhat helpful. They don't seem to know how the bus system works (but yet that is how they all get to work and back) I think they just wanted us to take taxis. They also wouldn't look anything up on the internet for us (I wasn't going to pay $10/day for wi-fi) That bothered me as I only wanted an address for crying out loud!
Restaurants: The buffet is good, the bacon is not! Good waiter service. The Mexican al-a-carte is good, the Italian is just ok. The snack bar is also good.
Bars: Lobby bar is excellent! Hector and Ricardo are wonderful and they make the best drinks at the resort. The beach bar is good, the bartenders do a good job and work hard.
Pool: Very difficult to find a shady lounge chair, full of kids, water was quite warm probably due to the temperature outside. I didn't use the adults pool but there were more chairs there in the shade and of course no kids, however my son is 15 and only 18 and over could be there. :(
Beach: Plenty of lounge chairs, no matter what time of day we could always find a palapa! I loved that I didn't have to go and reserve a palapa at 6am!!!! Drink service was ok, there was only 1 waiter that looked after the pool and the whole beach, they needed 2. Jorge did the best job he could given he was solo!
Nightly entertainment: Half were ok, half were not so great. Karaoke night is fun!
Daily entertainment: Was ok, they only came to tell us about an activity once on the beach, we missed out on pretty much everything.
Check-out: smooth, bellboy service was good.
Overall impression of resort: This is a good resort, 4 **** but not more. The location is not great if you like exploring like we do, especially since the staff don't share bus info. The beach is excellent and that is why I choose this resort, I love the beach and this one is superb! Waves were fun to play in but safe enough that you wouldn't get swamped. Sand was soft, clean.....I highly recommend this resort for it's beach. The food is good (not great) most everything tasted good and was cooked properly. The service is very good, I like the smaller resorts because it is more personal and the staff remembers you. Very easy to get around, very intimate place. There is some work to be done fixing up the grounds but that is not such a big deal. If you are looking for a clean, well priced resort on a great beach then this is the place for you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The all-inclusive Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta is the ideal hotel for families, couples, and friends looking to enjoy a fun vacation on the Pacific shores of Mexico. Recently renovated, Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta has been updated with the latest modern amenities and technology to ensure a pleasant stay. The hotel is situated on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Riviera Nayarit, minutes from the Nuevo Vallarta shopping center and the best stores and restaurants in the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Barcelo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Occidental Nuevo Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Occidental Allegro Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Nuevo Vallarta Occidental Allegro Hotel